Page 1 of 1

Is it normal to not to use all the miniatures?

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2023, 3:42 pm
by Alby87
Hi!

I recentely done a solo run via the app of this expansions. I noticed that, except for one Abomination/Fimir, I never used any miniature from the pack: everything in the base game was sufficent. I clean the room every time before going to the next... but I never needed to use other miniatures. So I'm asking: why the quest pack wasn't made to use them?

Thank you :)

Re: Is it normal to not to use all the miniatures?

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2023, 5:58 pm
by j_dean80
Alby87 wrote:Hi!

I recentely done a solo run via the app of this expansions. I noticed that, except for one Abomination/Fimir, I never used any miniature from the pack: everything in the base game was sufficent. I clean the room every time before going to the next... but I never needed to use other miniatures. So I'm asking: why the quest pack wasn't made to use them?

Thank you :)


The designers have to account for people who open doors and run off. Not everyone clears out each room at a time. Sometimes parties also split up.

Re: Is it normal to not to use all the miniatures?

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2023, 8:34 pm
by Kurgan
Having the extra minis is more of a luxury (or an option for making your own quests; more for painters to paint). ROTWL on the other hand specifically DOES call for more undead creatures than come in the game system box.

Of course the rule has always been that if you do run out of monsters, substitute a monster of the same color/similar strength.

Re: Is it normal to not to use all the miniatures?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2023, 2:47 am
by Alby87
To be honest, never tought of running away and splitting parties! Thanks for the your replies (now waiting for the new two quest packs to appear in the app before ROTWL :D)

Re: Is it normal to not to use all the miniatures?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2023, 12:08 pm
by wallydubbs
I think the only time you might ever have to use all the minis would be Halls of Dwarven Kings... You MIGHT use all the Greenskins if the heroes are delayed getting to the exit.

You could always look at The Gate of Doom in Return of the Witch Lord, where the initial battle uses all available skeleton maybe even +1 if you don't kill the starting skeleton in the hallway before opening the door

Re: Is it normal to not to use all the miniatures?

PostPosted: December 31st, 2023, 4:20 pm
by TheLastChaosWarrior
You would need all of your undead miniatures if you played the quest pack I have written as a sort of final battle against Morcar!!
It is an attempt by me to bridge the timeline between Morcar and Zargon.
In one Quest, you are against a Sorcerer called Falroth, who Morcar made responsible for creating the endless undead used in Morcars assaults.
I used the centre fire pit tile from ATOH and every square except the three tiles square near the door is occupied with an undead creature!!!!
Mwah mwah haaah!!!!