• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Zargons turn pass

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Zargons turn pass

Postby Sjeng » January 13th, 2014, 8:37 am

That's exactly the idea :D

I'm thinking about mixing in a few positive effects as well, such as finding gold, or a map for a room. And some not-so-harmful events, such as no movement roll for a hero (trips and falls), just to keep it balanced.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Soundheart » January 13th, 2014, 8:54 am

Sjeng wrote:That's exactly the idea :D

I'm thinking about mixing in a few positive effects as well, such as finding gold, or a map for a room. And some not-so-harmful events, such as no movement roll for a hero (trips and falls), just to keep it balanced.

Now Im working on " HeroQuest Dungeon&Dragons edition" :idea: . There is many events/actions which heroes can doing. For each actions they must roll d20. There is a list of actions - for example "keep one's ears open" near the door. Zargon: "Roll d20. complexity class 15". Elf rolled 17. Zargon: "Ok. You listen and hear what the door snore two monsters" :D And etc.

Also there is many actions - mask and etc.

But I never thought about Zargons actions! If you wish i can send you my rules (after translation).
Soundheart

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 13th, 2014, 9:50 am

Sure, post away ^^
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby bastianbux » January 13th, 2014, 3:47 pm

We ran into this issue this past Saturday. If there is nothing for Morcar/Zargon to do, I do allow them to just "fast travel" to their destination. Of course, if there is a trap hindering them, they must first "fast travel" to the pit trap or whatever and roll to see if they are affected.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » January 13th, 2014, 3:58 pm

That's the only problem I could see...if there is a trap, and you make the players move as
normal, they might get reckless and not think to look for traps...just as real adventurers might.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » January 13th, 2014, 5:21 pm

That's why you let them retrace to the stairs, or take 7 squares of movement when there're no monsters ON the board.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » January 14th, 2014, 3:43 pm

chaoticprime wrote:That's why you let them retrace to the stairs, or take 7 squares of movement when there're no monsters ON the board.

Is that a houserule? Or is it in the HQ rules? I wasn't familiar with that.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » January 14th, 2014, 3:57 pm

bastianbux wrote:
chaoticprime wrote:That's why you let them retrace to the stairs, or take 7 squares of movement when there're no monsters ON the board.

Is that a houserule? Or is it in the HQ rules? I wasn't familiar with that.

Houserule ;)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 14th, 2014, 10:56 pm

Soundheart wrote:Hi! After the last game, I thought...Why I pass the turn,when I play as Zargon?

There was no monsters on the board, all doors was closed, heroes walked through the corridors and they every time rolled dice! But, in fine, I told them: "Ok, heroes, you can not roll dice, just align near the door as you wish open and tell me who open the door". :shock: :dwarf: :elf: :wizard: :barbarian: :shock: Because why they must roll dice if they whatever wil come to the door, align near it and open it.

Can Heroes pass turn when there is no monsters on the board for good align near the door and then open it? And what mast to do Zargon in this time?

P.S. Sorry for my English

House-ruling automatic movement can be a good idea, but I wouldn't apply it too broadly. Like Chaotic Prime's example of returning to the stairway, there are times where it's just tedious to finish out movement with no threat of monsters. On the other hand, I'd say stick with the regular turn sequence with dice rolls for movement in general.

Why? Random movement is the medium that links exploration and combat, two main features of the Hero Quest experience. Having a lone Hero encountering a monster too far ahead the others or lagging too far behind to be of immediate help is an important handicap. It forces Hero players into dramatic moments of less-than-optimal play, which makes the game more fun.

If automatic movement is granted in the no-monster situation you described, then actions shouldn't be allowed to balance this choice. Thus Heroes will also automatically spring traps, as bastianbux mentioned. They will also miss secret doors and won't cast spells. If a monster is revealed by a lead Hero as a result of automatic movement, then the regular movement rules take over on the next player's turn.

If there is no possibility of revealing a monster--as when the Heroes return to the stairway--lining everone up at the destination is fine. However, if unexplored, open corridors lay ahead, then a default 7 movement as Chaotic Prime suggests is best, as a monster might be revealed.

One problem with automatic movement is that it partially mitigates the movement penalty of plate mail. That may not matter to many groups, but expect that it will be chosen more often if auto movement is used.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » January 14th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Platemail doesn't get to auto-move.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules