• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Incorrectly Played Rules

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Incorrectly Played Rules

Postby Fullork345 » June 19th, 2016, 6:52 pm

[Comments generated by this post were moved to the Courage Spell topic on 8/23/16.]

I apparently always played courage wrong. Thought it lasted until line of site ended, not only one attack.
Last edited by Daedalus on August 22nd, 2016, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added link to moved posts
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » June 9th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Grew up playing the NA game...

We were pretty young, and impatient to start playing rather than study the rules, so we did all kinds of stupid things when we first started playing.

The first major blunder was treating "looking" as requiring the player to trace out with their finger on the board what squares they were looking at. If you didn't specifically look at it, you didn't see it! So going into a room didn't reveal everything by default. So we would go wandering around through empty rooms, hoping not to see anything bad. UNLESS you ran over a square with a monster or piece of door furniture, then you were forced to back up and place it there. I believe the original EU rules said something about how you could open a door and before going in side, look straight through the door to see just what is in front of it. But we weren't even close!

"Roll one red die for each of his mind points... if a 6 is rolled the spell is broken" we took to mean you roll a red die ONCE and it either has to equal his mind points OR be 6 (before that we thought if it was over your mind points or 6, it was broken). We carried on for awhile before we realized that didn't make sense.

We tried though.. we were like.. maybe what you don't know can't hurt you, so the Wizard is actually more susceptible to spells, while the dumb brute Barbarian doesn't know why you're waving your hands around like you think you're some Jedi or something... ;)

We also tried the "buy infinite helmets" loophole. Well maybe you could bang those helmets into a suit of armor or something...

We had some arguments about the rolling boulder in Kellar's Keep... does it hit the wall and roll BACK again? I raised a big stink the first time I got "Command" used on me, arguing that as a "monster," he couldn't use potions, open doors, drop items, etc. Yes, I used to be a sore loser. :oops:

And yes, we had the "unlimited treasure searches" thing active too. Later we changed it to all four can search a room, even after the "quest treasure" in it has been found. Still way too easy to get all the good treasure really quickly and gear everyone up too fast.

When a Hero falls into a pit trap, Zargon mentions that they can search the pit for treasure if they want (as the rules state) and we would then forget and let them search it right then and there, even though they already used up their action...

We came back to the game later as adults, and after careful reading of the rules and such we have been much more strict. The "house rule" of heroic feats using your imagination (and villainous feats for the bad guys) in certain situations was satiated with the discovery of the "Combat Cards." That was the first thing from the community we implemented. Good times...

We never reshuffled the Treasure Card Deck before EACH draw (only at the start of each new quest), but I think we had a debate already about that in another thread. Some play it this way always, others do so. So the "real way" is to re-shuffle the deck when a "bad" card gets returned, and only then, right?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 6th, 2021, 7:29 pm

That's how my group did it--shuffle right after returning a bad card so it cannot be forgotten. Also, the Treasure Cards.should be shuffled.wben setting up the game.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 6th, 2021, 8:43 pm

More mistakes...

A few times we played quests and rolled to disarm traps with characters other than the Dwarf, forgetting that nobody had bought a toolkit and you actually need one to even be able to attempt it!

For many years, until recently actually, in the NA game, we put out the secret door tile when you found one, and then replaced it with an "open door" when you got up next to it to open. We wondered why we were running out of doors... (even went on ebay to order more!) and only lately realized you just move "through" the tile. Simplicity itself! Without the nitpickers at the Inn, I wouldn't have realized stuff like this.

We never acknowledged the fact that you can technically fire the Crossbow/throw daggers and launch spells "off-axis." That is, we always drew a straight line through the diagonal, horizontal or vertical squares from the piece, rather than that weird way they show in the Rules of Play drawing which is still legal. So now it's much easier to hit!

Also, we never really realized that you can throw daggers at point blank range (see magical throwing dagger card) and that Crossbows can hit the four diagonal squares (without needing a square in between).

