• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Prince Magnus' Gold & outlaws

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Prince Magnus' Gold & outlaws

Postby Gold Bearer » April 26th, 2018, 10:32 am

torilen wrote:I understand there are different views of HQ.

Some see it as an all vs all sort of game...the heroes help each other, but are free to do their own thing
to get ahead.

Some see it as a game where the heroes are heroes. They help each other. They act heroically. They do
what they are supposed to do, and save the lands and the peoples in them.

I follow this second point of view. I would expect the heroes to act like heroes. This is preclude the "choice"
of stealing the gold. NOW...whether they have to end up dropping the gold and fleeing to save themselves
is a different thing entirely...but could still cause the loss of the reward.
That's up to the hero players to decide for themselves. And it's not really relevant to this rule, dropping a chest and leaving it behind wouldn't prevent them from becoming a champion and getting the 500gp. Any hero who keeps their chest doesn't become a champion but they don't know that when they make the decision, although it's fairly obvious because they become champions after this quest if they haven't died in a previous quest.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » April 26th, 2018, 11:29 am

Pancho wrote:I still don't think the rules are very clear for this quest.

Well possibly.

The NA rules are crystal. A Hero cannot keep the gold. End of.

The EU rules as usual are iffy, and is the reason I never play with them. Thank goodness I discovered NA HQ. The quest rules are quite clear. You CAN keep the gold. This results in you being outlawed. I don't think that means that Hero is out of the game, as why would it then go on to say he won't receive his champion status and reward. That would be unnecessary verbiage. BUT, this is quest 4 and the reward would quite possibly have already been received, thus meaning there are no adverse consequences, unless it isn't counting The Trial as a proper quest? :? Much easier to just play NA.

Are there any further consequences for being outlawed? Don't know. The rules only mention not becoming a champion, when you might possibly already be one. Personally, I can't see the Emperor or any noble paying an outlaw any money for anything ever again. Sure, he can tag along and keep what he finds, but no money when a quest says each Hero gets ### gold coins as a reward from the Emperor. The Hero will thus suffer and will not advance as the others do, making them more vulnerable to death anyway.

in my humble opinion it is really up to the EW player to decide what punishment is befitting the crime. Something that is fun for everyone. Personally, he wouldn't get any money from Prince Magnus for anything and doesn't get to become a champion. But as in everything in HQ it is really up to each individual to decide what is best for their gaming enjoyment.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » April 27th, 2018, 2:10 am

I agree that it's up to the Evil Wizard player to judge in these situations. There needs to be some kind of additional punishment, if the heroes have already become champions. Like I said before, my heroes become champions after completing 7 quests rather than just 3, so it's not an issue for me. Many of us create our own packs or add side quests so there's a lot of potential for an additional punishment if required.

I can see how people would have a problem with the idea of the Emperor/Prince Magnus giving further quests to an outlaw. However, it's Mentor that chooses the Heroes and acts as middle man between the rulers and the adventurers. I can easily see Mentor turning a blind eye to a hero indiscretion if it's in the interest of the greater good. Only Mentor has access to Loretome, and only he knows how an event will play out in the long run. Think of Gandalf's comment about Gollum in LOTR about him "having some part to play in all this". An outlaw might eventually do more good in the Great War against Chaos than the Emperors greatest knight (cough, cough, Ragnar. Cough, cough, traitor, cough)!!!!

P.S. As for whether UK or NA rules are better, there's a lot I could say on that. I think most of the differences are slight, and the best parts of the two different systems are easily meshed together without too much work on the EWP's part.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 27th, 2018, 6:54 am

Pancho wrote:P.S. As for whether UK or NA rules are better, there's a lot I could say on that. I think most of the differences are slight, and the best parts of the two different systems are easily meshed together without too much work on the EWP's part.

Yeah, I mean I played all the original EU HQ when I didn't even know a NA version existed, and I loved it!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » January 29th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Although I played the North American version the first time around, where the heroes were not allowed to keep the gold; I do like the European option of an outlaw. Though the rules are not clear as to the consequences, there should definitely some.

If I ever come back to this quest with a new group I'll give them that option. The penalty will be for that hero to forfeit any future rewards from the Emperor.

The rewards are worded differently from quest-to-quest. Some say the gold will be divided up among the heroes, others say the gold will be paid to each hero. They killed Balur, great! Here's 100 for you, 100 for you, 100 for you... oh, you're an outlaw, no reward. This would apply to Quest 7, 8 and 11.

However Quest 12: Barrok Tor, says 200 dividend among the heroes. It could be divided among the 3, but it's up to them if they wish to share with the outlaw.

When I last played the Lost Wizard, the Dwarf died from a Hazard card late in the quest. Since he was not alive at the completion of the quest the Barbarian, Elf and Wizard were all given 100 gold.
On the flip side the Heroes found Orc's Babe here (I switched artifacts with Quest 11) and they let the new dwarf start with that.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby SirRick » January 29th, 2019, 8:24 pm

If the quest says the hero becomes an outlaw, then do just that.

Make the player start a new character while the EWP takes the outlaw character and purchases some upgrades with the stolen money. Then later when the group reaches Quest 11: The Bastion of Chaos, insert any outlaw characters as additional bosses.

Amend the quest description if necessary to include a bounty for each outlaw killed. Then the Heroes can then loot their former comrades equipment, as an extra reward for the quest being more difficult.

Maybe if all the Heroes take the gold, change the name of the game to VillianQuest, and Mentor and Morcar/Zargon switch roles.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » May 22nd, 2019, 4:21 pm

Orc’s Babe!

Wallydubbs that’s a really great typo.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » May 23rd, 2019, 12:29 pm

Thank you, that's probably why I made no effort to rectify it.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 24th, 2019, 1:56 am

I'd like to troll this thread with an Orc's Babe monster card now. Sadly I have no time. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » May 24th, 2019, 6:29 am

Anderas wrote:I'd like to troll this thread with an Orc's Babe monster card now. Sadly I have no time. :D

I think it'd make a better Artifact. Less talking that way.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems