• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Can Monsters open doors if...?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Can Monsters open doors if...?

Postby Daedalus » January 1st, 2018, 3:40 pm

kyrrahn wrote:I usually go with the rule that a named monster is essentially and evil hero and can then open doors. Witchlord, Skulmar etc... should all be able to open doors. The minions shouldn't. Gives the strong monsters tactical options without rendering the generic monsters broken.

Your houserule has some merit, but raises a few questions for me. Is a named monster able to open doors before it is revealed? (I imagine not.) If so, must Quest Notes dictate when? What about when the named monster is no longer in view of any Hero?

Also, is a named monster--being essentially a Hero--able to search for secret doors and treasure?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby kyrrahn » January 6th, 2018, 9:23 pm

We normally have them follow the same guidelines set out for the final quest in WoM. We reveal areas as the monster goes there but there's no searching for treasure and no trying not to be all "Benny Hill" and lead the heroes on a non stop chase. It's more about giving the EW options so that the game can have a bit of cat and mouse. I saw it being abused once and it ruined the game but in its defence if you're playing against experienced players it forces them to adapt their tactics. Like most home-brewing it can be broken if you abuse it but it adds to the game if done right.
I want my Mummy :mummy:
kyrrahn

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 7th, 2018, 7:03 pm

kyrrahn wrote:We normally have them follow the same guidelines set out for the final quest in WoM. We reveal areas as the monster goes there but there's no searching for treasure and no trying not to be all "Benny Hill" and lead the heroes on a non stop chase. It's more about giving the EW options so that the game can have a bit of cat and mouse. I saw it being abused once and it ruined the game but in its defence if you're playing against experienced players it forces them to adapt their tactics. Like most home-brewing it can be broken if you abuse it but it adds to the game if done right.

I can't get on board with what you are writing here. A rule is a rule. There is no abusing it or not. A player should play out the best way it can be played. If i'm thinking i'm not going to do something because it will ruin the game, but it can be done, that means that mod/rule is broken and shouldn't be there.

Put another way... Imagine playing soft then just at the point you start to lose you whip out this 'new' rule that was there all along but didn't want to use it. That's going to upset many players and seem like you're just making it up as you go along.

If you make mods, as the modder, it's your responsibility to balance them.

Like we know players can abuse waiting outside rooms, rerolling into multiple turns for high movement (not that i've seen this but it can be done) so we introduce things like Chaos Tokens/Deck or Hazard on rolling double 1's. Mods that add fun to the game but are actually 'secretly' fixing ways experienced, purely mechanical players can 'abuse' the original rules, with out changing the original rules... As that is very UN HEROQUEST. Not welcome! lol!!!

As modders we have to think of the ways the rules can be abused and work away that abuse, with out ruining the fun or over complicating things. NOT, just simply not doing something to play more fairly. That is the very definition of BROKEN!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 8th, 2018, 5:17 am

mitchiemasha wrote:
kyrrahn wrote:We normally have them follow the same guidelines set out for the final quest in WoM. We reveal areas as the monster goes there but there's no searching for treasure and no trying not to be all "Benny Hill" and lead the heroes on a non stop chase. It's more about giving the EW options so that the game can have a bit of cat and mouse. I saw it being abused once and it ruined the game but in its defence if you're playing against experienced players it forces them to adapt their tactics. Like most home-brewing it can be broken if you abuse it but it adds to the game if done right.

I can't get on board with what you are writing here. A rule is a rule. There is no abusing it or not. A player should play out the best way it can be played. If i'm thinking i'm not going to do something because it will ruin the game, but it can be done, that means that mod/rule is broken and shouldn't be there.

Put another way... Imagine playing soft then just at the point you start to lose you whip out this 'new' rule that was there all along but didn't want to use it. That's going to upset many players and seem like you're just making it up as you go along.

If you make mods, as the modder, it's your responsibility to balance them.

Like we know players can abuse waiting outside rooms, rerolling into multiple turns for high movement (not that i've seen this but it can be done) so we introduce things like Chaos Tokens/Deck or Hazard on rolling double 1's. Mods that add fun to the game but are actually 'secretly' fixing ways experienced, purely mechanical players can 'abuse' the original rules, with out changing the original rules... As that is very UN HEROQUEST. Not welcome! lol!!!

As modders we have to think of the ways the rules can be abused and work away that abuse, with out ruining the fun or over complicating things. NOT, just simply not doing something to play more fairly. That is the very definition of BROKEN!

This is the ancient discussion of whether the EWP is a player trying to win or a game master facilitating fun.
Both are valid viewpoints.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 8th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Both are valid viewpoints.

I agree... Both are valid to how a group choose to play.

When I play as EW i tend to do a bit of both. I see killing at least 1 hero a win. Complete wipes are no fun for players and should be quite rare, the fastest way to lose a group. We all want to progress through the story and the EW will lose in the end, overall, eventually.

My point however is, if their's a rule when abused, you pretty much always win, this is broken, regardless to the facilitate fun or play to win debate. If you feel like winning that day, abuse it!!! that's not how mods should exists. If it can be abused, it needs to be balanced. Not completely, just countered. I like games to have wonky balancing, different approaches to play, depending.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gomcse » January 27th, 2018, 3:09 am

Actually, this came up for us and I decided that if a hero made a room "visible," then Zargon could sound an alarm and open at least one door to that room. That gives the monsters a way out.
Gomcse

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 27th, 2018, 4:15 am

Gomcse wrote:Actually, this came up for us and I decided that if a hero made a room "visible," then Zargon could sound an alarm and open at least one door to that room. That gives the monsters a way out.

But what do you do when a monster escapes into the next room? Do you set it up or do you just add that monster to the contents when that room is discovered by a hero?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 27th, 2018, 4:45 pm

The Escape token could use this feature. Escape through a closed door, place the monster in the room, don't reveal the room. The monster can no longer move until the room is revealed.

It would be perceived that they are waiting for you in that room.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gomcse » January 27th, 2018, 10:46 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
Gomcse wrote:Actually, this came up for us and I decided that if a hero made a room "visible," then Zargon could sound an alarm and open at least one door to that room. That gives the monsters a way out.

But what do you do when a monster escapes into the next room? Do you set it up or do you just add that monster to the contents when that room is discovered by a hero?

More of a chase. I'm not adding more monsters, just using monsters that already exist. By opening a door I can have the heroes experience consequences when they try to be too squirrelly. If the situation works best adding to the contents of the room, I'll do that. Otherwise, the monsters will make a run towards the heroes.
Gomcse

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 28th, 2018, 3:34 am

I didn't imply that you would simply change the overall number of monsters within the quest.
But where do you draw the line?
You let a monster open a door and go into the next room. Do you set up that next room or do you hold the monster back until a hero enters that room?
Is it always a possibility for you to just have the heroes fight two rooms of monsters? I guess that's the question that I wanna ask.
Because that is basically, how should I put it, an option for you to cheat the other players.
It outweighs fairness and makes you more of a referee instaed of a fifth player that can have fun trying to defeat the heroes within the confines of a rule system.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules