• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Searching for traps and secret doors

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Searching for traps and secret doors

Postby mitchiemasha » May 16th, 2019, 9:11 am

Maurice76 wrote:mostly

"They mostly come at night... Mostly"

What a flash back. Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Maurice76 » May 16th, 2019, 4:23 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:
Maurice76 wrote:mostly

"They mostly come at night... Mostly"

What a flash back. Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're comparing Slev to a slimy alien? :P

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » May 17th, 2019, 2:49 am

Just how I read that word every time I see it.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 9th, 2019, 10:56 am

I introduced a new character called the Ranger. Once per quest (it's like a "spell") he can play a card called Detect Traps & Secret Doors. The card may either:

Search for traps AND secret doors in a room or corridor, even when monsters are visible.

OR

Search a designated single space for traps on the other side of an open door.

So two scenarios that you wish you could do something, but get screwed over by the quest map, and you only get to overcome that rule once.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » July 15th, 2019, 7:03 am

I've got 2 play groups, originally I was aiming at combining the searches, but in the group with my girlfriend, she was adamant on doing thing "by the book", so for that group, the searches were not combined.
Thus I noticed a difference between the two groups as this group tends to miss secret doors more often.

I do like Admiral's idea of combining the searches primarily for the Dwarf.
The group with my girlfriend tends to sometimes bypass this by buying the Elf a Potion of Vision, allowing her to automatically see traps and secret doors without searching.

There was this one quest where the Barbarian (played by her daughter's boyfriend) entered a room with an orc in it. But he was sitting across the table and asked me to move him next to the orc so he could attack. But of the 2 spaces I could move the Barbarian, one had a Spear Trap. So I hesitated and said, "Which space?"
"Doesn't matter," he answered.
"You choose," I insisted.
So he luckily chose the space that didn't have the spear trap. When it was my girlfriend's turn, she walked in with the Elf (still under the effects of a Potion of Vision), and I announce "upon entering the room the elf immediately spits a spear trap," as I point to the square.
The boyfriend looked at me, "So that's why I had to choose..." I just started laughing.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » July 15th, 2019, 9:49 pm

wallydubbs wrote:she was adamant on doing thing "by the book", so for that group, the searches were not combined.

It is by the book, it's simply a case of which book and interpretation of. But yeah... those secret doors are going to get missed, which can seriously slow things down further. In other cases it can be funny, lost confused Heroes!

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 6th, 2021, 4:19 am

The Admiral wrote:In my old EU days one search found all, but the NA rules made each search a separate action, and that's how I've been playing for almost 20 years now. But I got to thinking that maybe Europe had it right? The thought of a Hero meticulously combing the room searching for a hairline crack in the wall, or a hair breadth trip wire and only finding one and not the other actually seems less realistic to me. This would also speed thing up dramatically, and we have so much to play!

In a game, it's good policy to do what is fun . . . you have chosen wisely.

The EU combined search is easier and more fun for many of us. Now for an NA apologetic. As already mentioned by Wallydubs, splitting the searches creates an opportunity for missed secret doors. The purpose of a secret door is partially subverted if it can more effectively be found with a general search. On a fun scale, it isn't fun to only have regular doors (not interesting), it it isn't fun to miss all secret doors (too hard), and somewhere between it is most fun to find most secret doors. I feel the EU game makes finding secret doors so easy that it is nearer to finding just regular doors as compared to the NA rule. Our forum has taught us that it's really just a perception as to where the most fun lies, however.

Another point of separating searches is due to the physical location of where the Hero is searching: secret doors are found on walls, not floors; traps are found on floors or on chests which are located on floors, not walls. Exceptions to this fact must be detailed in the Quest Notes section. Since searches use assumed movement, searched locations are only there to simulate exploration. So this kind of search-location focus only affects verisimilitude in Hero Quest.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Agente Cooper » August 6th, 2021, 6:34 am

In EU, the action "look for traps and secret doors" involves several actions:
1. Reveal (and put token) all pit and stones traps.
2. Reveal (and disarm) all arrow trap.
3. Reveal and OPEN all secret doors.
This is a little risk, because this secret room could has monsters that will attack in next Morcar turn.
Agente Cooper

Forum Language: Español
Hero:

Previous

Return to Official Rules