• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My Own Custom Chest

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

My Own Custom Chest

Postby CaptainNeatoman » October 4th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Hey guys-

I'm really excited about this one. Inspired by Ethica's awesome custom HeroQuest box (http://www.yeoldeinn.com/hqforum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=321), and with the help of my father, who is a professional woodworker (and conveniently lives three miles away from me), I decided to make my own. We're partway through right now, but we got a LOT done over the weekend and I have some in-progress pictures to show you all.

Although I really loved Ethica's box, I wanted to do something a little different. Specifically, while I loved the idea of having a stronger, more secure place to store my game, I didn't like the idea of throwing out my original cardboard game box with all the classic artwork (or trying to store it separately somehow). So, we conceived the idea of making the new box three levels instead of two. The inside of the lid, where Ethica has the figures stored, will instead contain the original game box, so that when you open the wooden lid, you are met with the HeroQuest graphics. Below that, the main section of the box will contain the Armory panel with the furniture pieces under it, and partitioned sections just like Ethica's for the quest books and cards. Below THAT, there will be a drawer which opens from the front, containing all the figures.

Here's a .pdf containing an early design of this concept, which we did not end up using, but which is perfectly doable if anyone wants to give it a go.
HeroQuest Box.pdf

The reason we didn't use this is because we realized that once we made the box three levels, it was actually tall enough to look like a chest, so we altered the design to play that up.

This, basically, is what we did do:
We made minor changes to this design on the fly. The drawing shows two small drawers, which we changed back to one big drawer (long story), and one leather strap, which we are now planning to make into two evenly placed straps, so that I can carve the HQ logo into the lid between them. Otherwise, this is the design we went with.

We got to work with some 3/4 inch thick cedar planks leftover from when my dad had built a hope chest as a wedding present for my sister, and it turned out we had just enough.

Loving the chest idea, we ran to Rockler (a local woodworking store) to get some appropriate hardware. Here's a lock for the lid section:

This is what the hinges will look like:

We got two of these AWESOME pulls for the drawer:

And these fancy lift handles for the sides of the chest:

First we cut and assembled the pieces labeled B (sides) and C (front) in the drawing, as well as what we called C-1 (the back, which we had forgotten to draw, but which we thankfully had enough wood for anyway). We did these and all other joints using wood glue and clamps.

Next, we made the lid panel (F). We did not have a plank wide enough, so we had to join two together using a liberal application of clamps and wood glue:

While that was drying, we cut the other lid pieces (A and G), then assembled the lid, by which time it was getting dark and we had to pack it in for the day (we'd spent a LOT of time getting the hardware). I returned the next day to find my dad had gotten impatient and attached the lid to the box, even though we're eventually going to have to take those hinges back off again to finish. It was worth it to get a glimpse of what we're working towards:

I ran inside to get the original lid and geek out a little:

So next we wanted to make the drawer. We'd already cut the front, sides, and back for the drawer box, but we realized we needed to get the bottom of the chest on before we could assemble the drawer, since the thickness of the bottom affects how high the drawer front has to be mounted onto the drawer box. We were out of 3/4 inch cedar planks (which, by the way, smell exactly like a cigar box) but we came across an unused cedar fence board in the rafters of the garage. It was a different type of cedar, so it was lighter in color (fine for the bottom - it'll even out when we do the finishing anyway), and it's only a 1/2 inch thick, which is good because it leaves that much more clearance for the figures inside the drawer (we did a lot of agonizing to make sure the drawer was tall enough for the tallest HQ figures.) Anyway, the fence board needed to be cut into three and glued together in order to be wide enough to be our floor. This is what it looked like when done:

Once we had that in, we used it to mark where we needed to attach the drawer front to the sides, then made dado grooves in all the drawer pieces (no photos of that process, sorry) and assembled them together, along with a drawer bottom made of a sheet of matching cedar plywood we picked up.

While that was drying, we used that same sheet of plywood to cut the shelf for the center section, then built and glued in our partitions, adding rails to the front and the back to hold up the game board when the pieces get put in. It was at this point that I realized there was no way I was going to put felt in there and cover up all that beautiful wood. I had been planning to, but screw it. This looks awesome:

So we got the drawer done, but then it was getting dark again, so we had to call it. I put the lid back on and put the game pieces in just to get a look:
I know, that green ribbon is not an appropriate color for this chest, but I needed something to help me pop the armory panel up, since it fits so snugly that you can't get your fingers under it. My wife said she has a black cloth ribbon at work that I can replace this with, so hopefully she will bring me that today.

If there is any minor flaw with the design at this point, it's that the chest ended up being so darn big that the game board doesn't fit snugly when you lay it in there:
So it could slide around in there. I have ideas about fixing this by taking 1/4 inch off the partitions and rails in the exact shape of the board, so that it will sit in its own little notch, but I'm not married to it. We'll see what happens.

Also, the interior of the drawer is an issue:
I laid this out just for spacing. Obviously, those dividers I cut are much too wide. The figures shown here represent the core system, and the Kellar's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord, Against the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar expansions. I don't yet have the Frozen Horror or Mage of the Mirror expansions, but it's clear that when I get them, there will not be enough room for the figures if I go with this layout. I have a few ideas (my favorite so far being to just get one big piece of foam core to cover the bottom, and cut slits in it for the figures to be pushed into like a ring in a jewelry box), but I'm open to any suggestions you might have. Ethica's solution is still on the table, but we'll see what I decide to do.

