• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Between Quests 5 and 6

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Return of the Witch Lord Quest Pack.

Re: Between Quests 5 and 6

Postby Pancho » October 26th, 2018, 2:21 am

j_dean80 wrote:If there is no pause between Quests then how does a new Hero join the party if one dies off?

Either there is no new hero and the party has to continue with a man down, or Mentor magically transports a new starting hero to join the party. There are probably lots of other ways to do it, but that's the two I use.

I have no problem with HQ being very difficult for the Heroes at times. It's no fun for Morcar/Zargon if every quest is a cakewalk and the completion of a quest pack is a foregone conclusion. I do let the Heroes find an extra weapon or potion here and there if they are REALLY struggling and a total party kill is on the cards.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Pancho » October 26th, 2018, 2:23 am

StratosVX wrote:
Pancho wrote:Edit; I've just noticed that as well as becoming an Ogre Lord I've also achieved "Rock Skin". Maybe because of a dodgy joke on another thread....if so, that's beautiful man. Love it.

I noticed that the other day. I actually laughed out loud when I saw that. :lol:

:lol: we have the best mods here.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » October 26th, 2018, 12:26 pm

j_dean80 wrote:If there is no pause between Quests then how does a new Hero join the party if one dies off?

The way my brother and I play, he doesn't. This isn't a problem as I am the EW and he has all the Heroes. I see it as one big quest, so there is no shopping, hiring, or recovery of BP's or spells.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » October 26th, 2018, 1:02 pm

The Admiral wrote:

... or recovery of BP's or spells.

Wow, this really gimps the Heroes, if you ask me :shock: . Ten quests for KK and RotWL, and no regeneration of spells or hitpoints the entire way through?

The rules of those quest packs do state that hitpoints and spells are restored between quests, though.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 26th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Maurice76 wrote:
The Admiral wrote:

... or recovery of BP's or spells.

Wow, this really gimps the Heroes, if you ask me :shock: . Ten quests for KK and RotWL, and no regeneration of spells or hitpoints the entire way through?

The rules of those quest packs do state that hitpoints and spells are restored between quests, though.

They do, but we don't. With powerful Heroes that have trained up with extra skills, and loads of henchmen, plus I add in a Special Henchman who is a custom made Hero that comes with his equipment and skills already. For a big 10 parter there can be as many as 6 Heroes and 15 Henchman.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » October 26th, 2018, 5:59 pm

If you allow the players to buy items beetween quests, you can also do this beetween quest 5 and 6 of Witch Lord, because after quest 5 they go to buy items but later they are captured and their equipment is stolen (but hey will find it later, during quest 6).
If you put random merchants during the quest be prepared to face a hero that wish to slain the merchant and robber all his stuff at once!
Some quest packs (Kellar and Witch Lord also) are intended to be one long adventure, from the beginning to the end. Maybe only in Against the Ogre Horde it is specified that the players can not buy items through the quests, but I guess in the previous there should be the same rule.
This is from page 11 of the Ogre questbook:
ogre rules as a series.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » October 28th, 2018, 9:59 pm

lestodante wrote:If you put random merchants during the quest be prepared to face a hero that wish to slain the merchant and robber all his stuff at once!

Come on... that's easy, we all know merchants in dungeons have a spell of disappearance. Try rob one and it's BOOM! Smoky sleepy time. The Heroes get nothing!!!

I prefer to think of the 'magical transportation' more as stumbling across a trapped or lost Hero who's quite eager to join you.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 13th, 2021, 5:40 am

More on replacing Heroes in the middle of a Quest Pack was also discussed at "campaigns" in HQ.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Get busy living or get busy dying...

Postby Kurgan » September 13th, 2021, 9:01 am

Finding prisoners is always an option...

Or rescue missions...
How did you get in here?
Wasn't easy!

Shopping is part of the fun of the game, so while I see the logic of those wanting more "realism" and "storytelling" I personally am in favor of keeping it in there, but if you need reasons...

How do you get shop items in prison? This man can make it happen: |_P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » December 31st, 2023, 7:13 pm

Hahahaha, man, I love that!!
Now I want a Red miniature for my Quests.
The Hero's stumble across him and ask him if he can get some stuff for them.
Red answers, " I have been known to acquire stuff from time to time, but if you're caught, you don't mention my name to Morcar's forces"
Next quest, the items that asked for are by chance stumbled across in a cupboard or secret room!!
Brilliant.
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Previous

Return to Return of the Witch Lord