• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hunting the Unreleased Quests

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby The Admiral » April 29th, 2019, 8:49 am

In my Wizard quest pack I used the Minotaur, Ratman and Giant Spider as my best guesses.
As Wallydubbs says, the Sabretooth appears to be an alternative for the Giant Wolf. This only leaves the Centaur, which I think was for the Dwarf quest pack. The Wizard quest was apparently finished and would therefore have had three of the known 4 monsters designed.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Pancho » April 29th, 2019, 8:50 am

wallydubbs wrote:
Pancho wrote:Do we have a clear idea at this point which of the new monsters in the artwork were supposed to go with each quest pack? For example, the Centaurs, Minotaur, and I think I remember giant spiders and sabre-tooth cats from Toco's website. Which of these were supposed to go with the Dwarf and which ones with the Wizard?

From what I gathered from Kueker they only employed him for the Elf and Wizard quest packs. In fact, it didn't even seem like he knew what a Dwarf was... that or his hearing was way off (excusable as he's 86 years old). One of the drawings I've seen depicts a Dwarf weilding a war hammer, but when Kueker described it he called it "a bearded soldier." When I tried to correct him, stating it was a "Dwarf", he couldn't quite understand what I was trying to tell him.

From my understanding the Centaur and Minotaur were meant for the Wizard quest packs; the Sabertooth Tiger was another option for the Elf Quest Pack, but someone decided to go with the Giant Wolf instead. I don't recall him saying anything about Giant Spiders.

He didn't really want me showing off his art, as he seemed very protective over it and was weary that others would try to steal it and make money off of it. Though when I tried to assure him that wasn't the case he suddenly grew defensive.

He did mention that someone else asked him about it years before, which I assume might have been Taco... so I didn't learn anything new as this information had already funneled back through him.

That's very interesting.
Are you sure that the Sabretooth Tiger was intended for the EQP and then substituted for giant wolves, rather than the tiger being a separate Monster for one of the unreleased packs? I don't think it's clear from Toco's website either way, so is this something that Kueker confirmed in your conversation?

Would you agree that the list of monsters could be something like this;
- Sabretooth Tiger (either scrapped from EQP, or intended for WQP or DQP)
- Centaur (WQP)
- Minotaur (WQP)
- Ratmen (WQP or DQP)
- Giant spider (WQP or DQP)
- Any other monsters I haven't mentioned?

Going by precedent set by the EQP & BQP there were usually 3 new monster miniatures added plus a Boss villain (although the Ogres in EQP were not really new as they were in ATOH).
So the number of monsters in my list above would be about right, although its obviously missing the Bosses.
In regards to the new Heroes I think the one on the left is the female wizard and the one on the right is the new dwarf Hero (maybe they decided in the early stages not to have a female dwarf because the idea of lady dwarves are a bit weird)?

Edit; although if Kueker says he didn't work on the DQP then the guy on the right couldn't be a dwarf. Maybe its a new mercenary intended for the WQP?

Edit 2; although going by the logic of my first edit then none of the other monsters could have been for the DQP, and they were all ideas for the WQP. Say the tiger was scrapped from the EQP, that leaves the Minotaur, Centaur, Ratmen and Giant spiders as possible monsters all for the WQP (and leaving us none the wiser for what was intended for the Dwarf to face).

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 29th, 2019, 9:14 am

Pancho wrote:Would you agree that the list of monsters could be something like this;
- Centaur (WQP)
- Minotaur (WQP)
- Ratmen (WQP or DQP)

Going by precedent set by the EQP & BQP there were usually 3 new monster miniatures added plus a Boss villain (although the Ogres in EQP were not really new as they were in ATOH).
So the number of monsters in my list above would be about right, although its obviously missing the Bosses.
In regards to the new Heroes I think the one on the left is the female wizard and the one on the right is the new dwarf Hero (maybe they decided in the early stages not to have a female dwarf because the idea of lady dwarves are a bit weird)?

Yes, both published QP's had 3 monster types with a 3/2/2 configuration. 3 Ice Gremlins, 2 Yetis and 2 Polar Warbears, and 3 Giant Wolves, 2 Elf Archers, 2 Elf Swordsmen. I am sure the WQP would have followed the same 3/2/2 formula from your list above.

The BQP has the henchmen figures from the EU HQ advanced edition. The EQP has the Ogre figures from AtOH. It is my belief that the WQP would have had the 4 Evil Wizards from WoM. The Female wizard is a definate, and the boss unknown.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » April 29th, 2019, 9:24 am

The Admiral wrote:
Pancho wrote:Would you agree that the list of monsters could be something like this;
- Centaur (WQP)
- Minotaur (WQP)
- Ratmen (WQP or DQP)

Yes, both published QP's had 3 monster types with a 3/2/2 configuration. 3 Ice Gremlins, 2 Yetis and 2 Polar Warbears, and 3 Giant Wolves, 2 Elf Archers, 2 Elf Swordsmen. I am sure the WQP would have followed the same 3/2/2 formula from your list above.

The BQP has the henchmen figures from the EU HQ advanced edition. The EQP has the Ogre figures from AtOH. It is my belief that the WQP would have had the 4 Evil Wizards from WoM. The Female wizard is a definate, and the boss unknown.

I'd never considered that they might have re-used the 4 Evil wizards, interesting. Morcar already brought them back to life for the 5th quest so I suppose he could do it again.
Another option is that the giant spider was the boss (kinda like Shelob). I did think the minotaur could be the boss but the prototype looks a bit too puny and generic to be a true Boss...

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » April 29th, 2019, 9:28 am

Going by the 3/2/2 configuration the WQP maybe would have had 3 ratmen/2 minotaurs/2 Centaurs (a very "bestial" kind of theme). Boss or bosses unknown.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » April 29th, 2019, 11:07 am

Pancho wrote:Going by the 3/2/2 configuration the WQP maybe would have had 3 ratmen/2 minotaurs/2 Centaurs (a very "bestial" kind of theme). Boss or bosses unknown.

I went 3 Giant Spiders, 2 Ratmen, 2 Minotaurs. Having no Centaur minis was a factor!

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 29th, 2019, 11:24 am

Pancho wrote:[I'd never considered that they might have re-used the 4 Evil wizards, interesting. Morcar already brought them back to life for the 5th quest so I suppose he could do it again.

Although they would be the same figures, I envisage them being different characters using existing and some new NA Chaos spells.
3 Wizard Solo quests, 4 Evil Wizard Quests, Double Big Boss quest, and 1 other? this is just my own intuition of course.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » April 29th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sabertooth Tigers were just an alternate option to Giant Wolves, though I can't remember his exact words, I do believe he used the word "Instead". Just the same, Sabertooth Tigers seem like they'd be more inclined to be part of the Barbarian Quest Pack, which seems to have more of an Ice Age feel.

I didn't ask about Giant Spiders and Rat Men (Skaven?) nor were they ever brought up. But one would assume the RatMen go with a Dwarf pack as they both seem like they'd be Tunnel Dwellers.

I do recall one other thing he said in regards to the Wizard quest pack: he said his boss was very disappointed in how the cards came out and that he wished he had Kueker make them instead but it was too late. So if anyone ever gets to see this mythical Wizard's Quest Pack, the drawing on the cards aren't up to par.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » April 30th, 2019, 7:25 pm

The Admiral wrote:3 Wizard Solo quests, 4 Evil Wizard Quests, Double Big Boss quest, and 1 other? this is just my own intuition of course.

And the last one should be a 2 heroes quest, male and female wizard together!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » May 1st, 2019, 3:35 am

lestodante wrote:
The Admiral wrote:3 Wizard Solo quests, 4 Evil Wizard Quests, Double Big Boss quest, and 1 other? this is just my own intuition of course.

And the last one should be a 2 heroes quest, male and female wizard together!

Well I envisaged the last quest as the big boss double quest. Where the 'extra' quest comes in I've no idea? In my pack I made it a single semi-group quest (Quest 4) with all the other Heroes apart from the Wizard, who is off doing his solo stuff. The 3 Heroes have to find a weapon capable of slaying the Big Boss (Balur in my pack).

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items