• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Postby SirRick » January 31st, 2022, 7:31 pm

Well the Bard's card specifically mentions using a shield goes against his extra defend die power, so it doesn't really matter.

For the Druid, it's up to interpretation, but I think the druid is supposed to be able to use it. Shields can be wood or metal. I think it doesn't really matter in that case since she can use metal weapons so why not a metal shield? I feel the metal armor refers to the helmet, chain mail, and plate mail, since its metal stuff you wear on your body.

Everyone's interpretation is different however. I just wish Hasbro had some clarifications with the new heroes just so everyone is on the same page.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » January 31st, 2022, 7:41 pm

Pretty much all shields would have some metal parts in them, but would mostly have been made of wood and leather (hides, etc) based on the medieval setting. Of course what counts... I mean would we say the character couldn't wear a cloak if it had a metal clasp, or if pins or metal buckles were used to hold their clothing together? Are they actually allergic to metal or is it just too heavy for their build? Then again I guess we can't think too hard about it, because a lot of the limitations in HeroQuest don't actually make sense (unless you invent some magical excuse), even in the context of fantasy. They're designed that way on purpose for purposes of balance and gameplay variety.... to the advantage or dismay of the player choosing them!
Last edited by Kurgan on April 26th, 2022, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 20th, 2022, 1:43 pm

Someone has finally done it.. a classic version of this new hero... whether we want him or not!

Here on Thingiverse

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby KentKaliber » April 26th, 2022, 5:03 am

THIS has me confused:

"You prefer to stay light on your feet so when you are wearing non-metallic armor and carrying no shield you have 1 extra Defend die."

So when you START the Game with the Bard, do you roll 2 Defend Dice or 3 Defend Dice?
KentKaliber

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Sotiris » April 26th, 2022, 6:29 am

KentKaliber wrote:So when you START the Game with the Bard, do you roll 2 Defend Dice or 3 Defend Dice?

3 dice. Two from basic defense plus one from the ability.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 26th, 2022, 11:04 am

Sotiris wrote:
KentKaliber wrote:So when you START the Game with the Bard, do you roll 2 Defend Dice or 3 Defend Dice?

3 dice. Two from basic defense plus one from the ability.

Incorrect, since he doesn't start with any armor.

The bonus occurs if he ADDS the Bracers (the only non-metallic body armor in this version of the game other than Wizard's Cloak artifact which only the Warlock or Wizard can wear) but doesn't also carry a shield... THEN he gets 4 (base defense = 2, + 1 for the bracers + 1 for the bonus).

The bonus means he saves the 125 gold that he would otherwise have to spend on a shield and could potentially get the defense while wielding a two handed weapon (Staff or Battle Axe which can't be combined with a shield).

It's a little confusing the way they worded it, but that seems to be the intention.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » April 26th, 2022, 11:27 am

Inn member Camous also provided an explanation about Bard's armour rule in this post from the errata thread.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby KentKaliber » April 27th, 2022, 2:53 am

THANK YOU for this ---- I tell you some of the new Characters and New Quest Books have really CONFUSING / VAGUE wording!!
KentKaliber

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » April 27th, 2022, 12:18 pm

The Druid is a bit confusing too, the clarified card seemed to just make sure people weren't buffing their long range attack but it ended up implying some other things they probably didn't intend.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » December 7th, 2022, 2:16 pm

SirRick wrote:Well the Bard's card specifically mentions using a shield goes against his extra defend die power, so it doesn't really matter.

For the Druid, it's up to interpretation, but I think the druid is supposed to be able to use it. Shields can be wood or metal. I think it doesn't really matter in that case since she can use metal weapons so why not a metal shield? I feel the metal armor refers to the helmet, chain mail, and plate mail, since its metal stuff you wear on your body.

Everyone's interpretation is different however. I just wish Hasbro had some clarifications with the new heroes just so everyone is on the same page.

Kurgan wrote:Pretty much all shields would have some metal parts in them, but would mostly have been made of wood and leather (hides, etc) based on the medieval setting. Of course what counts... I mean would we say the character couldn't wear a cloak if it had a metal clasp, or if pins or metal buckles were used to hold their clothing together? Are they actually allergic to metal or is it just too heavy for their build? Then again I guess we can't think too hard about it, because a lot of the limitations in HeroQuest don't actually make sense (unless you invent some magical excuse), even in the context of fantasy. They're designed that way on purpose for purposes of balance and gameplay variety.... to the advantage or dismay of the player choosing them!

About the Shield material, official Zargon twitter account fortunately confirmed on 15/Apr/2022 that it is made of WOOD so may not be affected by Rust Spell (more info in this post).

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items