• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Limit to number of items in same "slot"?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Limit to number of items in same "slot"?

Postby hightechartist » July 28th, 2019, 10:19 pm

So, I've been trying my best not to impose my knowledge of other games rules on HQ rules, and I noticed that I don't see any rules about item "slots". For example, by the rules, is there a limit to the number of magic rings you can wear, or how many talismans can be around your neck? Can you put on Plate Mail over that Chain Mail?
If I was GM I'd just say "no" regardless of rules as written because I know how that'd screw the balance of the game, but I was curious if there was an official rule on this that I missed?
hightechartist

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Limit to number of items in same "slot"?

Postby Jalapenotrellis » July 28th, 2019, 10:49 pm

I think you can only wear one item at a time. Logic wins that. No official rule though as I am pretty by the rules in my games. It gets tricky as to things like a crossbow and shield. We rule that if you attacked with it, you defend with it. You can't use a crossbow and then switch to a shield or battle axe and then switch to a shield.
Also, Borin's Armor is OP it played as plate mail without the drawback. The barbarian who is wearing it is almost untouchable. However, a goblin, lol, landed a hit on him today.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby DullandRusty » July 28th, 2019, 11:10 pm

We play 1 piece per body part, with the exception of rings or non specified relics (homebrew stuff like a special book relic or talisman). The stuff you start the quest with is what is worn during each round going forward unless the hero swaps one piece of equipment for another at the start of their turn. the new item equipped stays equipped until they swap on a subsequent turn, thus you cant swap from a 2 handed sword after attacking so you can defend with a shield...what you attack or move with is what you will defend with.
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 29th, 2019, 7:21 am

It's one of the many ambiguities in the rules.
No problem, you house rule yourself.

I remade my equipment cards. They state that you wear an item in one hand, in two hands, on the head or on the body. And then you may take as many items as you have hands. :-)

Potions, Spell Scrolls and other small stuff have no such remark, so you could wear 22 rings in my system; allowing for some speculation of what ring goes where.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » July 29th, 2019, 10:15 am

Our houserule is two hands worth of items equipped in the hands, and two hands worth stored on your back. So you can switch between crossbow/shield to battleaxe, but you aren't going to be carrying an entire weapons rack with you. Daggers have a special rule in that they don't count towards the limit when not equipped.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » July 29th, 2019, 10:19 am

The original was limited by the cards in the deck. The American version added the armoury but never introduced rules to address that issue. Common sense is all we have. limited big items to starting body is a good idea. Potions etc being half. I do allow for potions found in a quest treasure search to be held as cards extra, these need to be used before returned to the deck.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 29th, 2019, 11:02 am

I am not in favor of too many limits. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » July 30th, 2019, 6:56 am

We play the following:

1 suit of armour (leather, Chainmail etc.)
1 piece of headgear.
1 cloak or robe
1 Tunic/shirt

As to weapons it is a bit trickier. A Hero has two hands and can therefore have either a one handed weapon and a shield, or a two handed weapon. when wielding a shield and a one handed weapon, the Hero is assumed to be able to freely swap the one handed weapon e.g. he/she is able to quickly sheath a broadsword and whip out a longsword to attack diagonally, or a dagger to chuck. He/she is not able to quickly put away a shield or a two handed weapon as these need to be attached to their back.

Although I consider the crossbow, Longbow, or shortbow to be two handed weapons I treat them differently. I consider the Crossbow to be heavy and more unwieldy, and it is therefore treated as a pure two handed weapon as above. In hand to hand combat the Crossbow is used to hit the opponent and rolls 1 combat die. Any of the other bows are considered light, and therefore in hand to hand combat a Hero can hold the bow in one hand and draw a one handed weapon to fight with without any penalty. Likewise he/she may quickly sheath that weapon to then fire the bow. I give my crossbow an armour piercing advantage to account for the detriment to hand to hand combat in comparison to the bows.

To change armour, or a weapon configuration e.g. from sword and shield to a Great Axe or crossbow, or vice versa, takes an action.

Potions and rings etc. are unlimited. probably not totally realistic, but I really can't be bothered to track these.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » July 30th, 2019, 1:21 pm

My main concern is at what point does it stop aiding the heroes and start overpowering them.

Originally the Talisman of Lore gave the Barbarian a much needed defense against Magic, although in the European version mind points were used for nothing, so it was practically useless. 1MP that aids in Magic defense is better then 2MP that have no use. But let's say the Barbarian holds onto that until Quest 7 of the Frozen Horror and he finds the Amulet of the North; asides from the weirdness of having 2 clunky amulets around your neck, the rules say nothing against it.
Although I'm normally a generous Zargon, I wouldn't allow this. The Frozen Horror has an increased difficulty level (though mainly due to the lack of playtesting), the Amulet of the North plays to the Barbarian's strength, giving him +2BP while compensating for his weakness +1MP. The Barbarian is supposed to be a combat oriented character, giving him another +1MP practically negates any weakness he has. I would rule the same with any other Talisman's present, such as the Amulet of Life (see Sjeng's Japanese artifacts) or The Mind's Eye (see drathe's created artifacts).

When it comes to Plate Mail and chainmail, I would not allow these to go together. 4 - 5 defense dice is perfect for the average hero. I've seen how a Wall of Stone (6 defense dice) holds up against normal monster attacks, the hero's not getting 6 without movement compensation and definitely not 7 without a Potion or spell. Besides most weapons and armor a Wizard can't touch, I'm not gonna throw it his face by letting the Elf wear both.

Logistically no hero's going to wear 2 pairs of boots at the same time. With Rabbit Boots, Elven Boots and Snowshoes of Speed the heroes can only wear 1 pair at a time. No rabbit book on the left foot and Elven boot on the right either. The Elven Boots and Snowshoes of Speed actually compliment a hero wearing Plate Mail.

For those who play with crossover European armor and American artifacts, I would not allow the Cloak of Protection and Wizard's Cloak to be worn at the same time either. The same applies to Sjeng's Magister's Hood (which gives +2BP +1MP). For this it's more of a case of "which would you rather have?" The Wizard isn't combat oriented, that's not his job. The Wizard supports the other heroes with his spells.

If the Elf is wearing the Magical Elven Bracers and somehow comes across the Armband of Ice or Armband of Healing, nope, sorry your arms are already adorned. Same thing if you're doing a crossover and the Wizard has Bracers from the European armory. The Wizard and Elf, starting off, have the lower body points, as they make up for with spells. It seems like a reasonable sacrifice that if the Elf is getting 2 extra body points and 1 extra mind point he can't get the Armband of Healing. As for the Wizard, who should stay out of combat, what's more important: +1 defense dice or Healing 2BP...
Neither can have the Armband of Ice, but that's ok, there's still the Ring of Warmth, which pretty much does the same thing.

I think the limit of Rings a hero can wear should be 6. The thumb is too big and Pinky too small. The Spell Ring is designed specifically for the Wizard or Elf and aren't that many more rings to go around: Ring of Warmth, Ring of Fire, Ring of Return and Ring of Brilliance. Asides from the Spell Ring and Ring of Brilliance (depending what it does) none are really that powerful. Ring of Return is on 1 time use, Ring of Fire can be used only twice, the Ring of Warmth is only useful in the Barbarian Quest Pack.

As far as weapons are concerned, I think the hero should be allowed carry whatever fits in 2 hands and strapped to his back... maybe a couple daggers too tied to a belt or leg.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby hightechartist » July 30th, 2019, 8:28 pm

The Admiral wrote:We play the following:

1 suit of armour (leather, Chainmail etc.)
1 piece of headgear.
1 cloak or robe
1 Tunic/shirt

As to weapons it is a bit trickier. A Hero has two hands and can therefore have either a one handed weapon and a shield, or a two handed weapon. when wielding a shield and a one handed weapon, the Hero is assumed to be able to freely swap the one handed weapon e.g. he/she is able to quickly sheath a broadsword and whip out a longsword to attack diagonally, or a dagger to chuck. He/she is not able to quickly put away a shield or a two handed weapon as these need to be attached to their back.

Although I consider the crossbow, Longbow, or shortbow to be two handed weapons I treat them differently. I consider the Crossbow to be heavy and more unwieldy, and it is therefore treated as a pure two handed weapon as above. In hand to hand combat the Crossbow is used to hit the opponent and rolls 1 combat die. Any of the other bows are considered light, and therefore in hand to hand combat a Hero can hold the bow in one hand and draw a one handed weapon to fight with without any penalty. Likewise he/she may quickly sheath that weapon to then fire the bow. I give my crossbow an armour piercing advantage to account for the detriment to hand to hand combat in comparison to the bows.

To change armour, or a weapon configuration e.g. from sword and shield to a Great Axe or crossbow, or vice versa, takes an action.

Potions and rings etc. are unlimited. probably not totally realistic, but I really can't be bothered to track these.
What are the longbow and shortbow from?
hightechartist

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Next

Return to Official Rules