• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - Heralds of Chaos

Discuss Quest creation and share Quests/Quest Packs you've created.

[Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - Heralds of Chaos

Postby Count Mohawk » October 17th, 2013, 10:35 pm

1/1/2015 Update: Welcome to 2015, everyone! I bring a mostly-complete version of Heralds of Chaos for download! You can find it in PDF or in DOCX form. The only thing I forgot to add was some tiles for the furniture and such; I'll fix that in a little while.

A preview of the first three Quests is available here!
4/17/14 Update: You can now download a second preview showcasing the first 6 Quests here!
11/6/14 Update: You can now download a third and final preview showcasing the first 9 Quests, minus the details of the encounter in the final room, here!

A 12-Quest campaign set in the borderlands of the Empire. The Heroes are called upon to quell a series of escalating conflicts, from the Orcish raiders of the Black Fire Mountains to a cult of once-good priests who have turned to worshipping Chaos, culminated by a confrontation with something more sinister lurking within the Acropolis of Kurst...

This Quest Pack is best left for a party of experienced Heroes, as its difficulty is intended to be slightly above that of Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord. The previewed Quests feature, from official expansions, the 4x4 carpet room, an extra Weapons Rack, two Dwarven Forges and a Long Pit trap. You will need three extra Orc figures to designate as more powerful than normal Orcs. The spellcasters in the third Quest know spells not from the Game System, but their effects are included on the reference page at the back of the preview document. All other materials can be found in the Game System.

You can download a ZIP folder with all of the required tiles here! Most of them are hidden away in the Inn somewhere but I've done you a solid and put them all in one place. Cards to come later.
[Materials for quests 4-12 to be added]

[Additional components needed beyond those mentioned above*: 2 Chaos Furies, 2 Chaos Priests, 1 Chaos Warrior with battle axe, 2 Chaos Warriors with crossbow, 2 Crossbowmen, 1 Cult-Leader Nero, 4 Death Knights, 1 Fimir with battle axe and plate mail, 2 Fimir with chain mail, 2 Fimir with hammer, 1 Fimir with hammer and chain, 1 Fimir with shield, 1 Fimir with tower shield, 1 Goblin with battle axe, 1 Goblin with battle axe and chain mail, 2 Goblins with broadsword, 1 Goblin with chain mail, 1 Goblin with crossbow, 1 Goblin with helmet, 1 Goblin with plate mail, 1 Goblin with shield, 1 Goblin with shortbow, 4 Halberdiers, 1 Lesser Chaos Deity, +1 Mummy, 2 Orcs with broadsword, 3 Orcs with broadsword and chain mail, 2 Orcs with broadsword and helmet, 2 Orcs with broadsword and shield, 3 Orcs with chain mail, 2 Orcs with crossbow and shield, 1 Orc with greatsword, 1 Orc with hammer, 4 Orcs with hammer and shield, 2 Orcs with helmet, 3 Orcs with helmet and shield, 2 Orcs with shield, 2 Orcs with shortbow, 1 Orc with tower shield, 1 Orc Boss, 2 Orc Bosses with broadsword and chain mail, 1 Orc Boss with shield, Orc Boss with tower shield, 3 Paladins, 3 Paladins with crossbows, 2 Scouts, 1 Swordsman, 1 Swordsman with battle axe, 2 Skeletons with crossbows, +1 Zombie
1 Closed and 1 Open Double Door (from Ye Olde Inn), 8 Crates (from Agin's Inn Archive), 1 Iron Entrance and 1 Wooden Exit Door (from Frozen Horror, Keller's Keep, Mage in the Mirror, or Return of the Witch Lord), 2 Portals (from Ye Olde Inn), +1 Stairs Tile, 1 long and 2 short Stairway Tiles (from KK)

* The figure list above, particularly the variously-armed Main Game System monsters, should be taken with a grain of salt. The idea is to have figures that are differentiated in some way. For instance, a standard Goblin with hand ax figure can be designated as a Goblin with a battle axe and chain mail if other, regular Goblin figures in the combat have swords. -edit]
Last edited by Daedalus on May 3rd, 2017, 2:35 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: Formatting

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: [Preview] [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] - Heralds of Chaos

Postby torilen » October 18th, 2013, 9:55 am

Looks real good so far. I like the story line and the design, nice touch adding in some about Balur.
I love the use of the tiny weapon and armor icons. I may have to steal that from you. :)

Keep up the great work.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 19th, 2013, 10:32 am

Monsters using equipment is a great idea. One thing I'd add would be a gold coin reward for returning the weapon racks and various equipment held by monsters.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » April 13th, 2014, 1:14 am

I have updated the first post to reflect the second preview of this pack, expanding it out to Quest 6. The Heroes invade a church and find not all is as it seems! Also, the flamberge sword the boss Orc carries in Quest 3 now has a listed effect, and it is very powerful...

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mako-heart » April 13th, 2014, 9:36 am

Count Mohawk wrote:I have updated the first post to reflect the second preview of this pack, expanding it out to Quest 6. The Heroes invade a church and find not all is as it seems! Also, the flamberge sword the boss Orc carries in Quest 3 now has a listed effect, and it is very powerful...

Looks rad map wise , When i click on preview there is no text just the maps... :(
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » April 17th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Oops! Let me try that again using a different file uploader. Link in the first post has been updated to reflect this; try it again.

Rewards:
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » November 6th, 2014, 11:53 am

I have uploaded the last review before the full Quest Pack is released, now taking viewers all the way through Quest 9. One of Morcar's sorcerers has taken magical control of an entire city and fortified it strongly against any who would throw him down! The Heroes must make their way into his tower and dispose of him. But what is the necromancer Bane doing here...?

Rewards:
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 6th, 2014, 12:30 pm

At quick glance, i like the use of the weapons and the extra characters on icons, where are these etc, did you make them?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » November 6th, 2014, 12:36 pm

The little weapon and armor icons are courtesy of Derfel Link in one of his many Icon Packs for HeroScribe; specifically, the "Derfel Link Icon Pack 1.0.11". (Check his website http://www.heroscribe.org.) Many people have difficulty getting the various extra icons to work correctly in HeroScribe, but if you're one of the few that can, they open all sorts of doors in the Quest-creation process.

Rewards:
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » November 12th, 2014, 3:42 pm

At first I had trouble with the icon packs, but eventually figured it out. The install directions work, but can be interpreted differently..

What ended up working for me was a drag-and-drop of all the icons, excluding overwrites--simple moving the folders into the directory broke thing.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Quests and Quest Packs