• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Q4: Prince Magnus' Gold (EU vs NA differences, Spoilers)

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Q4: Prince Magnus' Gold (EU vs NA differences, Spoilers)

Postby Kurgan » February 1st, 2020, 11:50 am

I was comparing scans of the "Premiere" Edition of HQ for Quest 3 (Prince Magnus' Gold) to the NA version and this one wasn't quite as interesting as from the Lair of the Orc Warlord.
The EU version gives 200 gold coins as a reward for completing the mission, while the NA version gives 240.

Mostly the original version was sparse in terms of furniture placement and had fewer monsters. One interesting bit from the original non-US version was this:

"IF any character decides to keep Prince Magnus' gold instead of returning it, he will be outlawed. This character may never become a Champion."

[That's 250 gold per chest, for a total of 750 gold! But that means you forfeit the "reward" for becoming a Champion which in the original edition was 500 gold after completing only three quests. Plus you got to put a little "champion" sticker on your character sheet that resembled the winged rod of Asclepius.]

The EU version in general (which was based off the Premiere Edition) doesn't assume the Heroes will work together. You can cast offensive spells on each other and attack each other, while this is much harder to do in the NA version, so this bit makes sense.

While the US version clearly says that the Heroes cannot keep any of the Treasure inside the chests.

Any other interesting variants you've found between the EU and NA versions of quests? I see NA's "The Lost Wizard" is called "The Stone Hunter" in the EU edition (where "Wardoz" becomes "Kalern"). And in "The Fire Mage" the bad guy gets the three Fire Spells (so you can't even choose them, nerfing one of your magic users) while the NA version gives him a stack of Chaos Spells AND makes him immune to your Fire (and gives him more body points, of course).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Q4: Prince Magnus' Gold (EU vs NA differences, Spoilers)

Postby wallydubbs » February 5th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Well there aren't Chaos spells in the original EU edition, so Grak and the Witch Lord are severely underpowered. However the Witch Lord can summon one undead figure each turn. But if you're looking for changes in the map storyline wise, the base system has no further changes.
Return of the Witch Lord and Keller's Keep expand on their conclusions. However I think EU Keller's Keep is verbally more confusing. RotWL adds the defect of Sir Ragnar in its conclusion.
There's also a few tweaks on Keller's Keep maps from EU to NA, particularly in quests 1, 4 and 7.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 29th, 2020, 2:14 pm

wallydubbs wrote:There's also a few tweaks on Keller's Keep maps from EU to NA, particularly in quests 1, 4 and 7.

Very good observations. Generally I feel like when there are differences between the editions, the NA is always better, but not always as we have seen!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » February 29th, 2020, 5:52 pm

There is one difference regarding only the Italian version, in quest 2 Sir Ragnar is called "Sir Manfred", but... only in my country!
I agree US versions are better but the EUR layout is my favourite for cards and questbook. Oh and the miniature bases too.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 3rd, 2020, 7:40 am

Yeah, that fancy beveled edge... the US expansion miniatures all had it too. The Dragonstrike minis don't have it, so their bases look like the US game system (& KK/ROTWL) bases!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » June 27th, 2020, 2:37 pm

I prefer the NA version, because it seems the most advanced and it was the version I grew up with, but I love these little differences and extras and I am trying to incorporate as many of them as possible into my games. The Equipment cards, the missing Expansions (Wizards of Morcar, Dark Company, Ogre Horde) searching secret doors and traps at the same time (in very limited circumstances), searching corridors for Treasure, upgraded Spells (in certain circumstances), Rewards for becoming a Champion...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Game Systems