• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Trap Disarming Error

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Trap Disarming Error

Postby torilen » November 23rd, 2014, 11:49 am

This is another one of those instances where the game group has to remember that the heroes are, in fact,
heroes, and probably friends and comrades. They should be working together to complete the quests, for the
common good of one another and the kingdom.

Ideally, if one adventurer finds a trap, he would call it out and the designated trap-springer (the dwarf) would
move on over and take care of it. Granted, this might be a little harder if the dwarf has already taken his turn.
Perhaps the dwarf would need to go ahead and take his NEXT turn, and just become last in the order of taking
turns from then on. Or, the group (evil wizard included) would agree that the dwarf could take an extra turn if
needed...maybe the evil wizard makes a special roll to check for wandering monsters in such a case or some other
activity to make up for a hero having an extra turn.

I know this starts to border more on a roleplaying game ruling than a board game ruling...that's how I see it working
though.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby sajungzak » November 23rd, 2014, 12:03 pm

There should be no monsters present and unless someone opens a door, or gets a wondering monster, or they left the dwarf behind to finish off a battle and it takes more than one rotation of turns for the dwarf to get there so they forgot where the trap was, now, whose fault is that? They should remember where it is, there are 4 of them, after all. Usually, when someone asks, one of them remembers. And, if not, it's only one action to ask again. No biggee.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 23rd, 2014, 2:21 pm

Well, the point with a pit trap... Once you know where it is, it's obvious. Once someone has fell init... it's a big pit, clear as day to see. Spear traps are a different story. As for the EU rules been BS as mentioned earlier, it's not BS it's just different, perhaps less fun but not BS.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » November 23rd, 2014, 2:28 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:Well, the point with a pit trap... Once you know where it is, it's obvious. Once someone has fell init... it's a big pit, clear as day to see. Spear traps are a different story. As for the EU rules been BS as mentioned earlier, it's not BS it's just different, perhaps less fun but not BS.

In the us, we don't put the pit trap tile down when they search. Only when sprung. At least, I don't. Same with falling block and swinging axe.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 23rd, 2014, 4:14 pm

I personally prefer the traps to stay hidden until sprung.
Why does the spear traps disappear when you search for traps?
You can have a whole room or corridor filled with spear traps; search and "poof" they are all gone. That's pretty close to BS in my book.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » November 24th, 2014, 10:59 am

Goblin-King wrote:I personally prefer the traps to stay hidden until sprung.
Why does the spear traps disappear when you search for traps?
You can have a whole room or corridor filled with spear traps; search and "poof" they are all gone. That's pretty close to BS in my book.

You just set them all off while standing out of the way.

No reason why the quest writer can't specify that the traps have to be disarmed though.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 24th, 2014, 11:30 am

cornixt wrote:No reason why the quest writer can't specify that the traps have to be disarmed though.

Isn't quest notes a wonderful tool? :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » November 24th, 2014, 11:41 am

Goblin-King wrote:
cornixt wrote:No reason why the quest writer can't specify that the traps have to be disarmed though.

Isn't quest notes a wonderful tool? :D

Microsoft Quest Notes 2014 ®

:D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » November 24th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Quest notes are what makes the game more than a hack and slash fest. You can put some pretty crazy stuff in a quest as a one-off. I don't know why everyone is so keen on making their updated HQ rules into a 100 page book that features every possible thing you could do. I'd much rather have 50 quests with a different unique rule in each one.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » November 24th, 2014, 1:00 pm

cornixt wrote:Quest notes are what makes the game more than a hack and slash fest. You can put some pretty crazy stuff in a quest as a one-off. I don't know why everyone is so keen on making their updated HQ rules into a 100 page book that features every possible thing you could do. I'd much rather have 50 quests with a different unique rule in each one.

^ Yep. I find myself veering toward those multi page notes, but when I review the system quests, I see some great stuff, and reel it in. Like the unique falling block traps in #13 Quest for the Spirit Blade that do not block movement, and that you have better odds of avoiding injury if you're wearing a helmet.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules