• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Line of Sight

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Line of Sight

Postby Kurgan » November 16th, 2021, 11:48 am

Cael Darkhollow wrote:It only tracks monster stats in so far as you tell it how much damage by rolling skulls you did, the monster rolls defense then adjusts accordingly or dies, but there is a monster defeated button you could just run up to any monster and push that. It doens't track your health, you do. It tells you how much the monster rolled but doesn't keep track of your damage, if you blocked etc. It would have no idea if you died or not. It is a game component and token tracker only. It is completely an honor system designed so that solo players can play and have the monsters/board revealed with no spoilers. No one would cheat at solitaire card game would they? What would be the point? I cheated but I was testing app features, not actually trying to play HeroQuest.

Very helpful, thanks for explaining. I meant "cheating" in the sense that someone could come to a real game sessions having studied up on the quest beforehand (all the more reason to tweak quests before running them). No real change since we've had the internet of course.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » November 16th, 2021, 12:00 pm

cynthialee wrote:I was messing with it and I don't like it. It seems to zombie move and attack at the closest hero.
If I see a way to get out of the room and run a monster away to a hidey hole to save him for when the heroes open more doors I am taking it. I am not going to blindly have my monsters attack closest hero just on proximity. Sure that may work for low challenge games or against kids.
Is pretty fun to have the heroes involved in a fight then suddenly on my turn a couple earlier cowards show up to reinforce the fight. :D

Yeah the spontaneity of Zargon and strategies of a human make it all that more fun. I know some people who feel Zargon should play as if he's a dumb AI... monsters just run forward and attack the closest hero, but never target just one person, fall back, etc. the Heroes already have the deck stacked in their favor with the base game, so why be forced to play this way? (if the GM player chooses to, that's their prerogative).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » November 16th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Kurgan wrote:
cynthialee wrote:I was messing with it and I don't like it. It seems to zombie move and attack at the closest hero.
If I see a way to get out of the room and run a monster away to a hidey hole to save him for when the heroes open more doors I am taking it. I am not going to blindly have my monsters attack closest hero just on proximity. Sure that may work for low challenge games or against kids.
Is pretty fun to have the heroes involved in a fight then suddenly on my turn a couple earlier cowards show up to reinforce the fight. :D

Yeah the spontaneity of Zargon and strategies of a human make it all that more fun. I know some people who feel Zargon should play as if he's a dumb AI... monsters just run forward and attack the closest hero, but never target just one person, fall back, etc. the Heroes already have the deck stacked in their favor with the base game, so why be forced to play this way? (if the GM player chooses to, that's their prerogative).

If Zargon doesn't play smart he can't win most games unless he gets lucky.

Focused fire, blocking doorways and run and gun works well for both sides.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 16th, 2021, 12:30 pm

Which leads back to the age old debate... there are those who say Zargon SHOULDN'T ever win (unless the heroes are suicidally stupid), but apart from the explicit design philosophy of the Japanese rules, this wasn't actually a "rule" in the official game. Zargon IS trying to kill the Heroes, and as long as he doesn't cheat, it's his call how hard he goes on them.

Many have adopted a kind of compromise... similar to players of other types of games. You don't want to crush your opponents so hard that they don't come back (due to a small pool of potential players to let you enjoy the game) but you want them to feel the challenge as much as possible to keep it interesting.

I think an unforgiving AI Zargon could help "toughen up" players, but it would also give them a false sense of security knowing the AI vs. an unpredictable human GM opponent.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » November 16th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Kurgan wrote:Which leads back to the age old debate... there are those who say Zargon SHOULDN'T ever win (unless the heroes are suicidally stupid), but apart from the explicit design philosophy of the Japanese rules, this wasn't actually a "rule" in the official game. Zargon IS trying to kill the Heroes, and as long as he doesn't cheat, it's his call how hard he goes on them.

Many have adopted a kind of compromise... similar to players of other types of games. You don't want to crush your opponents so hard that they don't come back (due to a small pool of potential players to let you enjoy the game) but you want them to feel the challenge as much as possible to keep it interesting.

I think an unforgiving AI Zargon could help "toughen up" players, but it would also give them a false sense of security knowing the AI vs. an unpredictable human GM opponent.

Every game I offer my players two options.

1. By the Book. I will do my best to destroy everyone.

2. As a RPG Lite. Here I will be the GM and try and make a memorable play time for everyone. I will go for a few heads, but unless the dice hate you or you are stupid at least one hero is likely to pull off the objective.

I prefer the second option. Then I use Evil Wizard Cards, have difficult to find traps and I might pull out the Dungeon Tiles or the Battle Mat.

But I have no issue going BtB. I am going to smear them if I get a chance.

As for playing the monsters AI style where they most attack nearest enemy....I do not understand that mindset. That is nowhere in the rules. The rules as written allow Zargon to play smart.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » November 16th, 2021, 1:29 pm

There are other people who try to give the monsters character... so they'll say low MIND POINT monsters (and for sure undead) will just act dumbly while "smarter" monsters will act more intelligently, but again, highly subjective. I'm okay with the bad guys having a hive mind and be controlled by the Evil Wizard, just as the Heroes have the benefit of being able to confer and coordinate their turns without the minis all being "within earshot" of each other such that they could realistically "make plans" if it were real life ("the magic earpiece of communication").

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » November 16th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Zargon knows at all times where his monsters are and can send them orders at will. Maybe the orc doesn't know why he is being told to hide for now, but Zargon knows.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » November 16th, 2021, 6:44 pm

Hi, in my homebrew rules, I make a difference between "see" and "be in the line of sight":

For me a hero can "see" everything inside a corridor or a room if the hero is inside that corridor or room or the hero is "looking down a corridor" through an opened door or from a corner between corridors. I consider monsters or heroes previously placed there cannot block what can be seen inside the room/corridor like furniture, walls, doors, or other monsters/heroes. If a monster can be "seen" by a hero means that such monster does not allow the hero to do any searching task. Additionally, if a moster can be "seen" by a hero, it also means that such monster can be ONLY the target of the hero's spells that 'common sense' tells a straight line between the hero and the monster is not required (for example, Sleep or Tempest could be casted but Ball of Flame or Fire of Wrath may not). This also means that such monster cannot be the target for any missile or throwing weapon in any case. The same applies in case of monsters.

However, in the other hand for me, a hero/monster "is in the line of sight" of other hero/monster when its position strictly shows compliance with the line of sight rules described in the rulebook, including the "looking down a corridor" rule for line of sight. In this case, those miniatures can be "seen" as described in previous paragraph but they ALSO are "in the line of sight", so they can be the target for every missile weapon or spell. Then, other miniatures can block the "line of sight" of a hero but they cannot block what the hero "sees" behind them. The same applies in case of monsters.

Of course this interpretation is not fully effective but I think solves 95% of the unclear cases.
Last edited by HispaZargon on November 16th, 2021, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 16th, 2021, 7:01 pm

So like the difference between "aware of their presence" vs. "have a clear shot to target them."

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » November 16th, 2021, 7:20 pm

Kurgan wrote:So like the difference between "aware of their presence" vs. "have a clear shot to target them."

YEEEEEEeeees! That's all in other words :-)

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules