• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

First quest: The Maze or The Trial?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: First quest: The Maze or The Trial?

Postby chaoticprime » November 24th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Mummies are shuffling corpsey-bastards that are always underestimated (for some reason). Mummies are great at upsetting the Heroes' confidence.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Andy P » November 24th, 2013, 7:33 pm

I have to say my favourite suggestion so far is to skip both and go straight to Sir Ragnar.

I get that letting the players know where they stand (ie. using The Trial without pulling any punches, possibly killing one or two of them) is a fine idea... if they're experienced gamers and you're showing them your GM style, and if no-holds-barred is your thing (nothing wrong with that, it's a question of taste) I can see that's useful for establishing boundaries.

If they're just beginners, and this is their first experience of the game altogether, putting them through The Trial and probably getting a TPK is just mean. I'm not sure I'd come back for a second game if a GM killed everyone in our party in the first game, no matter what the game was.

The Maze is indeed a bit bland, and I have issues with The Trial. (Ooh, just thought of another one: in neither the EU or NA instructions for the quest, does it tell the players what they actually have to do. It just says they are to "enter the catacombs of Verag". OK, so, turn one, they win, right? Or do they have to kill Verag? Or kill everything in the whole dungeon? Or explore long enough to get the hang of the game then leave? Or find the tomb of Fellmarg? And do what when they find it? It doesn't actually say, which makes it not a very well-designed quest in my view). So on that basis I'd be inclined to skip both.

Come to think of it... on the assumption that the objective of The Trial is to kill Verag: well, why? Besides being "foul", what's he done to deserve death? The catacombs guard the tomb of Fellmarg. Guarding a tomb seems a reasonable thing to do, doesn't it? Keeps tomb robbers away? So what are the so-called "heroes" even doing there? Taking down Morcar - who wants to destroy the whole Empire - seems pretty reasonable. Entering catacombs to destroy someone who's not done anything wrong, only to leave the place empty of guards so others can come along later and loot poor Fellmarg's tomb, doesn't seem very heroic to me. The whole quest just wasn't thought out at all.
Andy P

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 24th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » November 25th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Andy P wrote:Come to think of it... on the assumption that the objective of The Trial is to kill Verag: well, why? Besides being "foul", what's he done to deserve death? The catacombs guard the tomb of Fellmarg. Guarding a tomb seems a reasonable thing to do, doesn't it? Keeps tomb robbers away? So what are the so-called "heroes" even doing there? Taking down Morcar - who wants to destroy the whole Empire - seems pretty reasonable. Entering catacombs to destroy someone who's not done anything wrong, only to leave the place empty of guards so others can come along later and loot poor Fellmarg's tomb, doesn't seem very heroic to me. The whole quest just wasn't thought out at all.

The North American parchment text elaborates a bit more "...You must seek out and destroy Verag, a foul Gargolye who hides in the catacombs...." So there you go--Verag is guilty of hiding, not guarding. In the Empire, that is punishable by death. Mentor says so.

Actually, the description of Gargoyles at the back of the Quest Book adds that they are produced by Chaos magic. Every good Hero knows that ain't right. (Too bad the players won't read that information when they play the Quest.)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 25th, 2013, 5:14 pm

lol! Ye olde Judge Dredd smiting kids playing hide and seek!

Anyways... Verag's crime isn't hiding. It's being FOUL.

Who is Fellmarg by the way? Is that ever elaborated?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » November 25th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Who is Fellmarg by the way? Is that ever elaborated?

Not that I know :?
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Teldurn » November 25th, 2013, 6:05 pm

TMU wrote:
Goblin-King wrote:Who is Fellmarg by the way? Is that ever elaborated?

Not that I know :?

I think I just found my inspiration for what to make the questline about for HQP. Whee! :D
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Nephew of Mentor » November 25th, 2013, 11:52 pm

Arguably, the name Felmarg sounds pretty evil. Perhaps the foul gargoyle is hiding in the tomb of an equally foul Felmarg.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 26th, 2013, 1:49 am

Maybe Fellmarg was the evil chaos sorcerer who made Verag, who now "guards" his creator's tomb.
There seem to be a lot of evil chaos sorcerers in the HQ world. If they ever pooled their resources... oh well.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Andy P » November 26th, 2013, 4:23 am

Nephew of Mentor wrote:Arguably, the name Felmarg sounds pretty evil. Perhaps the foul gargoyle is hiding in the tomb of an equally foul Felmarg.

Haha... I wonder if Verag was put there to stop Fellmarg coming back from the dead, or something. A very different sense of "guarding"!
Andy P

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems