• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

COMMANDER OF THE GUARDIAN KNIGHTS discussion

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: COMMANDER OF THE GUARDIAN KNIGHTS discussion

Postby Kurgan » January 4th, 2023, 11:19 am

A proper knight (though on foot) would be great. I'm sure there's no problem at all giving us the same stats and card functions, just with slightly different art and model. If they wanted, they could say it isn't the "Commander" this time. Got plenty of other ranks left... even though they made that commercial on the Avalon Hill youtube channel that implied they all had the exact same "uniform" just with different haircuts, facial hair, etc. (orcs, elves, women, men and even one with a blindfold and cane!).

But just say the guy/gal is kitted out in full battle dress, boom. Nothing actually says they have to have a male and female version, that was just the expectation set by the first release (and bolstered by the hero collection Rogue Heir of Elethorn). Having a generic knight in armor so bulky you could imagine it was a man or woman inside is fine. Personally I'd be happy if there were a few knights in the box rather than just one. But maybe he'll just be one of several bonus heroes in the box? Here I'm thinking this is their opportunity to re-release some of that mythic stuff people were wanting, again, even if they're alternate designs.

Hey, we could get a more traditional male druid and male warlock this time. But to balance things out, a female Orc Pirate? ;)

Would a dragon be out of line? I could see that making a bigger splash than mermaids, genies, ghosts or half-spider/scorpion elves, but then this is a brand new pack, so anything is possible. Just whatever they do, pulling in lore from legacy HQ stuff (even if they're not revamping an existing pack) would be perfectly fitting.

I just hope this isn't the LAST official HeroQuest release. Then again if it were, it was a good run... we kept the flame alive for three decades, we can do it again!

Still, if it were the last new thing, they ought to keep selling the old retail stuff indefinitely like the other Hasbro properties out there. Where I live, HeroQuest is JUST NOW appearing on store shelves... (game system at least, the expansions sell out too fast to gather dust).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Nlinindoll » January 4th, 2023, 12:57 pm

Kurgan wrote: I just hope this isn't the LAST official HeroQuest release. Then again if it were, it was a good run... we kept the flame alive for three decades, we can do it again!

Still, if it were the last new thing, they ought to keep selling the old retail stuff indefinitely like the other Hasbro properties out there. Where I live, HeroQuest is JUST NOW appearing on store shelves... (game system at least, the expansions sell out too fast to gather dust).

I don’t think there has been absolutely any hint or suggestion that this would be the last official release. In fact, Encarmine has said multiple times that 2023 is going to be a great/exciting year for HeroQuest fans. So get that horrid idea out of your head! ;-)
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby HispaZargon » January 4th, 2023, 4:41 pm

Nlinindoll wrote:
Kurgan wrote: I just hope this isn't the LAST official HeroQuest release. Then again if it were, it was a good run... we kept the flame alive for three decades, we can do it again!

I don’t think there has been absolutely any hint or suggestion that this would be the last official release. In fact, Encarmine has said multiple times that 2023 is going to be a great/exciting year for HeroQuest fans. So get that horrid idea out of your head! ;-)

Agree. I think fortunatelly, there is not any indicator by now to think the growth of current HQ brand is in risk.

I think HQ products are being widely sold, we can enjoy and relax :-)

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » January 5th, 2023, 1:12 am

Sometimes PR types will bluster even when there's no hope, but I don't think that's the case here. Since my post above, I've seen the tweet and various statements from Encarmine basically continuing the line we've been hearing all along, that they're planning to bring back all kinds of stuff from the past while creating the new stuff, so the brand is nowhere near dead.

I was just thinking IF they were looking for a stopping point, that would have been it, once the last NA release was re-made and shipped out. But that would be a great disappointment to a lot of fans (especially those outside North America!). I for one can't wait to see Dark Company, the marvel winter special and the campaign against Grimdead get made (you hear me, Hasbro???).

Yeah the day I dreamed would come ever since I heard about the "25th anniversary" has finally come with seeing and holding brand new HeroQuest boxes that I picked up off a store shelf in my home state. Now I want to see them piled high at my local retail store and not just the fancy game shop... but this is progress! |_P

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » January 18th, 2023, 11:56 am

It's finally officially been leaked (does that even make sense? no matter), that the Guardian Knight character returns (with a helmet, which I appreciate... the goal here seems to be to obscure the sex of the character allowing a single figure and you use your imagination) and the same stats, as the hero included inside the Rise of the Dread Moon expansion slated for release this year. The artwork hero card is posted at the link below (thanks Encarmine for the announcement and Elvyler for posting it in our HeroQuestFans discord!).

See here for more information since we are talking about a new expansion release now, not the previous Guardian Knight that is "sold out."

Speculation is that the skill cards will remain the same just with alternate artwork.

https://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=6267&p=123903#p123903

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » April 30th, 2023, 10:23 am

And now we know that officially "Rise of the Dread Moon" will be released (in several languages, implying several countries) July 15, 2023.

Other than the Guardian Knight hero card, one monster card and dread spell card (and a storyline connection to Mage of the Mirror), much about the rest of the expansion remains speculative at this point.

Edit: and now we know the rest! The Knight is simply an addon to ROTDM and doesn't really fit into it other than to the extent you want to use him. No special solo quests, unique artifacts or exclusive potions. He doesn't get extra copies of shortsword or shield (not that he needed those, they're identical to the game system ones anyway). Skills and stats are the same (just with altered artwork).
Last edited by Kurgan on April 15th, 2024, 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » April 15th, 2024, 9:30 am

I don't have a problem in general with the new heroes because even if you don't like them, their use isn't required for any official quest (we all know that Zargon can tweak the game to his liking anyway, but still, this is a major point).

However, ever since the Knight was first introduced, the fact that he's a "combat" type and has 7 body points, some have said he's "superior" to the Dwarf and removes any desire to use that one in favor of the Knight. I am here going to push back at the notion that somehow the existence of the Knight makes the Dwarf redundant, irrelevant or somehow gives him some unfair competition.

1) Nothing says that the Knight has to replace the Dwarf in the four heroes. Yes, the App suggests always using a group of 4 heroes (except for the 7 solo quests) and swapping any one out for any other. But you could just as easily have a Dwarf and Knight side by side. Besides, the Companion App, though official, is not the end all be all of rule clarifications (it gets quite a few things "wrong" or has odd ways of interpreting the official rules, due to limitations in the program and also apparently out of a desire by the developers to allow to a variety of rule interpretations and play styles though their primary goal was to allow the casual player who didn't want to play as Zargon or wanted to try the game out solo, could jump in without too much difficulty).

2) Yes, the Rogue pack suggests only using one copy of each character type at a time in a party (and the app doesn't allow it), but nothing actually stops you from using two knights in a group (we did this with some of the "solo" quests as bodyguards for the main hero). If you missed out on the Hero Collection and just have the Rise of the Dread Moon version (which would probably be most players) you only have the one Knight anyhow, but chances are you won't be using him until after the original 14 quests (not everyone of course, some will start right on one of the expansions or bring the special new hero back to the classic 14) which means he'll be "behind" compared to the other kitted out heroes (though the answer to this is you could always use your excess gold or spare gear to power him up without much effort).

3) Skills. This is the larger point... what perks does the Knight have? Two of his abilities require a Shield (which he starts with being worth 150 gold, meaning he has stronger defense for free). Shield block is single use and is used to protect another hero. Knight's Challenge doesn't require a shield but only applies to himself, one time, to let him come back from death with 1 BP, which is no different than if he had a 1 BP healing potion (like "warmth"). So a Dwarf with a potion of healing and a shield has the same perks here as the Dwarf, other than the shield block which doesn't help him but only an adjacent ally.

4) Perks. Here is where someone will really complain and say that the Knight is "better overall" than the Dwarf. Why? Because the Knight can wear plate armor with no movement penalty! But here's the thing, technically Borin's Armor does the same thing. To me this is where you imagine that the Knight is a secondary character from the main four and the Dwarf gets Borin's Armor, while the Knight can spend 850 gold coins to get plate and as nobody else will want it he can have it. Later on there's Elven Chainmail (originally intended for the Elf and so again in the 2023 remake although the 1992 version was for anyone but the Wizard). What does the Dwarf have? He can disarm traps without a toolkit, better than any hero with a toolkit. That's right to disarm he has a 1 in 6 chance of failing, while a tool-kitted hero (have to spend 250 gold) has 50% chance of failure.

