• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Postby Kurgan » November 6th, 2023, 7:36 pm

wallydubbs wrote:Unless you choose to give him a Battle Axe... Which I think would be weird for a Bard.

When you consider the synonym for an awesome guitar, it seems pretty fitting! |_P

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby wallydubbs » November 8th, 2023, 2:12 pm

Lol, add strings from the Axe to the hilt and use it as both. Funny, it would make a bewildering artifact.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cornixt » November 8th, 2023, 2:37 pm

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 9th, 2023, 12:14 am

... Jesus

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » November 19th, 2023, 2:54 pm

Thanks to Methos on HeroQuestFans Discord for pointing me to this image I hadn't seen before (it was an exclusive of Comicbook.com's coverage of the Haslab campaign for HeroQuest)... (compare to the archived version of the Haslab campaign showing a later playtest image we're all more familiar with)This shows the original intention for the Bard and helps make sense of their current clarification that the Bard's bonus defense was meant to exclude a helmet AND that he'd get the bonus right away rather than only after adding Bracers...

(See here for the image corresponding to the Druid playtest)

Compare: (top newer, bottom older)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on November 21st, 2023, 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby SirRick » November 20th, 2023, 8:15 pm

That is probably why the Bard’s base defend dice is 2 and not 3. Because the extra defense is conditional, and to not confuse people if they decided to give their Bard full equipment (armor, shield, and helmet). That is why I value comparisons between different editions, as well as prototype images, design notes, etc., things like the above image can really clarify the intent of the final version.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » November 21st, 2023, 12:26 pm

Quite true, after all the Bard is bundled with Spirit Queen's Torment expansion pack and according to those rules the first hero to die (I presume when he has no death save) is taken over by the Bard, and that means he might inherit some armor from the previous hero... but his stats will be affected differently whether he chooses to put it all on or not.

If he's a beginner hero starting out, it affects his choices on what he is saving for at the Armory.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » November 21st, 2023, 4:39 pm

KentKaliber wrote:THIS has me confused:

"You prefer to stay light on your feet so when you are wearing non-metallic armor and carrying no shield you have 1 extra Defend die."

So when you START the Game with the Bard, do you roll 2 Defend Dice or 3 Defend Dice?

Originally I thought the extra defence dice was just without wearing metal armor, but when you delve deeper into the wording it seems like you get it when you buy non-metal armor... Despite the wording it seems rather dumb and I'd play it adhering to my original thought.
Why else would it tell you he's "light on his feet" if that extra defence doesn't come until you buy the Bracers?
It also seems counter-intuitive, why hold off to pay 550 (Bracers) gold to get 2 defense dice when you can pay 275 gold (125 for Helmet + 150 for Shield) for 2 Defence Dice?
Even if you're working towards a Battle Axe or Crossbow, these items could come later; because with only 5 BP, the sooner you get that 3rd defence dice the better! I wouldn't mind building up the character progressively buying a helmet, shield and finally Chainmail unless I realized buying 1 form of armor would leave me where i started.

I realize if you settle for a longsword and shield you can build up to 5 Defense Dice; Battle Axe or Crossbow you can only have 4 Defence Dice (unless Plate Mail), and this depends on whomever plays the character. So starting off with 3 Defense Dice seems more logical and advantageous.

My fiance isn't an experienced player, but I had her read the card just to get her original opinion on it. She first said base defence 2, but you get an extra one if you don't buy a helmet or shield. I had to point out to here that Bracers were a thing to change her mind based on what the card says. But upon going over the prices and options for the Bard, it doesn't make much sense that you're need to buy Bracers to get that extra defence. I understand how it's written can be confusing, but I really don't think that's the way it was meant...

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Nlinindoll » November 21st, 2023, 5:33 pm

The Avalon Hill team has clarified this on Discord. The Bard should start with the +1 defense die even without any armor. See the screen cap of confirmation here: https://imgur.com/a/tJbm9Hz
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » November 22nd, 2023, 1:45 pm

Correct. Doug Hopkins himself clarified it... the Bard should get the defense bonus from the get go (and doesn't lose it by putting on bracers).

The "light on his feet" thing is pure character flavor lore, because the only armor that slows any hero down is Plate Mail (or Cold Iron Plate).

No version of the card actually reflects their intention behind the character. The earlier version says NO armor (bracers and helmets are armor). The newer version made it seem the bonus came from putting on Bracers (the only "non-metal armor" in the game now, since shields are also excluded). But now we know their intention, and as I've said elsewhere and before, I'm more inclined to accept the intention from the original designer of the character's mechanic than something in thirty years hindsight made by someone else. I've played it both ways before, but I'm fine playing it this way from here on, as I have no problem with the idea within the game's logic (using historical realism, you'd probably agree none of the armor should really slow down any hero and even the Wizard should have no issues wearing it).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous