• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Not waking the Witch Lord

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Not waking the Witch Lord

Postby JasonMCM » November 3rd, 2014, 12:22 pm

Has anyone ever had quest 12 finish successfully without the witch lord being awoken?

In a different discussion about secret doors it was mentioned that they only ever led to secret treasure rooms or quest objectives, so I was looking through the quest book to confirm/disprove that assertion. While doing so I noticed that you 'could' get back to the stairs without going through the witch lord's room.

Just curious. (I know that when I played I would explore every nook and cranny of every level so I never had this happen to me.)
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Not waking the Witch Lord

Postby knightkrawler » November 3rd, 2014, 1:53 pm

The Barbarian was successful but not without encountering the Witch-Lord and being under the Control spell first. The dude simply stood invincibly in the way of the other three heroes who were cut off in the upper right corridor section. I posted our story here somewhere.
I'll never forget that quest.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby LurchBrick » November 4th, 2014, 5:22 am

It happened to me during a game I ran years ago. I had to make up another reason for the heroes to go back there. I used the old "Bad guys take up residence in Barak Tor" trick to get the heroes to go back and ensured they had to break through the Witch Lord's tomb to get out again.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
LurchBrick

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » November 7th, 2022, 6:24 am

I hadn't noticed that before despite having played this Quest about 4-5 times over the decades, possibly the error is in the US version only as I have only played that a couple of times, but yes it happened to me recently, I realised just as the Barbarian had just discovered the secret door leading back to the exit but before anyone had opened the door to the Witch Lord's chamber, I just stated 'on the fly' that the secret door was "magically sealed" and couldn't be opened, I think I got away with it but not great!

I think this needs to be flagged up in any future Quest errata.

EDIT: It appears this error was in the UK version also!
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby SirRick » November 7th, 2022, 8:01 am

This is something that always bothered me, and it’s strange that this was overlooked, or possibly done on purpose. On a related note, is it possible to find the secret door while in the room with the spiral stairs? It also seems odd the Star of the West was stored there for some reason. You would think it would be in Rogar’s tomb, and not in the Witch Lord’s. Rogar probably never encountered the Witch Lord in his lifetime, so this quest seemed a bit of a stretch story-wise.

I suppose if the heroes do bypass the WL, you could alter the story of Quest 13, to mention Zargon’s minions followed you to Barak Tor, and unsealed the WL at Zargon’s direction. So now Mentor reveals the location of the Spirit Blade, and the story continues as normal.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » December 20th, 2022, 1:35 pm

I'll have a look at this properly when I get some time as both Q12 & Q14 use the same map so I don't want to break something else but...

I'm thinking of moving the Star of the West from the hand of the Zombie in the room marked 'B' (prising it from its cold, dead hands if necessary) and placing it on the Tomb of the Witch Lord (revealed whilst searching that room). Then relocate the secret door in the room marked 'E' into the room with the Witch Lord's Tomb, where the current 'D' appears. Then instead of 'waking the Witch Lord' when you enter that room instead you wake him the instant that the Hero carrying the Star of the West exits the room via the secret door (D).

Obviously that secret door could only be found from inside the room, not from the corridor side, in the same way that I assume/hope that the secret door in its current location could only be found from within Room E and not from the Spiral Stairway room (it doesn't state that but I always assumed that it should have done!)

This also provides some in-game reasoning as to why the Star of the West was left with the Witch Lord, perhaps its power helped keep him entombed at least until some daft Heroes decided to remove it!

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Jabie » January 2nd, 2023, 5:16 pm

Jabie

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 3rd, 2023, 4:18 am

I'm facebook-free so that link doesn't help me!

Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Game Systems