• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Noob here, be gentle.

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Noob here, be gentle.

Postby MrBigB » November 7th, 2013, 4:49 am

Hello from the great north-west USA!

I've been a huge fan of HeroQuest since I got the game for Christmas back in 1990. My friends and I spent countless nights crawling through the Zargon's dungeons, though looking back we really had no idea what we were doing as none of us had the patience to actually read the entire instruction manual. After a year or so I began to loose more and more pieces/figures (as 10 year olds tend to do) until sadly all but a small handdful of game pieces were left.

Never the less, HeroQuest has held a special place in my heart all these years. I was ecstatic when a good friend found his old set this past August and I got the DM for my group of buddies, who had never even heard of the game (yes we read the manual this time!).
We played for a ridiculous 10+ hours resulting in one of the most fun gaming days of my life. I immediately went online to buy copy of the game... but yeah, that was not happening :shock:

Since then, I've set out to make my own DIY copy of the game (figures, board, dice, et all) that I hope I can introduce my own kids to some day :D It's progressing nicely, albeit somewhat amateurish compared to what I've seen here. I'm excited to share what I have if folks are interested.

On that note I must say thank you to all the content creators/editors/uploaders here. I've been lurking around the site for months pilfering ideas, images, scans, ect. If not for your INCREDIBLE talent my project would have crashed and burned right out of the gate.

Thanks!
-Brandon
Last edited by MrBigB on November 14th, 2013, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Noob here, be gentle.

Postby TMU » November 7th, 2013, 6:41 am

Welcome, it's nice to hear that you have decided to join in the fun ;)

On a side note: So you have done that wizard yourself? How? :D
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 7th, 2013, 7:48 am

Welcome!!!

Looks like OneMonk's images, somehow transferred onto a thin piece of wood? Looks nice.

You're in the US, so there should be plenty of HQ games on eBay. Just keep looking, and mostly: be patient. You will eventually find a copy for less than $50,-. Or wait for the kickstarter of the new 25th anniversary HeroQuest. There's a topic of it here at the Inn. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1907
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Count Von Bruno » November 7th, 2013, 7:53 am

Welcome, and I'm a bigger noob than you are!

Keep hunting for the game, I got the main box, Kellar's Keep and ROTWK complete in one lot for $110 Australian (very comparative to US) last week on ebay-just be patient and thorough/persistent.
(I haven't received it yet though :gargoyle: )
Count Von Bruno

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 7th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Welcome!

It's ALWAYS a pleasure to see a big bald tattooed guy play Hero Quest!
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Holy &#%@ ! It looks like he is playing the Elf! Perfect!

Is it really worth it in time/money to make everything yourself like that?!? :o
I would think you'd be able to pick up the game system at a reasonable price.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 7th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Goblin-King wrote:It's ALWAYS a pleasure to see a big bald tattooed guy play Hero Quest!

All in one person, eh!?...
Bene is Big, I am tattoed, Sjeng is bald. That's all we've been having.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » November 7th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Bald is beautiful baby! :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby MrBigB » November 7th, 2013, 1:20 pm

TMU wrote:Welcome, it's nice to hear that you have decided to join in the fun ;)

On a side note: So you have done that wizard yourself? How? :D

Yep. I started with a printout of the images I found here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79816/hq-paper-minis

I colored them in GIMP (I'm too cheap for Photoshop). From there I printed them on sticker paper, glue them onto 1/8 inch MDF board, cut them out on a scroll saw, then glued the back image on. I glued the figure down to a generic Warhammer slotted base.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » November 7th, 2013, 1:56 pm

I don't know how much that costs but looks kinda cool if you ask me :D
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby MrBigB » November 7th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Welcome!

It's ALWAYS a pleasure to see a big bald tattooed guy play Hero Quest!
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Holy &#%@ ! It looks like he is playing the Elf! Perfect!

Is it really worth it in time/money to make everything yourself like that?!? :o
I would think you'd be able to pick up the game system at a reasonable price.

Thanks for having me :-)

So far I have the figures, modular board, 15 d6 dice, cards, tiles (stairs and such), and am currently building doors. The money invested so far in the project has been surprising small (~$60), but am easily 75-80 hours into it. But the building is half the fun! (I've been described as "crafty" more then a few times)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next