• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Pass through Rock or Veil of Mist... through furniture?

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Pass through Rock or Veil of Mist... through furniture?

Postby pemcode » May 26th, 2018, 12:42 am

[This topic was moved from Board index ‹ HeroQuest Rooms ‹ General HeroQuest Discussion on 7/15/18. -edit]

Pass through Rock lets you move through walls. Veil of Mist lets you move through monsters. Heroes can normally move through other Heroes.

But what about Furniture? The idea that Furniture is the only thing that a Hero can never move through seems awkward.

So I interpret Pass through Rock as letting you move through Walls and Furniture. If you end your turn on Furniture, then you die (in that respect it's like a Wall).

If you want maximum movement powers, you can cast Veil of Mist + Pass Through Rock + Swift Wind on a Hero.

Am I wrong to interpret Pass through Rock as letting you move through Furniture? Is it explicitly stated in the rules (NA or EU or other)?
Last edited by Daedalus on July 14th, 2018, 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved topic
please contact me if you have significant skill + time to help with HeroQuest for UE4: http://mepem.com/pemcode/?cat=14
pemcode

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Pass through Rock... through furniture?

Postby knightkrawler » May 26th, 2018, 1:54 am

pemcode wrote:Am I wrong to interpret Pass through Rock as letting you move through Furniture? Is it explicitly stated in the rules (NA or EU or other)?

"...through walls..."
Yes, reading the card it's not even a debate that you're wrong. BUT I can see the points of changing the text on the card.
This topic has come up once or twice over the years. Here's one of the classic threads on this forum: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1281&p=13795&hilit=pass+through+rock#p13795

Me, I renamed the spells "Pass Through Walls" to avoid debate.

Also, the thread is easily found among four results when you do this with the Advanced Search function.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Pass through Rock or Veil of Mist... through furniture?

Postby pemcode » May 26th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Pass Through Rock says "move through walls"

Veil of Mist says "move unseen through spaces that are occupied by monsters"

So I agree a literal interpretation of the way it's worded means a Hero can not move through furniture (even with Pass Through Rock + Veil of Mist).

Which means Furniture is the only Hero blocker you can't bypass with a spell.

However, this makes me wonder:
1) Is it a rules bug? HeroQuest has other rules that seem broken (where they didn't think through the details and implications).
2) Is it better design if Pass Through Rock or Veil of Mist (not sure which one) lets a Hero move through furniture?
please contact me if you have significant skill + time to help with HeroQuest for UE4: http://mepem.com/pemcode/?cat=14
pemcode

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » May 26th, 2018, 5:34 pm

pemcode wrote:Pass Through Rock says "move through walls"

Veil of Mist says "move unseen through spaces that are occupied by monsters"

So I agree a literal interpretation of the way it's worded means a Hero can not move through furniture (even with Pass Through Rock + Veil of Mist).

Which means Furniture is the only Hero blocker you can't bypass with a spell.

However, this makes me wonder:
1) Is it a rules bug? HeroQuest has other rules that seem broken (where they didn't think through the details and implications).
2) Is it better design if Pass Through Rock or Veil of Mist (not sure which one) lets a Hero move through furniture?

Veil of Mist lets you move "unseen". Furniture does not "see".

Pass Through Rock seems the correct one to pass through hard inanimate objects.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby pemcode » May 26th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Good point; Veil of Mist letting you move unseen through Furniture seems silly...

So it's either (Pass Through Rock move through Furniture) or (Furniture is the only thing you can never move through).

Personally I like the idea of letting Pass Through Rock work on Furniture, because it makes an underused spell useful in interesting scenarios.
pemcode

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 27th, 2018, 4:13 am

I have always played PtR also allows you to move through furniture, if only because it's easier to play considering furniture are often placed against the walls.
The whole paradox being you move into an unseen square, which is possible unpassable, but you can't know that until you move into said square.
Allowing to pass through furniture partly removes this glitch. Of course we have the same problem with monsters standing against the walls... I usually force the hero to move to a free square next to the monster. They can't see the room for free and move back into the walls.

Anyways... Passing through furniture comes with a price. If you end your movement on a square occupied by a piece of furniture you becomes stuck in that furniture forever "The Fly"-style!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 27th, 2018, 6:34 am

Goblin-King wrote:"The Fly"

I watched that movie again just recently. The Goldblum version. Just freakin' brilliant...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » May 27th, 2018, 7:52 am

knightkrawler wrote:

I watched that movie again just recently. The Goldblum version. Just freakin' brilliant...

That's the one. Cronenberg is a freaking genius! Some of the best body horror you'll ever see |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 27th, 2018, 8:07 am

Goblin-King wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:

That's the one. Cronenberg is a freaking genius! Some of the best body horror you'll ever see |_P

The funny thing is, the body horror in The Fly to a very large part stems from Goldblum's over-acting in the beginning where he's all chipper and positively, dare I say, bug-eyed about everything. A lot of close-ups of his rather-too-excited face to put what happens later into perspective. Goldblum's a genius, too. It's one of those director/actor congenialities...

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » May 27th, 2018, 8:57 am

Agreed! Goldblum is an amazing actor (in his own way)

Jeff Goldblum wrote:People often come up to me and ask if it's pronounced "Goldblom" or "Goldbluum".
I always give them the same answer: How dare you speak to me!?

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Official Rules