• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Wand of Magic

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Wand of Magic

Postby Jalapenotrellis » July 1st, 2019, 7:35 pm

I assume this allows two different spells to be used but only during the action phase of a turn, right? Or would it also include the ability to cast, move, cast? I assume the former, right? The latter seems way, way too powerful.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Wand of Magic

Postby Maurice76 » July 2nd, 2019, 5:13 am

I've never really looked that deeply into it, but I think you're right. The Artifact card states that the Elf or Wizard may cast two spells instead of one during their turn, so the cast action is replaced by a double cast action if they use it. Movement and any non-movement action are strictly separated in the rules, so I'd say the casting needs to be done back to back, without movement in between.

As a lenient EW, I might house-rule that movement may occur between two casts, though.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 2nd, 2019, 1:02 pm

I was tripping over that, too. So my wand reads now:

If your first action was a cast action, you gain one additional cast action this turn.

Deliberately leaving it open to cast, move, cast.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » July 3rd, 2019, 3:41 am

We have always played that the two spells are cast at the same time, either before or after moving. The rules are clear that a Hero gets only one action per turn. The ability to make extra attacks or cast extra spells does not change that, it just makes the action more powerful.

However, it is not a bad idea, as a house rule, to give a Hero an extra action if they have extra attacks or spells to use separately. This would certainly make the Heroes more powerful.

Perhaps this could be a skill a Hero could obtain. I think I will add this as a training ability for Wizards.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 6th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:I assume this allows two different spells to be used but only during the action phase of a turn, right? Or would it also include the ability to cast, move, cast? I assume the former, right? The latter seems way, way too powerful.

My answer echoes this post regarding splitting two attacks in a turn. Here's the relevant sections with casting a spell and the wand substituted in:

Daedalus wrote:The turn rule prohibits splitting movement, but not actions; only one action is discussed (ATTACK in our case.)

Instruction Boolet wrote:On A Hero's Turn
As a Hero, you may move and then perform an action, OR you may perform an action and then move. You may not, however, move part way, perform an action, and then finish your movement. You may perform any one of the following actions:

▪︎ ATTACK
▪︎CAST A SPELL (Wizard and Elf only)
▪︎ . . .

The case where two actions is discussed on a card also doesn't prohibit splitting the actions/cast spells:

Wand of Magic card wrote:This magical wand allows the Elf or Wizard to cast two separate and different spells on his turn instead of one single spell.

After some consideration, I'd say yes, a Hero may cast a spell, move, and then cast a spell again in the same turn. I'm following the principle that specific rules on cards trump general rules in the Instruction Booklet. As such, I think the organization reads: two cast spells are two actions (turn rule adapts to card), NOT the action is two cast spells (card adapts to turn rule.) As such, if cast a spell AND cast a spell again of a card is imposed on the turn rule, the clauses are rearranged, and redundancy is eliminated, you get:

As a Hero, you may perform an action cast a spell and then move OR you may move and then perform an action cast a spell again.
Cast a spell/cast a spell/move OR move/cast a spell/cast a spell options still apply since two cast spells are two actions from the card is still satisfied; the card and Instruction Booklet rules are open enough to cover both interpretations in my opinion.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Official Rules