• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Courage Spell

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Courage Spell

Postby drathe » September 12th, 2009, 1:12 pm

The card states that it will temporarily increase the next attack by two combat dice, but also stats that the spell will be broken when the Hero can no longer 'see' a Monster.

I've always played it as the 2 extra combat dice lasting for every attack until the Hero can no longer 'see' a Monster. But now that I realise it says next attack, this leads me to believe that this is not the case. As the Hero would lose the effects should they lose sight of Monsters before their first attack anyway, I'm not concerned with that aspect. I'm wondering if I should interpret this as also only affecting the first attack and that the spell would also end after said attack, even if more Monsters exist in sight. This problem would greatly change the power of the spell, which I may just keep playing as I have regardless since I feel the other is too weak. Worth less than a potion of strength really.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Courage Spell

Postby AerynB » September 12th, 2009, 2:00 pm

I'm not sure I should reply since I've never really done any analytical thinking on HQ rules, basically if it sounds ok, let's do it. I've also always played that the Courage spell increases the attack dice for as long as the Hero can see a monster, but the "next time" phrase does throw this into question. The thing is, most spells cast on Heroes are broken after the spell's use (like Swift Wind or Move Through Rock or....Veil of Mist is another I think) so why does Courage have to go a step further and say this spell "is broken the moment the Hero can no longer 'see' a monster." Why have that condition in there if the Courage spell is going to be broken after its first use anyway? Maybe I'm missing the point, but I think we've been interpreting it correctly and the Courage spell is in effect for multiple attacks.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » September 12th, 2009, 2:24 pm

AerynB wrote:Why have that condition in there if the Courage spell is going to be broken after its first use anyway?

I think you've hit the nail right on the head! The only other reason I can think of is the chance that the spell is defunct should the Monsters escape sight before the attack. But as Zargon I usually try to move my Monsters anyway to avoid massive casualties. I guess the line "the next time a Hero attacks" is really just a standard line used for spells and potions that enhance attacks.

I've been having fun with the rules lately as I'm playing with a Hero who is just as analytical and literal as I am. Been doing a lot of double checking and second guessing as questions come up. (Note: You can't spell analytical without anal! :lol: )

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby AerynB » September 12th, 2009, 9:43 pm

drathe wrote:The only other reason I can think of is the chance that the spell is defunct should the Monsters escape sight before the attack.

Hmm...I think I see now. All the Heroes have attacked already, and maybe Elf/Wizard casts the spell on somebody standing next to a monster for the next set of turns. Zargon knows this, lets his monster attack, and then moves away so the Courage-ous Hero doesn't see any more monsters...voila, the spell is broken before the Hero had a chance to attack with the enhanced use of the spell. Or maybe Zargon only moves some of the monsters away, but the other Heroes attack and kill all the visible monsters before it's the Courage-ous Hero's turn so the spell wears off before he gets to benefit from its effects. I never move my monsters like that (again, I try to go easy on Dave) but I can see how it could happen now. Besides, I think the monsters in the game, at least the grunts, are more kamikaze-like. They just like to kill, they probably have no fear of dying. :twisted:

Certainly is a conundrum...Silly anal-ytical friend of yours. ;) But like you told me before, when you're Zargon, you get to interpret the rules however you see fit. :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » February 15th, 2010, 7:48 am

I have 2 sets of spells because I bought 2 incomplete game sets. In one set of spells the Courage spell doesn't have the added effect that it lasts until no more monsters are visible (the rock skin also doesn't have the added effect that it lasts until the player suffers a hit). So I've chucked away the ones without the added effects because, in my opinion, none of the spells are effective enough to make people want to use the wizard character.

by the way, I don't see where the confusion is with the use of this spell. You can cast it on yourself before you encounter monsters (so that you're not wasting a turn casting when you need to be fighting), then when you next attack you feel corageous and keep going until all the monsters are gone and you calm down (a bit like the incredible hulk).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » February 15th, 2010, 10:56 am

Sounds like you've picked up a partial set of first edition Spell cards. Those are the ones without the added effects.

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Phoenix » April 26th, 2011, 4:28 pm

I believe that it was written as if the 'Hero' in question were also the spellcaster. I.e. the elf casts it on himself; thereby given that it will work on his next attack (Clarifying that it does not give him a 'bonus' action).

this is my interpretation... :geek:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby gravaillon » April 26th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Personnaly I use a home version of the courage spell.

I have replace "can see any monster" by "roll a combat die before each attack that the Hero will make. If he roll a skull, the spell courage work on him and he attacks with 2 extra combat die. Else, the spell is broken, and lost for the rest of the quest."
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » April 26th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Sorry Gravaillon, the official effect is so much better I think, it reflects the way the hero under the spell might be in some corageous frenzy, which only breaks when he has a moment to reflect on the risk he's putting himself to.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby gravaillon » April 27th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Ethica wrote:Sorry Gravaillon, the official effect is so much better I think, it reflects the way the hero under the spell might be in some corageous frenzy, which only breaks when he has a moment to reflect on the risk he's putting himself to.

yes you're right ethica, but it's very frustrating for the game master ! So I have decided to test this rule... And I think it works better, specially when players have already a lot of equipment and artefacts...
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Game Systems