So that's all there is for now guys. I'll be spending time this week in between work sanding down the joints until they're smooth, carving the logo in the lid, distressing the wood for that "300-year-old chest" look, shellacking the whole thing, then attaching the hardware. I'll update with progress as it gets made. Thanks to Ethica for the idea, thanks to Dad for all the help, and thanks to everyone else for looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CaptainNeatoman on October 5th, 2010, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainNeatoman

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: My Own Custom Chest

Postby Tott » October 5th, 2010, 6:04 am

nice! cant wait to see it finished!
will you be posting up and plans or instructions as well?
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Phoenix » October 5th, 2010, 7:20 am

I believe I have just creamed myself.... |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby CaptainNeatoman » October 5th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Tott- Yes, I intend to post a how-to when it's all finished, though it will only be slightly more detailed than the descriptions I already gave.

Phoenix - Go clean yourself up. And FYI, I'm toying with the idea you gave Ethica about burning a white shield/black shield/skull pattern in the chest. I'm not sure where yet (or if), but I agree it would be totally sweet.

Now, time for an update. Yesterday I got all the uneven joints sanded down using a power sander and some 60 grain sandpaper. In most places, you can't even tell there is a joint there if you have your eyes closed. There's no way to really show that in pictures, but when you're touching it, it really makes the chest that much more awesome.

Next, it was time to start carving the logo into the lid. My dad tells me that the way the professionals do this sort of thing is by tracing with carbon paper. I'm not a professional and I have no carbon paper, but fortunately I'm using a soft enough wood that I can just trace this with a ball point pen:
And if I push hard enough, the imprint is left in the wood afterward:
Then I just traced the imprint in pencil and viola!:

Is it a little small? Yes, it looks like it now, but I measured where I'm going to be putting the straps and made the logo as big as possible to fit in between them. So hopefully it'll all make sense when I'm done. Anyway, the next step was figuring out how the hell to carve that logo. I'm a complete novice at this and I severely doubted my ability to consistently carve to two distinct levels levels of depth. In the end, I decided to try and make the wood carving an actual representation of what the HeroQuest logo is supposed to look like. Namely, I want to have raised the letters without telling the viewer what perspective to look at them from. So I got to work and actually carved out the very bottom, where the darkest colored stone is on the logo. At my dad's suggestion, I am also creating a slope down to that depth starting some distance away from the main carving, so that the letters have someplace to be raised from. Hopefully, when you look at this from in front at a slightly low angle, it will just look exactly like the HQ logo:

That's as far as I got yesterday where actual progress is concerned, but I did give in to my need to skip ahead and attached all the hardware I have for it:

Picture the leather straps running around the trunk front to back, outside the logo carving, and inside the lion head drawer pulls. Also, you've probably noticed there are no feet yet. I'm getting to that.

For holding the figures in, we've decided to go with simple weather stripping stuck to the bottom of the drawer in strips. So basically, Ethica's idea but with a different material. Obviously, we can't stick it in until after the shellac is done, but we tested it on another piece of wood and it works great.

So that's all for now folks! Thanks for the encouragement! I will continue updating until it's done.
CaptainNeatoman

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby drathe » October 5th, 2010, 1:01 pm

That's freakin' awesome! I'm definitely building my own chest next summer! And a matching custom table...

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ethica » October 5th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Awesome! I love the hardware and you have alot more room in there for future stuff in there which is what I wish I had. Can't wait to see the finished article.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby CaptainNeatoman » October 5th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Thanks Ethica!

Carved...

And sanded:

Now I need to figure out what to do next.
CaptainNeatoman

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby CaptainNeatoman » October 6th, 2010, 9:13 pm

A little more progress today. I don't have a woodburning kit, but I finally got my hands on a working soldering iron and completed the logo:

Now I just want to add some runners to keep the drawer from dipping when you open it, and I'll be ready to shellac the whole thing, reattach the hardware, and put some straps on it (when I get them.)

Almost done!
CaptainNeatoman

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby CaptainNeatoman » October 7th, 2010, 1:54 am

Alright, I'm entering the final stretch here. I've applied the first coat of shellac (yes, I noticed I missed that one bit - I'll fix it tomorrow) and I've done a mild distressing of the wood to add that aged look.

Tomorrow I'll be mixing up a darker shade of shellac to do the second coat. The stuff takes 24 hours to be ready, so I won't be able to apply it until Friday, but after that... I will hopefully be done. Until the leather straps arrive.

Since I've decided not to shellac the interior of the box, I went ahead and laid down the weather stripping to hold the figures in place in the drawer. As you can see, there's now plenty of room for more.

I'm jumping out of my skin to see this thing finished. Patience... patience...
CaptainNeatoman

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Tott » October 7th, 2010, 5:31 am

oh forget patience we wanna see this! cmon! :P
awesome job so far, cant wait to see it finished, very nicely done!
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Other Expansion Topics