• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Falling block traps in quests 12 and 13 NA game system

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Falling block traps in quests 12 and 13 NA game system

Postby Jalapenotrellis » July 30th, 2019, 2:14 am

Can the falling block trap in quest 12 in the corner be disarmed?
I assume yes, since it is called a trap. But for some reason the idea of it actually blocking a back way and that it doesn't do damage seems to be part of the quest.

For quest 13, it looks like the falling block trap squares are also different. Assume they can be disarmed just like any trap as well.

Seems kinda like a waste of a twist of the quest for these traps if they can be disarmed. The heroes are pretty good at searching these days, unless it is on the other side of a door (and a smart team would use pass through rock to avoid that possibility if they strongly suspect).
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Falling block traps in quests 12 and 13 NA game system

Postby Maurice76 » July 30th, 2019, 6:08 am

The one in Quest 12 is there to prevent the Heroes from returning the way they came, after finding the Star of the West. It forces them to open the tomb of the Witch Lord, activating him in the process.

The ones in Quest 13 aren't actually placed on the game board. As the quest information indicates, the Falling Rock symbols on the map simply indicate weak spots in the ceiling, with rocks occasionally falling down. They can potentially damage Heroes passing it, without causing an all-out cave-in, that blocks the passage.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » July 30th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Yes, I understand these things, but they are marked as traps and thus can be disarmed then, right?
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » July 30th, 2019, 3:15 pm

You're right, it doesn't say they can't be... but you are free to use your own discretion under certain circumstances.

For quest 12, I wouldn't allow them to detect or disarm said trap. Nobody's getting hurt by it (it drops after the last hero passes), and it's meant to block off the way out, nearly forcing the heroes to search all rooms for a way out and this awakening the Witch Lord (if only the Ring of Return did not ruin this).

In quest 13, yes the traps work differently and CAN be disarmed. Although when I play this quest I modify these falling block traps into regular falling block traps. This can potentially trap a hero in a room with no escape. But if the heroes defeat all monsters and complete the quest I allow to dig out their comrad once the quest is over.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » July 30th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Yes, I understand these things, but they are marked as traps and thus can be disarmed then, right?

I would say no.

The first is part of the plot storyline and disarming would spoil that, but feel free to ignore that.

The second are not traps. They are marked as such but aren't. They are just dodgy locations. They haven't been set and have no particular trigger, such as a trip wire, that could be 'disarmed'. You'd have to take down the whole ceiling and re-plaster, and what Heroes have got time to arrange quotes and wait in for builders?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » July 31st, 2019, 5:14 am

The Admiral wrote:The second are not traps. They are marked as such but aren't. They are just dodgy locations. They haven't been set and have no particular trigger, such as a trip wire, that could be 'disarmed'. You'd have to take down the whole ceiling and re-plaster, and what Heroes have got time to arrange quotes and wait in for builders?

This does raise a question though: shouldn't monsters also be influenced by those "traps", then? Normally, they'd know where the traps are and can avoid triggering them ... but these aren't constructed traps, but rather environmental hazards.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » July 31st, 2019, 8:02 pm

I pointed to these in question recently in another post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4183&hilit=pit+traps&start=60

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » July 31st, 2019, 8:08 pm

Maurice76 wrote: but these aren't constructed traps, but rather environmental hazards.

Environmental hazards yes but it's more a case of, it happened to fall when you were there. Just like the monsters aren't suspended in time (I go in to detail else where here) it's simply how the story unfolds. We could even see a saving roll as nothing actually falling.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » August 1st, 2019, 11:29 am

Maurice76 wrote:
The Admiral wrote:The second are not traps. They are marked as such but aren't. They are just dodgy locations. They haven't been set and have no particular trigger, such as a trip wire, that could be 'disarmed'. You'd have to take down the whole ceiling and re-plaster, and what Heroes have got time to arrange quotes and wait in for builders?

This does raise a question though: shouldn't monsters also be influenced by those "traps", then? Normally, they'd know where the traps are and can avoid triggering them ... but these aren't constructed traps, but rather environmental hazards.

As the first 'trap' is a plot line for when the last Hero passes, it won't apply to the monsters.

As to the dodgy ceiling I can see this being interpreted either way and would leave it up to the EW player. The monsters do indeed have no mechanism that they know to avoid, but having inhabited their environment, they may know by now exactly where to step that doesn't bring the roof down on their head. Both arguments are valid and thus I would make the EW arbiter.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » August 2nd, 2019, 7:30 am

The Admiral wrote:is a plot line

That's the term. Thank you.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Official Rules