• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

How to counter door blocking + Crossbow LoS issues

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

How to counter door blocking + Crossbow LoS issues

Postby Goblin-King » October 12th, 2014, 2:41 pm

We've all tried it...
A beautiful room full of monsters, but the heroes doesn't enter...
Instead the barbarian blocks the doorway while the elf hails arrows...

Question is: How do you counter this without inventing new content like double sided doors or random events and stuff like that?
Stuff that can be handled via quest notes are most welcome.
Here is what I could come up with:

* Place fireball shooting statues in the hallways. Force the heroes into the room.

* Place two doors to the same room. Once one is opened the other opens automatically as well. Flank the heroes.

* Make two rooms connected. Once one is opened the other opens automatically as well. Flanking again.

That's it... I'm out of ideas...

Post yours! :gargoyle:
Last edited by Goblin-King on October 16th, 2014, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: How to counter door blocking

Postby chaoticprime » October 12th, 2014, 2:52 pm

The Elf isn't allowed to shoot through the Barbarian.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » October 12th, 2014, 3:05 pm

I use my turn to set up the monsters to get the most attacks once they step in.
If they refuse to enter, perhaps an orc finds a pass through rock scroll in the corner, go attack the wizard
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » October 12th, 2014, 3:20 pm

chaoticprime wrote:The Elf isn't allowed to shoot through the Barbarian.

Let me counter the counterargument: He's not allowed to shoot diagonally through the door if the square in front of the door and adjacent to the Elf is occupied.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » October 12th, 2014, 3:47 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Post yours! :gargoyle:

I've tried to tackle this problem by using open doorways in the quest notes.

Check out The Revenant (note C) and Kasarin's Tomb as examples.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » October 12th, 2014, 4:07 pm

I whole-heartedly agree that the elf would not be able to use the bow and arrow in such a situation.

Second, I always like the idea of open-doors/archways...this allows for monsters to move freely once
the heroes have been spotted by a room or group of monsters.

Third - my idea(s):
Introducing the idea of monsters with reach weapons is great for this - sure, a barbarian
might be able to stand up to one monster at a time at the door - but if three are going at him at once, the
odds go down quite a bit. I might even say to reduce his ability to defend in such a situation, as well...though
that might be seen as a bit heavy handed.

You could try reducing any treasure found in rooms when this is done - I would explain this ahead of time, though,
to make sure the players understand the reasoning behind it...that being that the point of the game is not for the
barbarian to stand at the door and fight all the monsters available.

And again, at the start of the game, make sure the players understand the point of the game. A lot of the problems
I see everybody post on here seem to come down to the fact that players don't really want to play the game as intended.
Much like those D&D players who play thieves and assassins simply so they can steal from their fellow players and kill them
when the chance arises. That's not what the game is about. You're heroes...you're friends...you're comrades in arms. The
idea behind the game is for everyone to work together and have fun. If players don't want to play the game like this, it
might be time to pick out something else to play.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » October 12th, 2014, 4:21 pm

torilen wrote:And again, at the start of the game, make sure the players understand the point of the game. A lot of the problems
I see everybody post on here seem to come down to the fact that players don't really want to play the game as intended.

Too true. There is nothing 'Heroic' about standing in the doorway and bludgeoning the monsters to death one at a time.

torilen wrote:Third - my idea(s):
Introducing the idea of monsters with reach weapons is great for this

Now that you mentioned this... Monsters with ranged weapons have a similar effect. It may not encourage the Heroes into the room but whoever stands blocking the doorway is going to go down in a hail of arrows (maybe :roll: )
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sotiris » October 12th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Try this:
as only the heroes may open doors, enable the monsters to close'em (free action, only monsters may close doors). A re-closed door needs an action to be opened again.

If heroes are playing clockwise it will be more effective!
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Schmidt » October 12th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Give the monsters bows and chaos spells if barbie won't move!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » October 12th, 2014, 4:54 pm

chaoticprime wrote:The Elf isn't allowed to shoot through the Barbarian.

Agreed. I use the magic line of sight rule for the crossbow. I don't allow people to shoot over the dwarf either.

For the original rules, I don't have any suggestions but this tactic gets annoying. For my revised rules, (as mentioned) the monsters might have weapons that allow more flexibility. I am looking also forward to Eddie's double and portcullis doors. Maybe you could have a portcullis door behind them which is opened by a monster in that room and lets out more monsters?

Maybe add in a falling roof trap over the entrance to the door? :mrgreen:
Or a rolling boulder behind them? :twisted:
Or allow monsters to move - attack - move against people camping out in the doorway? 8-)
Or point out that the door has toilet door hinges that keep closing after a players turn? :lol:
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion