• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Borin's Armour

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: Borin's Armour

Postby Jalapenotrellis » April 21st, 2020, 6:46 pm

North America version of the game.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » April 22nd, 2020, 12:37 am

There are some differences between the EU version and the North American (NA) version.
A few card texts are different, mainly the monster body points are different in the NA version.

My personal opinion: I use the NA body points and for the rest something close to the EU rules;
plus NA quest map layout (because it is easier readable, even though it is less beautiful)

I think 99% of the people who have seen the NA Body Points use them.
It's Fimirs, Mummies, Chaos Warriors and Gargoyles who have more than one BP. So small stuff remains readily hackable, but the biggies are suddenly worth talking about.

In the EU rules, Borins Armour is perfectly usable by the wizard.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby ZeBix » April 22nd, 2020, 3:28 am

Anderas wrote:There are some differences between the EU version and the North American (NA) version.
A few card texts are different, mainly the monster body points are different in the NA version.

My personal opinion: I use the NA body points and for the rest something close to the EU rules;
plus NA quest map layout (because it is easier readable, even though it is less beautiful)

I think 99% of the people who have seen the NA Body Points use them.
It's Fimirs, Mummies, Chaos Warriors and Gargoyles who have more than one BP. So small stuff remains readily hackable, but the biggies are suddenly worth talking about.

In the EU rules, Borins Armour is perfectly usable by the wizard.

I knew about the US/EU rule differences, I just didn't figured out the acronym "NA" for "north american" ;) I like the Body points of the US version, and I even own AHQ which included a lot of cardboard markers for body points, so I'm all set ;)

So as far as Borin's armor is concerned, a quick google search gave me this image from boardgamegeek : https://boardgamegeek.com/image/362064/heroquest comparing UK and US versions.
The other European versions (I found French and German) are just a literal translation of the UK one.

Generally speaking, I find the US rules going much more in detail. All the "grey zones" I have in HQ rules (ammo for the crossbow, Armory equipment, wizard usability etc.) are often clearly explained in the US version.

Anyway, thanks all for your insight on the matter !
(Ze)Bix
EU-French version of HeroQuest, Kellar's Keep ("Karak Varn"), Return of the Witch Lord ("Le Retour du Sorcier"), Wizards of Morcar ("Les Sorciers de Morcar")
Advanced HeroQuest & Terror in the Dark
Some Zealot Miniatures!
:mummy: Since 1989-1994
ZeBix

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Anderas » April 23rd, 2020, 3:25 am

What you found is just a comparison of the artifacts done by Nicodemus.
I think Lestodante made a comprehensive comparison in this forum.
You can also try and download both uk and us versions from the download section of this page and take a look for yourself.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » April 23rd, 2020, 2:08 pm

I don't think this talks about artifacts, but it's got the difference in rules down:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2721

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Game Systems