• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Pass through Rock or Veil of Mist... through furniture?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Pass through Rock or Veil of Mist... through furniture?

Postby Maurice76 » November 11th, 2018, 6:03 pm

The Admiral wrote:You really have to decide for yourself where rules clash with reality. I mean, a dining table really isn't going to stop anyone. Heck, I'm no hero, but even I can climb over/under my kitchen table, and yet in the game it is an impervious barrier to even the mightiest :barbarian:

Then you assume the ceiling in a dungeon (or to be precise, the ceiling above the table) is as high as the ceiling in your kitchen :P. Maybe the occupants of the table in the room have filed complaint after complaint to the dungeon architect that they're constantly bumping their heads when they get up from their chairs / stools :P.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » June 9th, 2019, 11:20 am

I had one instance where a player boldly used the spell to not only pass through the wall but also through some furniture to get to the rest of the heroes where he needed to be. He had enough dice roll to do it, so I allowed it. I guess those particular pieces of furniture were all made of stone!

Then again, my Alchemist variant of the Wizard has a skill replacing this spell where he releases an animal that burrows through the walls to let him pass (with the rubble collapsing behind them as they go), so that wouldn't work, unless he's chewing through the scenery as well. But maybe he is...

That's not a table anymore, that's a pile of splintered wood!

Veil of Mist/Dust of Disappearance just lets you sneak past monsters (not Ogres though? Maybe you scoot between their legs on the ground... I bet the Dwarf could do it!). Here we go... the monster crouches down and rubs his eyes to try to see through the "mist" and in that moment you totally leapfrog over his head!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 7th, 2021, 3:12 am

pemcode wrote:[This topic was moved from Board index ‹ HeroQuest Rooms ‹ General HeroQuest Discussion on 7/15/18. -edit]

Pass through Rock lets you move through walls. Veil of Mist lets you move through monsters. Heroes can normally move through other Heroes.

But what about Furniture? The idea that Furniture is the only thing that a Hero can never move through seems awkward.

So I interpret Pass through Rock as letting you move through Walls and Furniture. If you end your turn on Furniture, then you die (in that respect it's like a Wall).

If you want maximum movement powers, you can cast Veil of Mist + Pass Through Rock + Swift Wind on a Hero.

Am I wrong to interpret Pass through Rock as letting you move through Furniture? Is it explicitly stated in the rules (NA or EU or other)?

Another way to pass through low furniture is to treat it as trapped, which the rules allow. I'd say A Hero can attempt jump low furniture to pass, but failure causes the Hero to suffer one BP of damage and the Hero's turn ends before it. That's a BAD THING when passing through rock. :skeleton:

Since a fireplace is mostly made of stone, I'd rule it's okay to pass through it. Maybe a tomb could also get a free pass. Bookcases and the Cupboard are too large for jumping, so they should effectively block directly moving through them.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 7th, 2021, 11:08 am

As you pass through this square, you realize that some Orcs had a fire going in that stone fireplace... roll for damage!

Basically you could just say "can't stand there" on the various occupied squares, but being "trapped forever" in a piece of wood vs. solid rock? Maybe the trap method would seem logical. If their last square is inside the table, they roll 1 combat die for the splinters, and then push them off to a safe square a la Falling Block trap.

As for telefragging monsters, I'd say no to that too, can't stand there... push them off a square. Maybe roll if you want them to bounce off his sword or something.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » August 8th, 2021, 11:11 am

To not make things too much complex, as you pass the wall, you should see the furniture in front of your face, so the EWP should place that furniture only and you will be able to change your direction (you can't pass through woods, only rocks).
Also you may consider, If the furniture is a small one, like a chest or a throne to move them away or to temporarily step on it (on a table).
For the monsters, I would just prefer to change their position; it is possible that if you see someone coming out from a wall you are surprised and step away.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 8th, 2021, 12:07 pm

That would be an unfortunate situation if they had only one square of movement left and furniture was blocking all of their safe squares! Would seem a judgement call on Zargon's part to either forget the furniture position or allow them to essentially "jump" it rather than be trapped forever in the stone wall.

I guess you could come up with all kinds of other solutions other than "oops, turns out that table was made of stone!" maybe it was a mimic that moved aside to attack you, or something (here Veil of Mist would let you pass through the Mimic monster, as all monsters). I still think if it were me, I'd treat it as a falling block trap and give them 1 square to move aside to a free space (just as if they landed on one with the last of the maximum movement roll), if they were out of movement and the only other alternative was to be trapped.

In theory a Hero COULD have pass through rock AND veil of mist active on him at once, either because of spell distribution or use of artifacts (Dust of Disappearance, spell scrolls, etc). Neither would literally let you pass through furniture though, without that judgement call or homebrew rule by Zargon.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous