• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

THE SPIRIT QUEEN'S TORMENT discussion

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: THE SPIRIT QUEEN'S TORMENT discussion

Postby Kurgan » July 25th, 2023, 11:12 am

Yeah funny that I still haven't played any of the Mythic quests yet. I guess knowing that Frozen Horror was coming out and diving into that ahead of time (and then realizing it was the longest HeroQuest campaign ever officially released) kind of took up all our time.

I can imagine they will fix the typos that were present in the haslab version, and they will include the Artifact and Equipment (Alchemist Shop) cards included in the quest book along with the book itself. Other than that, I would expect to find the Bard (or a re-sculpt at least) along with his hero card, Rapier equipment card, and three spells.

The only other plastic would be the entrance and exit doors since this expansion uses those (identical to the ones in KK/ROTWL). As for anything else, that is up to Avalon Hill. If this is the "smaller box" used in KK/ROTWL they would still have plenty of room to "fill" it with whatever they wanted.

This would be a golden opportunity, along with Prophecy of Telor retail release, to give us those "stretch goal" extra minis from the Haslab campaign, again even if they are just re-poses or slight tweaks (much like the Guardian Knight was in Rise of the Dread Moon). They could put the Green monsters in this one and maybe the White monsters in Baker's box. And if we got Crypt of Perpetual Darkness, they could put the Gray monsters in that one. It would seem fitting anyway.

What does everyone else think? We know it is coming out this year, which would mean within 5 months. I wouldn't be surprised if both this and POT are finalized as far as contents and materials are concerned, so hopefully they are well received. Regardless of the actual quality of these I would expect them to be slightly improved from what came in the Mythic box at the very least, and the point is that so many fans WANTED this content but didn't have a chance to get it and now won't have to pay scalper prices, which is a great thing (and kudos to Avalon Hill for swinging that with their bosses at Hasbro)! Collectors won't lose out on any of this because they still have their 2021 version, warts and all, whatever they happened to pay for it.

I don't have a problem with "good guy monsters" and as I've said before, I loved monsters as a kid, so I would have jumped on any excuse like that. As to whether the big dumb evil army of lunks we love to hate are suddenly just poor misunderstoods, yeah I know that tarnishes some people's memories. You can always gloss over that part of the story. I prefer the headcanon that a few of the orcs were "reformed" as opposed to the Warcraft storyline where they were simply corrupted late in their history. Even Tolkien imagined that some of the Orcs towards the end of the War of the Ring were getting fed up with being used as cannon fodder by the Dark Lord and his wicked minions (doesn't make them "heroes" necessarily, but perhaps not irredeemably evil either). And not all Orcs are dumb either, we've had Orc bosses who even learn magic way back in the original game system, remember. I anticipated these criticisms as I was reading through the quest book when my copy finally arrived on that amazing day now years ago (time flies!) but I was reassured that most of the Orcs we'd encounter were still the same old nasty lunkhead villains we always appreciated these past three decades. |_P

As silly as I still think the Orc Bard is (as many others have pointed out, he much more fits as an individual player's custom hero or a comic relief addition, or an NPC than an archetype hero), I have no doubt that he's pretty much what we'll be getting in this retail release, because like Rise of the Dread Moon's variant of the Guardian Knight, the whole point of these is to give people who missed the exclusives to finally get a piece of that action. So I would not anticipate much, if any, change to him this time. Maybe if he was holding his sword in a swashbuckling pose instead of bursting forth in song he'd be cooler? It's very easy to re-imagine him as an Orcish Pirate...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Vorimir » July 26th, 2023, 8:46 am

This one is the expansion I'm least interested in. Doesnt seems to Heroquest for me. Or at least too " Old school Heroquest". Too disconnected, good orcs (and that orc bars, yikies...). In the end Ill end buying it probably but will be sent and the end of the playing line to be played with a secondary group of heroes.
Vorimir

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby LucaRocks » July 31st, 2023, 6:57 am

Vorimir wrote:This one is the expansion I'm least interested in. Doesnt seems to Heroquest for me. Or at least too " Old school Heroquest". Too disconnected, good orcs (and that orc bars, yikies...). In the end Ill end buying it probably but will be sent and the end of the playing line to be played with a secondary group of heroes.

