• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thrown Weapon directions

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Thrown Weapon directions

Postby Shark » March 16th, 2023, 6:27 am

Apologies if I missed it but is there any rules on the direction thrown weapons, crossbow, or ranged weapons can go.

For example the spear can be used diagonally so is that the same for throwing it. The cross bow has no such comment so can it go diagonally to?
Or are all ranged weapons line of sight so do not need to go truely along squares?
Shark

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Thrown Weapon directions

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » March 16th, 2023, 4:25 pm

That is a very good question.

In the official versions it isn't specified and it doesn't matter as ranged, including thrown weapons, have no limit to their range so just line of sight.

However, many people, including myself have added a range limit to thrown weapons, in my case they are limited to 6 squares or your starting Body point value if that is greater. I have then specified that they move in the same way that a character moves, that is no diagonals, but I suspect that I am in the minority in this instance.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Zenithfleet » March 16th, 2023, 9:44 pm

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:That is a very good question.

In the official versions it isn't specified and it doesn't matter as ranged, including thrown weapons, have no limit to their range so just line of sight.

Yes, the EU edition says under 'Missile fire' on p15:

"Some weapons may be thrown, while the crossbow may be fired. ... Your opponent must be visible, as with casting a spell. There is no maximum range for firing the crossbow or throwing a weapon. However, you may not use the crossbow or throw a weapon if you are adjacent to your opponent."

Note that 'visible as with casting a spell' is not the same as 'visible for placing doors, walls and monsters on the board'. In the EU rules, for spells and missile fire:
- miniatures in the same room are always visible
- miniatures in a passage or in a different room are only visible if you can trace a direct line to them and there is no other miniature in the way.

Apparently there is some controversy over whether 'adjacent' includes 'diagonally adjacent'. I'm pretty sure it does, at least in the EU rules.

Shark, if you're using the NA (North American) rules, which the latest Hasbro re-release uses, the above may not apply.

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:However, many people, including myself have added a range limit to thrown weapons, in my case they are limited to 6 squares or your starting Body point value if that is greater. I have then specified that they move in the same way that a character moves, that is no diagonals, but I suspect that I am in the minority in this instance.

Interesting. Have you added any other rules to thrown weapons?

Playing by the official rules, I don't think I've ever seen a player throw a weapon (except a Magical Throwing Dagger from the NA rules). Losing a spear for the sake of one ranged attack is rarely worthwhile, and the Hand Axe isn't worth buying. It seems as if limiting the range of thrown weapons would make them even less likely to be used.
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Shark » March 17th, 2023, 6:16 am

Thanks for that. I am using a mixture of rules to suit my preferred style of game.

I allow for thrown weapons to be searched for by rolling 1 combat dice (I try to use these as much as I can) and on a black shield the weapon is broken and no use. Why allow throwing if it is not feasible?

I was playing the horizontal, vertical and diagonal lines for ranged weapons. Might play test a few time with line of sight.
Shark

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » March 18th, 2023, 1:45 am

Judging the distances involved in the game, I don't think it's improbable to say the distance is unlimited. You sacrifice the weapon in the process (and you might miss) so I think it's fair to let them have the whole distance. These are HEROES, and so they should be up to par with the world record holders for tomahawk, knife, javelin throwing... as well as crossbow marksmanship.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » March 18th, 2023, 3:23 pm

Zenithfleet, yes under HQ Gold rules a throwing weapon is only lost if you roll all shields, otherwise it can be picked up from the target square automatically or through a search (in a room only). And HQ Gold has two throwing weapons, throwing knife 1AD @ 50gc and throwing axe (the old hand axe) 2AD @ 150gc. So lost on 1 in 3 throws and 1 in 9 respectively for exactly the reasons that you gave, in the base game no one ever buys or throws them, unless they get them for free!

And in light of further thinking, I am applying a maximum range to thrown weapons of 9 squares
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Official Rules