• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Revolving room

Discuss the Rules of HeroQuest as set out by Milton Bradley Game Systems and Quest Packs.

Re: Revolving room

Postby knightkrawler » December 27th, 2012, 3:36 am

We're simply going to play it the way we always have.
Evil Wizard player (that's me) says how and that's how it's played.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Ethica » December 27th, 2012, 4:02 am

We never encountered any dispute when playing this quest. We played it like goblin king says. I agree that if the situation was real then the door would open and you would decide whether you wanted to leave or not, but that does defeat the purpose of the mechanism which is to split the party up. So I see it this way - if you don't leave the room then it wouldn't rotate again (some kind of pressure sensor in the floor).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » December 27th, 2012, 10:33 am

I super-like the D&D version. That's a limitation of the board game format! Anyway, the pressure sensor makes sense too.

If the idea is to split the group up, the rotating room has to be played a specific way to work. Otherwise, just use those magic portal doors from the original quests. Pain in the ass, really.
I think I might use my exacto to pare off the black edges from the rotating room tile - so that it's round and can be freely rotated in the middle of the game to add realism! woo hoo.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » December 27th, 2012, 11:02 am

I actually did rotate it for a while, but then I just switched the one open door around with the other 3 closed doors.
I'm 100% convinced the rules mean there's always just 1 open door, depending on what you roll, and the room rotates to that door. So the art on the tile is exactly what they meant it to be. Once inside there's only one exit, but the die decides what room you enter if you leave the revolving room.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 27th, 2012, 1:03 pm

@Sjeng-
The NA Quest Book avoids things in another way. Apparently a change was made to get around those problems mentioned by you and el_flesh. The pertinent information states:

[description of how to place the tile]
    ...When a Hero attempts to leave this room, he must first roll 1 d6 to see which door he will use to exit.

If he rolls a 1 or 2, he exits through door 1. If he rolls a 3...If he rolls a 6, he exits through door 4.

The part about monsters not entering the room was entirely omitted. I think it is also more clear how a Hero leaves the tile.

As for the EU Quest Book, I agree with Goblin-King on how to play the door and envision its workings. The "any exit" applies to the intended outer exit, which at that time the inner door apparently lines up with. The problem is, the confusing nature of the room likely will place the Heroes elswhere, randomly and actually deciding "by which door they leave." Your last post pretty much states the same.

My personal preference would be for the a door to shut after a Hero exits. There wouldn't be a need for magical confusion that way. If I ever play this one again, I'm going to add auto-shut doors to the mix. And perhaps some lute elevator music.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 27th, 2012, 4:26 pm

el_flesh wrote: I think I might use my exacto to pare off the black edges from the rotating room tile - so that it's round and can be freely rotated in the middle of the game to add realism! woo hoo.

You could also make a teensy little hole in the middle of that particular room in the gameboard or whatever you play on and pushpin the revolving room in there.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » December 27th, 2012, 5:51 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
el_flesh wrote: I think I might use my exacto to pare off the black edges from the rotating room tile - so that it's round and can be freely rotated in the middle of the game to add realism! woo hoo.

You could also make a teensy little hole in the middle of that particular room in the gameboard or whatever you play on and pushpin the revolving room in there.

Just cut out the square on cardboard for the tile twice, cut out the printed tile around the circle, glue the edges on the bottom one, and use a pin on the circle part. It will be twice as thick as a normal tile, but it will revolve :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » December 28th, 2012, 1:21 am

Daedalus wrote:If I ever play this one again, I'm going to add auto-shut doors to the mix. And perhaps some lute elevator music.

:lol:

Perhaps you could have the Minstrel from Talisman play a few fiddle tunes as well.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » December 28th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Yeah...the doors shut and the lute-ist drops from an opening in the ceiling, hanging from
some ropes. He starts playing and singing. And it is always the out-of-date music that
no one liked anyhow. (i.e. Song of Roland? hehehe)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 15th, 2019, 4:26 pm

I didn't realize monsters weren't allowed in this room... so if a hero searches for Treasure and gets a Wandering monster, nothing happens? Or maybe there just shouldn't be searches allowed in this room at all...

The only issue I have with it is the Zombie 2 spaces out in the central hallway (see Cold Halls map). Suppose the Dwarf steps out and attacks the Zombie but fails to kill it... if the next hero rolls the right #, is he not allowed to leave that room?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Official Rules