I'm totally with you on all points. These quests just seem a bit off. Maybe their main focus was to address the "non-troversy" of Orcs being depicted as bad all the time instead of just trying to make a good quest book overall.

Part of me thinks they will remix the quest book for the re-release but the rest of me thinks that Hasbro would tell them to go for the straight re-release to save money. If they do a remix of some kind, I will definitely give it a fresh look. Especially if the remix includes some new monsters, or I should say, monsters that they already have molds for but were not used in the original SQT quests. Would be cool to just throw in Ogres or Polar Warbears to liven things up a bit lol
LucaRocks

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » August 3rd, 2023, 11:36 am

I was kinda lost at the Drowned Temple, or at least the underwater part of it... it wasn't a difficult quest, just wasn't sure of how to handle fire spells under water. They didn't really need to use them, I don't think any heroes took mind point damage as there aren't that many monsters; but the quest after when they return to the surface, the Wizard took quite a bit of damage, luckily mind points were taken. The Barbarian took 1 damage but he had the Talisman of Lore, so it wasn't THAT dire.

I didn't really care for the storyline of orcs flooding a temple to protect secrets from Zargon, it totally changes the image of Orc's portrayed in previous quests.

Again, I'm doing this quest with a Barbarian, Bard, Rogue and Wizard, so not having armor is a bit of a hindrance to the majority of the crew, they haven't even acquired enough gold to get bracers.

Also there was a weapons wrack where the heroes found a Hand-Axe, Spear and Fortune's Longsword... Looking among the equipment cards I could not find a spear, ONLY the Dragon Spear. Was there a spear part of the equipment deck? I couldn't find a card for it.

Whomever put this quest pack together was A D&D fan and didn't distinguish the difference from Hero Quest.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » August 3rd, 2023, 11:43 am

wallydubbs wrote:Also there was a weapons wrack where the heroes found a Hand-Axe, Spear and Fortune's Longsword... Looking among the equipment cards I could not find a spear, ONLY the Dragon Spear. Was there a spear part of the equipment deck? I couldn't find a card for it.

No official card exists for the Spear in the Gane System box so not explaining its rules in the SQT questbook is a mistake. Nevertheless, a solution is proposed in the errata thread which I encourage you to check.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » August 3rd, 2023, 10:48 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Also there was a weapons wrack where the heroes found a Hand-Axe, Spear and Fortune's Longsword... Looking among the equipment cards I could not find a spear, ONLY the Dragon Spear. Was there a spear part of the equipment deck? I couldn't find a card for it.

Whomever put this quest pack together was A D&D fan and didn't distinguish the difference from Hero Quest.

"The Spear" was included in the original UK edition, but was never brought across to the US edition (and subsequently the AH re-release).
Bradley Boruch / Maalicia Ironhoof (Previously Cyber333)
Fixing Avalon Hill's Rules and Quest Books by Maalicia Ironhoof
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby wallydubbs » August 6th, 2023, 4:38 pm

Maalicia_Ironhoof wrote:

"The Spear" was included in the original UK edition, but was never brought across to the US edition (and subsequently the AH re-release).

So I figured it's 2AD, may attack diagonal and can also be thrown?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby LucaRocks » August 10th, 2023, 1:01 pm

Fortunes longsword allows for 1 reroll of an attack right? Not just 1 dice as the card says?
LucaRocks

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:

Postby SirRick » August 10th, 2023, 2:29 pm

LucaRocks wrote:Fortunes longsword allows for 1 reroll of an attack right? Not just 1 dice as the card says?

The card I have from the haslab set says just 1 attack die, which is a pretty crappy ability since its only once per quest. So far the only real value of this weapon is it is a magic longsword that works on ethereal creatures that can’t get rusted. If the newer sets updated the card with a different (and better ability), or if there was some ruling, I am not aware of it.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby LucaRocks » August 10th, 2023, 2:56 pm

No, all the cards I've seen say 1 attack die. But I see people assuming it's a complete reroll.

I think I may play it as a complete reroll just to keep things simple. It is only once per quest after all.
LucaRocks

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items