5) Heroes are not actually in direct competition to one another. When it comes to HeroQuest, it's a group thing... a team sport. Many times when we were kids we each controlled more than one hero (not having exactly 5 people to play at the table every session). In the EU edition competition was possible (but ultimately to be discouraged in all but the first quest, since victory came easier through cooperation) but not so in the NA/Remake. So whether you're controlling the Knight AND some other hero(es) or if he's simply on your side, why worry if he killed more monsters or survived bigger hits than you did? In the end, he's probably going to share his gold with you (and you with him) to optimize the party anyway.

So I would say that the Knight may seem powerful but the usual complaints people have about heroes... that in competition with one another, one seems better than another, is just not all that. Eventually the classic heroes (minus the wizard) will be fully equipped with armor, weapons, artifacts, potions, and will start to feel much more similar to one another except how often they will have to heal or their odds at beating the rare Chaos/Dread Spell.

Now what about the Barbarian? Here again people complain and say why would I ever want to pick the Barbarian if the Knight is available? Well first of all he might not be available, someone else might have chosen the Knight from under you. Second, one might be available and the other not depending upon how Zargon set up the hero offerings at the start. Next what does the Barbarian have?

1) Starts with Broadsword (250 gold). Having 3 dice to attack instead of only 2 is a big deal. There are two early strategies in HQ to increase your survivability... one is to upgrade armor first, but we always upgraded weapons first. Kill the monsters quickly before they can start attacking. You have four heroes and its going to be awhile before you start facing enough monsters that this strategy will be less useful. So while the knight can defend himself better at first, the barbarian can take down monsters more quickly on average. Having one more body point and one less mind point isn't that big a deal, but then that was always the case of the Barbarian next to the Dwarf.

2) Barbarian has no skills or special perks. How boring! Well this is actually the attraction for a lot of players (especially beginners to HeroQuest) to the Barbarian. They LIKE the fact that he's "simple" to manage (at first), that he is simply good at what he does (surviving attacks and dishing out damage). He has the most to gain from healing and while he's the weakest against enemy magic, you don't face a lot of sorcerers in HQ in general (and not for awhile if you're starting from the beginning).

So I would say if you are afraid of using the Knight in your games, don't be. Every new hero raises eyebrows among players, usually saying they are "too powerful" and so the nerfs begin to be added, but then they are also said to be "too boring" over time, so they start adding buffs. But to me these addon heroes can still add value to the game (occasionally Zargon will have to compensate for the fact that a group quest may have assumed a certain classic hero was there instead of the new one), but they can also be used as NPCs, mercenaries, monsters, as a "fifth hero" or left out entirely if they aren't wanted. One place where the new heroes really shine I think is when a player is joining your table for a one-off event. There's no worry that ten quests down the line they are going to "feel boring" or something (you could make the same criticism of the other "combat" heroes as after awhile they all have the same equipment in theory).

As for the Knight being "better" than the Wizard I don't think anyone makes that argument, nor does anyone compare him unfavorably to the Elf. Both characters have much more variety in terms of how they pick their spells (after all, nothing says that the Elf HAS to have Earth, or even that he has to have Earth or Water). And thus the Elf and Wizard have more variety in terms of how they begin vs. most of the new heroes who have fixed abilities (Knight, Rogue with their skills; Warlock, Bard, and Druid with their spells). The Wizard has great limitations on his equipment but he also gets special artifacts nobody else can use.

Another point I didn't spend much time on (because the Dwarf and Wizard quest packs were never officially completed and released... yet) is that every one of the four heroes was going to get an artifact that boosted their BP maximum by 2 and their MP maximum by 1. The Elf and Barbarian were the only ones that officially got these. I suppose here people would start to wonder if maybe the new heroes would get the same bonus as well, so they all end up back where they started. But for now the Barbarian and the Elf have an "advantage" over the others in terms of their boosting, assuming they survive all those extra hard quests to get these bonuses!

Ultimately, would you mind too much if your party had a body point total of 24, 26, or 27 instead of 25? So the only complaint I have against the Knight is that he was an exclusive, that quickly was going for ridiculously inflated prices after he sold out in the first day (with only one small restock before he was sold out "forever"). I waited nearly six months to get mine, but I'm thankful that now anybody can get this character (albeit in cosmetically altered form) within another retail expansion (and he's been available in the App for a long time now, which got extended to December 2026 by the way).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous