• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Between Quests 5 and 6

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Return of the Witch Lord Quest Pack.

Between Quests 5 and 6

Postby wallydubbs » October 24th, 2018, 9:47 am

If the heroes are captured are they allowed to go to the Armory or Alchemist Shop?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Between Quests 5 and 6

Postby Pancho » October 24th, 2018, 9:58 am

My view on the expansion packs is that Heroes don't get to go to the Armoury/Alchemist shop at all between quests. It's like one big adventure underground without returns to the surface world like in the original game system. Heroes have to go on a big shopping spree before the first quest, and try to plan to take enough equipment & potions to last them until the final quest.

But if I was playing that players COULD usually go shopping between quests, I definitely wouldn't allow them to do so between quests 5 and 6 of RotWL. Our guys are supposed to be rotting in a prison cell, after all.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » October 24th, 2018, 10:33 am

What I am planning for in the coming playthrough I want to do with my group of friends, is to add a situational merchant camp. For instance, in Return of the Witch Lord, I might add an Undead merchant who simply couldn't give up his old profession and still sells stuff to potential customers. In Kellar's Keep, during the dungeon crawl, they might encounter a group of mercenaries or rogues who've been stealing from the Orc tribes, who also have stuff to sell to the Heroes. This is between quests, by the way, and not between every quest. I am thinking about just once, about halfway through the quest series.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 24th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Pancho wrote:My view on the expansion packs is that Heroes don't get to go to the Armoury/Alchemist shop at all between quests. It's like one big adventure underground without returns to the surface world like in the original game system. Heroes have to go on a big shopping spree before the first quest, and try to plan to take enough equipment & potions to last them until the final quest.

But if I was playing that players COULD usually go shopping between quests, I definitely wouldn't allow them to do so between quests 5 and 6 of RotWL. Our guys are supposed to be rotting in a prison cell, after all.

Yep, what he said.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nicodemus » October 24th, 2018, 6:37 pm

The Admiral wrote:
Pancho wrote:My view on the expansion packs is that Heroes don't get to go to the Armoury/Alchemist shop at all between quests. It's like one big adventure underground without returns to the surface world like in the original game system. Heroes have to go on a big shopping spree before the first quest, and try to plan to take enough equipment & potions to last them until the final quest.

Yep, what he said.

Ditto to both

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 24th, 2018, 8:02 pm

The alchemist shop specifically says can only be purchased between quests so I always allowed that.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » October 25th, 2018, 7:12 am

Yes, this occurred to me, that since Keller's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord and other expansions are played like a giant quest they, realistically, wouldn't be able to go to the Alchemist Shop or Armory, but if that we're the case, what would be the point of all the gold collected along the way?

It occurred to me that heroes would be limited in this regard, but maybe to give the furniture specific value I was thinking any time a hero comes across a weapons rack they can purchase weapons, and maybe the Alchemist Bench would allow them to buy potions. I think this would make things more exciting for the heroes especially in the harder levels of Keller's Keep as they run out of supplies. However in Return of the Witch Lord most of the chambers are baron. As many people find RotWL too easy when fully equipped.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Pancho » October 25th, 2018, 7:43 am

wallydubbs wrote:Yes, this occurred to me, that since Keller's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord and other expansions are played like a giant quest they, realistically, wouldn't be able to go to the Alchemist Shop or Armory, but if that we're the case, what would be the point of all the gold collected along the way?

In my view the players should be amassing large amounts of gold for the next expansion pack. As the Heroes are likely to be out of potions by the end of a pack, and as each successive pack gets arguable more difficult than the previous one, they will need to collect boat loads of gold before they can move on to the next adventure. This is also partly why they collect a one-off reward from the Emperor for successfully completing a pack. Potions are very expensive, men-at-arms are required for many of the later packs and these are very expensive too, and some of the fan made packs introduce high costs for vital items as well. So players need to be very wealthy as they move forward.

That said, I do appreciate that players will get irritated by not being able to spend the money they have collected between quests. Some people here at the Inn go ahead and let them spend gold between quests. It's really a case of personal choice for the Evil Wizard player with a lot of these kind of issues. The official rules can be very vague and contradictory at times.

Edit; I've just noticed that as well as becoming an Ogre Lord I've also achieved "Rock Skin". Maybe because of a dodgy joke on another thread....if so, that's beautiful man. Love it.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 25th, 2018, 7:30 pm

If there is no pause between Quests then how does a new Hero join the party if one dies off?
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » October 25th, 2018, 11:47 pm

Pancho wrote:Edit; I've just noticed that as well as becoming an Ogre Lord I've also achieved "Rock Skin". Maybe because of a dodgy joke on another thread....if so, that's beautiful man. Love it.

I noticed that the other day. I actually laughed out loud when I saw that. :lol:

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member