• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

So a few questions on how you guys play it.

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from HeroQuest Game Systems.

Re: So a few questions on how you guys play it.

Postby knightkrawler » November 12th, 2013, 5:08 pm

I had to laugh when I read "Éloriêl".
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby chaoticprime » November 12th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Make a quest where the mercs are lured by chaos and betrays the heroes halfway through!
The more they bought the more they are being punished!

:dwarf: Ya sure brought a lot of mercenaries Éloriêl!
:elf: Yes! I won't have to lift a finger!
:barbarian: Gettin' a bit crowded dont'cha think?
:wizard: OoOoOoh I don't mind! Ho ho ho ho!

*ominous chanting ensues*

:elf: What are you doing? Get away from me! GET AWAY! AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!

How did I never think of this? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » November 19th, 2013, 2:25 am

The question of hiring Mercenaries was also previously discussed in an old topic titiled The Hired Hand [Mercenaries]
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » February 15th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Saw that one after I made this thread, very informative.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » March 27th, 2019, 9:54 am

Fullork345 wrote:Have any of you guys used morcar expansion spells in the base game? Also do you guys use the upkeep rules for Mercenaries.

I haven't played with Mercenaries in the original game system, it would be too unbalanced.
However the spell sets I've implemented with one group. Upon allowing these cards to be used the Elf player generally sticks with Elf spells. He usually chooses Flashback and Timestop and then generally alternates between Disappear and Double Image.
The Wizard, though recognizes the strength of the original element spells, but also finds use in the expansion spells from WoM.
In the Rescue of Sir Ragnar he picked Earth, Fire and Darkness spells, using all but Fire of Wrath, Rock Skin and Arrows of the Night. The heroes started off going after the upper right quadrant, unaware these guys would hinder an escape if the alarm were to go off. One orc was extremely difficult to kill, last 2 rounds surrounded by the Elf, Barbarian and Dwarf. The Wizard would use Cloak of Shadows and plug the door to the room on the far right. Eventually the other heroes would swoop in from the East and clear out the remaining rooms. The Elf would then go off alone and triggered the trapped chest but then had Pass through Rock cast on him as he wandered into Ragnar's cell. Instead or raising the alarm, I simply told him the cell door was locked and he was stuck in there with Ragnar until the Barbarian, Dwarf and Wizard fought their way up through the South. The Wizard would end up using Ball of Flame and Chains of Darkness of the orcs and cast Courage on the Barbarian once they found the Secret door to take out the Fimir and other orc. When the Barbarian opened the cell door the alarm went off but there were no more monsters to be found.

Noticing how well the heroes worked together, I upped the ante in Lair of the Orc Warlord, giving Ulag 4 spells: Summon Orcs (from WoM), Summon Goblins, Orc Berserk, and Soothe (from FH). The Wizard therefore picked Earth, Fire and Protection spells, utilizing the Dispell spell... though he found little to no use for Invisibility or Wall of Stone.
Once reaching the hallway after passing the first 3 rooms the group decided to stick together instead of splitting up, they cleared the next 3 rooms while only using Ball of Flane and Rock Skin. Then they reached Ulag and the Chaos Warrior. The Wizard immediately cast Dispell, and randomly took Soothe.
Ulag then summoned Goblins into the room with all the heroes,leaving the Wizard, Elf and Dwarf to clean them up while the Barbarian went after the Chaos Warrior. The Wizard remarked that he wish that was the card he had taken, but the Dwarf, claiming leadership, said "No, you took his healing spell, we don't want him healing that Chaos Warrior." The Wizard would eventually cast Courage on Barbarian. After the Barbarian killed the Chaos Warrior, Wizard healed him. Ulag summoned 2 more orcs, a goblin and orc alternates attacks on the Barbarian. Fire of Wrath failed to take one out, but the Elf was handy with his spell, Time Stop and the Barbarian took out the last goblin and one orc. Ulag then cast Orc Berserk on his other recently summoned orc, who chipped away at the Barbarian. But the Barbarian mightily eliminated him on his next turn.
Ulag finally had to resort to physical attacks and went after the Barbarian. Though the Barbarian took a hit, he also deflected one. The Elf's crossbow attack failed and despite the Barbarian's courage Ulag blocked his attacks. The Barbarian then backed away, and the Dwarf snuck in with only a short sword and rolled 2 skulls,which Ulag failed to defend. Ulag fell and the heroes were victorious.

Come Prince Magnus' Gold the Dwarf still had acquired no equipment, so the Wizard used Earth, Air and Detection, hoping to get something of value in Treasure Horde, but to this day I've never seen a worse quest for treasure. Asides from a Potion of Defense, Gold and Jewels, the heroes drew 3 Hazards, 1 poison, 1 Magical Trap and 2 Wandering Monsters. They were having the worst luck at the start of the quest; Treasure Horde drew a Hazard, Wandering Monster and gold, plus they kept springing every possible trap up to the secret door; the Wizard also used Clairvoyance just to check the middle room early on, so the heroes knew exactly where the chests were, but couldn't quite figure out how to get there.
Inevitably in the face off with Gulthor, the Wizard and Elf crunched their spells into the Barbarian, bestowing him with Rock Skin, Double Image, Time Stop and Furure Sight while he took out the Greenskins, the Dwarf plugged the door while the Elf would eventually fire in with his crossbow, and the Wizard finished Gulthor off by Summoning a Genie... it wasn't a battle, it was an execution!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » March 27th, 2019, 10:22 am

wallydubbs wrote:Noticing how well the heroes worked together, I upped the ante in Lair of the Orc Warlord, giving Ulag 4 spells: Summon Orcs (from WoM), Summon Goblins, Orc Berserk, and Soothe (from FH). The Wizard therefore picked Earth, Fire and Protection spells, utilizing the Dispell spell... though he found little to no use for Invisibility or Wall of Stone.

You let your Heroes know in advance that you not only selected spells, but also which spells?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » March 27th, 2019, 11:09 am

Yes and no. I tweaked the introduction by noting Ulag as an orc sorcerer/warlord.
I did NOT tell them which spell cards I'd be using.

In like manner, when they reach Legacy of the Orc Warlord I will be noting that Grak has captured them using magic, but I will also say he has not yet returned and now is the best time to escape. This way the heroes won't be certain if they'll actually be facing Grak or not. It can be a surprise, "just as they find the exit stairwell, Grak and a group of followers have returned.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Jalapenotrellis » March 27th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Are you supposed to let the heroes know of a monster's stats and spells or not? That has never been clear to me. in some cases it would seem unfair to let them know that the monster has an escape spell, for example. However they are also given the stats of most other monsters in the game. Do you let them know of the number of spells and what they do? Or only one they are revealed?
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » March 28th, 2019, 1:52 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Are you supposed to let the heroes know of a monster's stats and spells or not? That has never been clear to me. in some cases it would seem unfair to let them know that the monster has an escape spell, for example. However they are also given the stats of most other monsters in the game. Do you let them know of the number of spells and what they do? Or only one they are revealed?

I wouldn't tell the players everything, especially not stuff like spells. Let that be a little nasty surprise.
I usually tell the stats of special monsters though.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » March 28th, 2019, 7:15 am

I don't think there's any harm in letting the heroes know they're dealing with a spell caster. In most quests the introductory passage reveals this to the heroes: Balur in The Fire Mage, Gragor in The Great Citidel of Keller's Keep, and Vilor in The Deadly Depths of Frozen Horror. And any quest with the Witch Lord seems self evident...

However I don't think you're supposed to reveal to the heroes what Chaos Spells you have, that may ruin the surprise.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Game Systems