• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Warning about buying recasts!

Guests may gather here to barter their goods, let others know what items they are searching for and post links to items others may be interested in. Or just vent about the outrageous prices on eBay.
Forum rules
Ye Olde Inn is not responsible for the trades/purchases made in this forum. Please exchange private information and transaction details via PM.

Re: Warning about buying recasts!

Postby asdxzdew » June 13th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Hi i am the guy from Canada who makes the metal recasts

Photography skills!!! so thats why my figures weren't selling so well (thank you drathe, I am now getting my spouse to take photos for me, strange story, but i got a new camera , and the damn thing blurs almost all the time, I dont have a very steady hand )

The big thing is i have little time, and making the figures does take a while. I might also add that i usually tend to clean the pieces outside, and only do it as ordered basis, and since i am from Canada, its -18C 6 months of the year, 4 months of the year there are so many black flies and mosquitoes that i can't be bothered to work outside (i refuse to do it inside, as i do not want metal dust on the inside of my house)

I am glad to seethat i wasn't slammed on here for anything, I personally love heroquest, and am currently making 3-d rooms for it (ice gremlin treasure room and frozen horror room)

I find that the work i put in is just pure passion, as i average about 10$ an hour or less for the work i put into making these pieces.

I am not sure what a fair price is for my recasts, but i usually ask 4-10$ a figure, depending on how hard they are to make (mercenaries are the easiest by far, giant wolf and frozen horror hard !! )

If anyone is interested , I have all metal versions of the quest packs, (except female barbarian figure, )

message me at brad_769@hotmail.com

please dont be discouraged about buying recasts, I personally am just trying save people some money and save money for my family here.
asdxzdew

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » June 13th, 2014, 3:53 pm

Schmidt wrote:Which do you prefer: Semi-hardened honey or gypsum?
At least that is what I think it is made of.

Even the best gypsum would break at points like the Ice Gremlin's weapon. I think it is something smilar to Milliput, but that's just a guess. The matte surface also makes the details more visible, what makes part of the better look compared to Goldenboy's resin (of course the details also actually are better).
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Schmidt » June 13th, 2014, 4:01 pm

I think I was referring to what the colors resembled.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby adtbm » June 27th, 2014, 8:17 pm

Hi, i also have the problem, that i would like to get the EQ & BQ figurines. But the prices at the moment are incredibly high for the whole Questpacks.

Thanks to you forum, i was able to spot all those recasted figures quite fast and (at least for the moment) i mad the decision to replace the figures with similar looking ones.

I have asked Billdask, but unfortunatley he is not doing any new recasts at the moment.

It is a pitty, that Games workshop is just not re-releasing a set of those figurines..

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
adtbm

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: Deutsch
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby asdxzdew » July 6th, 2014, 7:49 am

I was wondering, I was checking this goldenboys ebay listings, and how the heck is he selling so many recast heroquest figures??? the castings are not better than the ones I make (in my opinion), and mine sit on ebay for lower prices. Sorry to ask such a BS question, but it brings me to the question of how much a recast is worth? Or , honest opinion, are mine really that bad? I am eventually going to pull my listings from ebay because they simply aren't selling.
asdxzdew

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » July 6th, 2014, 12:41 pm

asdxzdew wrote:I was wondering, I was checking this goldenboys ebay listings, and how the heck is he selling so many recast heroquest figures??? the castings are not better than the ones I make (in my opinion), and mine sit on ebay for lower prices. Sorry to ask such a BS question, but it brings me to the question of how much a recast is worth? Or , honest opinion, are mine really that bad? I am eventually going to pull my listings from ebay because they simply aren't selling.

It's more than likely about shipping costs. The MM and FH sets weren't released in Europe and it's cheaper for them to purchase locally, rather than from across the Atlantic.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » July 6th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Patroclus should list his. That would kill Goldendboy quickly. I'm annoyed how he's making money with crappy recasts :(
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby asdxzdew » July 6th, 2014, 3:58 pm

I figured I was doing something wrong, must be waaaaay more fans of heroquest in Europe as compared to north America. (I am really surprised no one wants to pony up 25$ for 20 figures across the atlantic) must be the fact that it takes longer the shipping ,

Over here people tend to value it less I suppose, Most of my offers are in the neighbourhood of 3-4$ a figure.

Thank you for your replys, IF anyone could comment on the detail of my figures, I hire someone to make them , and I often wonder if my recasts just suck
asdxzdew

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thantos » July 6th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Email me a macro close up of your casts, ill see if i can give you some pointers :)
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » July 7th, 2014, 4:19 am

asdxzdew wrote:I was wondering, I was checking this goldenboys ebay listings, and how the heck is he selling so many recast heroquest figures??? the castings are not better than the ones I make (in my opinion), and mine sit on ebay for lower prices. Sorry to ask such a BS question, but it brings me to the question of how much a recast is worth? Or , honest opinion, are mine really that bad? I am eventually going to pull my listings from ebay because they simply aren't selling.

Marketing
- He has an Ebay-shop. Makes people think he's a "serious" seller.
- He sells for a "buy it now" fixed price (which psychologically relates to "profession seller / new item") rather than in auctions (wich relates to "private seller / used item")
- He has elaborated (albeit false) descriptions in which he shamelessly praises his products. You are much more honest and modest. This may make you a better person, at least in my opinion, and perhaps even give you better sales with buyers who think twice, but overall, will sell less stuff.
- He uses dirty tricks. As stated before, he has (well I don't know if he still has, but at least he had for a long time) listed a complete Heroquest collection for 10000€ (I think I even was the first here to find this, I posted it in the "Various lots at Ebay" threat). Of course nobody tries to buy it, but many people click on it just for couriosity, which leads them to his shop. Then, he lists the rare expansion packs for a cheap price, and when you click on it, you don't get the whole set, but have to choose the figure or card you want - for a normal or even somewhat above average price.

If you want to take him as a role model, you may increase your sellings, but at the cost of your self-respect.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Market