When it came to passing items, I think we forgot that its only the one whose turn it is that gets to pass, so we just had sudden exchanges on the fly.

I think we ended people's turns when they got Wandering Monsters as well, forgetting you can still use movement if you have it. I don't think we applied the "if you haven't yet used an action on your turn" when the Hero had a healing spell but had been reduced to zero (happens with Wandering Monster hits and Hazards).

Often we'd reveal rooms once you opened the door, rather than the moment you chose to move inside (technically you can just stand in the doorway and look through, seeing only what is LOS on those squares).

We never paid close attention to the "no backtracking" rule, either.

We let characters on the same side leapfrog (even past their max movement), but that was more like a house-rule, rather than thinking we were doing it right but being wrong!

And this was a homebrew thing, the intention of the Combat Cards was for "pure combat" characters to have them, but we gave them to everyone. I guess because a lot of the artwork clearly showed an Elf, we figured why not let them all in on the fun. By that logic, Zargon should have gotten six cards instead of just 4 (the same number as the Heroes would have). That was before we added the EW deck of course.

This is less a broken rule and just the fact is that despite me loving to play as Zargon, when I play, 9 times out of 10 I forget something. But the self imposed rule is that if I forget, then it just gets scrubbed from the quest... if it was something super important, it will have to be fit in later if I missed it.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » March 16th, 2023, 6:00 pm

Many rules debates later... so you can backtrack in the NA rules, looking (LOS) matters for aiming in corridors in the NA rules, and Wandering Monster traps do "stop movement" (but not the action if you have that left on your turn).

I deliberately ignore the Crossbow orthogonally adjacent shooting rule, even if Avalon Hill says that's the way it always was and always should be in the NA rules, I interpret it the Japanese way to keep the crossbow and the longsword both useful at their regular prices.

And you're supposed to shuffle the treasure deck once when the quest begins... and right before each and every treasure search (for good measure!) but bad cards still go to the back of the deck.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Zenithfleet » March 16th, 2023, 9:29 pm

Playing the EU game, we used to write down any potions we found in the Treasure deck on our character sheets (the same way we would for potions found in the quest notes). We didn't realise you're only supposed to write down gold/jewel values--anything else is kept as a card until the end of the Quest, then discarded. No stockpiling of Heroic Brew!

We probably got this wrong because 'The Rescue of Sir Ragnar' has a healing potion in a chest that you write down on your character sheet and presumably can then keep from game to game, so we started treating the treasure card potions in the same way.

Also, more of a general issue, but ... although I kept my childhood copy of Heroquest mostly intact, the one thing I lost was the EU rulebook. I have no idea what happened to it, but it vanished only a couple of years after getting hold of the game. I was usually careful about things like that. Maybe it got left behind at a beach hotel or something ... Because of this, I spent many years playing HQ basically from memory and relying on the Quest Book alone. Luckily it's such a straightforward game that it didn't really give us any trouble, but I'm sure there were a lot of things we played incorrectly.

When I discovered the Inn, I printed out the American rules because they seemed superior. For a few years I ended up playing a kind of hybrid NA/EU ruleset, using a mix of rules from the American edition and vaguely remembered EU rules from childhood--plus the EU quest maps, of course. This included things like drinking a healing potion when you were reduced to 0 BP.

It was only a few years ago that I finally got hold of a replacement EU 2nd ed rulebook. (I never printed off a copy from the Inn's PDF for some reason.) Coming back to it fresh as an adult gave me a new appreciation for the simplicity and clarity of those rules (well, mostly simple and clear), as well as the general overall design, and I've gone back to preferring them over the fussier NA rules. Although trap tile placement and removal is completely silly in the EU version and we always house-rule that. :roll: :lol:

Unfortunately some of the custom EU cards I made for the Inn were done in the period before I found the EU rules again, so the wording is sometimes a bit too NA-style. :oops:
Zenithfleet

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Official Rules