• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Lurchbrick's HeroQuest module for VASSAL

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

Lurchbrick's HeroQuest module for VASSAL

Postby drathe » August 28th, 2011, 2:00 am

I had the opportunity to play HeroQuest online using Lurchbrick's HeroQuest module for the VASSAL engine. It's a great bit of fun and an excellent way for friends who are too far away to play at the table to do some questing. There's a simple readme with the module, which I suggest you read. It's short and describes the various buttons and options. You can play with 2 to 5 people. One as Morcar/Zargon, who can control all the module's options. Most important of which is setting up the board. This can be done in advance (and saved) with all elements invisible to the players until revealed. I suggest you set things up in advance whenever you can as it speeds the actual game along.

Hero players can move their figures around the board. In doing so, you make a trail. This allows the Morcar player to know where you've stepped should traps need to be sprung. This is not a PC game in the traditional sense. There is no AI to control things at any point. It's meant to be as close to actually playing the game on a table as possible, but online so people all around the world can play together. There's a build in chat feature and important information is also recorded there, such as dice rolls, spell castings and potion uses. Anyone looking to play some HeroQuest, but can't find anyone locally should hook up with friends online, download the VASSAL engine and the HeroQuest module and get gaming. It's get fun! :D

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Lurchbrick's HeroQuest module for VASSAL

Postby Sjeng » August 28th, 2011, 4:16 am

Can you post screenshots?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » August 29th, 2011, 8:27 am

:O very cool!... I'll try it today for sure... VERY good idea!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby AerynB » August 29th, 2011, 9:44 pm

I second the recommendation. It's a very cool way to play HQ with far away friends online. drathe summed it up really well. Anything you can do in the actual board game can be done in the module, from traps to potions, to custom monster stats and special treasures. I really like the chat feature, too, so Zargon/Morcar and the Heroes can trash talk! :lol: I'm so glad I downloaded this program and gave it try. Way to go, Lurchbrick!! |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby LurchBrick » August 30th, 2011, 8:19 am

Glad you guys liked it.

As a special present, I've completed version 0.8! This version introduces a more streamlined interface and now includes all the Ogre Horde miniatures.

http://members.westnet.com.au/brick27/heroquest08.zip

I'm currently working on including the Barbarian pack for the next version.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
LurchBrick

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby AerynB » August 30th, 2011, 8:26 am

Warbears and Yeti and Ice Gremlins, oh my!!
Wow! Thanks, lurch. :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Princess
AerynB
Resident Editor

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » September 2nd, 2011, 10:05 am

It would be cool to have load files that setup the board for the particular quest immediately...how could that be done? (Since I haven't looked at the program yet...)
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » September 2nd, 2011, 2:53 pm

Begin a new game as Zargon/Morcar, create your board and save it. (be sure to make everything except the items in the starting area invisible). Once you begin a game with players, they can sync to you and see your game.

Note: Boards created in v7 will not load in v8. I'm not sure if this will continue with every update. Be sure to use the latest version.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby LurchBrick » September 2nd, 2011, 8:17 pm

I'm trying to keep backwards compatibility in the different versions. You can still load games made in 0.7 in 0.8 but you would have to replace all the miniatures on the board as they are one of the main things that have changed between versions.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
LurchBrick

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » September 9th, 2011, 5:26 pm

Can you upload the *.vsav of the original quests in the forum?

question: how can I add in VASSAL the marks A, B, C, etc? If it is the "question mark" item, is it possible to make it invisible?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Other Expansion Topics