• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Plate Armour

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Plate Armour

Postby Redav » June 17th, 2015, 12:05 am

Count Mohawk wrote:If you cap a normal set of 2 dice to 8 (or, more generally, you can only roll a maximum of 4 per red die), you end up with an average movement roll of 6, while also avoiding a pluponderance of very low rolls as would happen in the straight subtraction method. I think I'll be changing my armory to reflect this way of thinking.

I was simply thinking that if you rolled 12, you could still only move as far as the cap allows but using 2 x 1D4's would work and it still gives a bell curve.

But wouldn't you end up with an average roll of 4, not 6?

cynthialee wrote:Otherwise you are going to often fail to catch up to the battles thus defeating the reason for the armor in the first place.

Nah, that's the whole point of the penalty. Sure, it's negated if they wait but when groups are split, they're running the risk of isolation and backup taking longer to arrive than they usually would or allowing the opportunity for the greedy to risk searching but you're tougher to hit.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Count Mohawk » June 17th, 2015, 12:14 am

Redav wrote:I was simply thinking that if you rolled 12, you could still only move as far as the cap allows but using 2 x 1D4's would work and it still gives a bell curve.

But wouldn't you end up with an average roll of 4, not 6?

The average roll for 2d4 is 5, not 4, although this is still lower than 6. Also, capping each individual die rather than the total roll results in a slightly lower average (it's 6.4 for a total-roll cap, which is actually not that much slower than unencumbered movement). If you roll 6-3, for example, you move 7 with each die capped to 4, but 8 if you use the total cap of 8.
cynthialee wrote:
Count Mohawk wrote:If only someone would invent a d4 that actually rolls!

Your wish is granted. They have D4's in the Crystal Dice set's.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... jsp5na3c_b

|_P :ugeek: :D

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » June 17th, 2015, 12:40 am

Haha... I know what I did wrong when I worked out 4, okay, yes, 5 :)
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » June 17th, 2015, 3:22 am

What about this as an alternative to a movement penalty?

Plate armour

Plate armour allows you to roll
four combat dice in defence,
BUT your maximum Body points
are reduced by one whilst
wearing plate armour.

Cost 850 gold coins

May not be used by Wizard.

ARMOUR

Would this penalty see Plate armour used more often? Statistically is it better to have the extra BP or the extra combat die?
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » June 17th, 2015, 5:23 am

I reckon people would then ask why doesn't increase the number of BP's?

It would be better to have an extra body point. It statistically takes two rolls for a monster to roll a hit whereas it would take three rolls for a hero to roll a shield.
Campaign Status

Project's Status

Rewards:
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » June 17th, 2015, 7:03 am

No it is dependend on how often you actually use it.

If you use it 3 times, this penalty is already paid of. If you use it another 3 times, you already have one BP extra compared to not using it.

Dependend on your Quest, it could therefore pay of very quick or if you encounter only single Monsters per room, then not at all.

Face it:
The extra exhaustive weight everywhere doesn't show in Combat or other swift but short actions, but it will show after a day's march. If you don't want to introduce stamina counters you will have no way of representing the exhaustive effect of plate armor.
From mechanic point of view, i like the penalty mechanism itself to make the Heroes thinking twice before using it. I don't like the implementation. It is such a strong penalty that no Hero I know ever used the plate armor.

The trick is now to find a penalty that makes the hero think twice, three times, four times, and he will still be unsure if he is for or against buying the plate armor. In best case here in the forum 50% is for using it and 50% is against using it because of the penalty.
Plus, even better it would be if it somehow shows the exhaustive effects it has without hindering swift actions like a sprint to help your comrade.

What about having a movement penalty that applies in general (2d6, but a maximum of 7 or 8 or 9); but can be ignored 2 times per Quest ? This would show the heavy duty of carrying it all the day, but also show that short-time action is possible if it is touch and go.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 17th, 2015, 11:03 am

I went a route similar to Slev's. I simplified the use of my heavy attribute, the glossary reading:
Heavy: [attribute] You must subtract 3 from your Move roll result for each [i]heavy item.[/i]
This makes additive and superordinate special rules easier to put into words.
There are not many heavy items for now, in fact only Warplate (Plate Armour) for the first campaign, later maybe a Warhammer and a Towershield or something.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » June 17th, 2015, 12:35 pm

I like the sacrifice a body point to reflect the loss of stamina in the day.

Perhaps give those weapons designed to defeat plate armor in real life a bonus dice to attack said armor?
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cornixt » June 17th, 2015, 2:08 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:The average roll for 2d4 is 5, not 4, although this is still lower than 6. Also, capping each individual die rather than the total roll results in a slightly lower average (it's 6.4 for a total-roll cap, which is actually not that much slower than unencumbered movement). If you roll 6-3, for example, you move 7 with each die capped to 4, but 8 if you use the total cap of 8.

I like that. Keeps the player slow without increasing the chance of them being super slow a lot, which would happen with 2D4.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » June 17th, 2015, 3:06 pm

3D4-2 with a 1 minimum would give a 1-10 movement with allot of 1-3 square moves.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext