• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My Dream: If I remade HeroQuest itself

Discuss other HeroQuest expansion topics that do not fit into the above categories.

My Dream: If I remade HeroQuest itself

Postby Kurgan » April 26th, 2021, 12:42 pm

If I were truly remaking HeroQuest, if I had the authority to do that, there are a few things I would do, but I would keep the game VERY MUCH the same as the NA version released in 1990.

1) Use "hard polymer" for the miniatures. They would still be plastic and solid color, but they would sculpted out of a less breakable material similar to the Reaper bones (or Reaper Bones Black) miniatures. Not sure if this would eliminate the possibility of having "partially poseable" miniatures like we had in the old days (Gargoyle can turn his head or remove wings, Ogres can move their arms and heads, etc). If that "feature" can be retained, then go for it. Maybe with ball and socket joints? (use glue if you don't like it)

2) Use Quad fold board (Easier to store), with some kind of sealer on the "bare edges" for protection of course. As for making the squares bigger, it's not necessary to make them 1 inch, but at least 24mm to better fit the bases.

3) Dice can be wood, but they would have a clear coat of varnish to protect the ink on the images from wearing away. Inscribed plastic dice would be fine though, keeping the same overall style and colors. Some people say there should be more dice, but opinions vary. Should each person have their own dice, or just an extra set for Zargon? I don't mind passing dice (in pre-covid days), and you can use the cardboard trays (or plastic forms if your set came with them) for makeshift dice rolling boxes.

4) Equipment Deck would be included alongside the Armory board, with explanation that the number of cards don't limit the availability of equipment pieces. Include cards for Bracers, Spear, and Hand Axe. Cloak of Protection is a question... should there be a generic, buyable cloak that's equally strong to the Wizard's Cloak? I would be inclined to just leave it out of the NA set for this purpose. If it's a generic, more expensive piece of armor that ANY Hero can wear (but especially useful for the Wizard before finding the artifact) I could justify it. Wearing a cloak instead of other piece of armor helps a person with "pits of darkness" traps but these don't exist in these expansions yet.

5) Potions (could alternately be called "Alchemist Shop") deck. Even though it is small, having a card for each Potion for the two expansions would be neat. And yes, that means duplicates of the Treasure deck potions would appear here too. This doesn't limit potion availability. And still have a page in the quest books for the Alchemist Shops.

6) KK & ROTWL AND Dark Company included. Making room in the box with the quad board and the extra miniatures and such can fit in there. The new tiles would have the same quality (thickness, double sided where possible or just black finish on the reverse side or maybe a little icon on back signifying it is part of the expansion) as the GS tiles. New Artifact cards would be the same size and quality of the other Artifact cards.

7) Quest book would have a nice finished color cover (not just paper). Same with instruction manual.

8) Forms inside the box to store miniatures better, if space allows. And sturdier box, period. It's possible to make very sturdy cardboard boxes.

9) Body point counter for "big" monsters. Yes, not many of them in the first two expansions, but will help out later! But still keep the Skull tiles for nostalgia's sake or those 2 BP monsters.

10) Mercenary token/chits for each Hero (so you can more easily track who has what).

11) Search token/chits to more easily track who has searched what room for what, whether for use by Zargon or the Heroes.

12) Sturdier GM screen for Zargon (the classic one is great but starts to fall over as those cardboard tabs' creases get worn).

13) Include unique EU treasure cards in the Treasure deck, specially marked on the face side in case the GM wants to exclude them.

14) In the back of the rule book, include the 2nd Edition EU rules. Yes, both sets of rules in 1 book. Sort of like how back in the day electronics came with an instruction booklet that had it in four languages or whatever. ;)

15) Clarify a few rules (insert here the stuff we debate about on the forums). Remove the "search for secret doors inside a pit" confusion.

16) Re-release ATOH, WOM, EQP and BQP. This would be the harder part, because it means a balanced version (an error corrected version of Phoenix) but especially solving the issues with EQP/BQP. Perhaps the two EU expansions could be combined and the two NA expansions could be combined so there's only two more boxes to buy. Give the new bad guys in the EU expansions their own monster cards. Add another body point counter (very useful for the NA expansions!). Re-scale the EQP/BQP miniatures to more closely resemble the proportions of the GS minis, otherwise they are fine.

17) Plastic coat the cards. I don't mean 100% plastic, but more "smooth" than they are now.

18) New Heroes. Add the Legacy of Sorasil extra Heroes. Male and female versions of all 8 extra Heroes with their own character boards. Maybe this would require its own set, as their could be new spell/skill cards to go along.

19) Release it to retail stores, and make it available in every country that originally sold HQ. This wouldn't be a one and done limited edition, but like a regular game out there for the masses.

20) Slightly larger character sheet, that includes the coat of arms thing for doodles, but all the other material from the NA and ADK character sheets. Tasks completed to include not just the 14 quests but quest pack quests as well.

20) Insert advert for an app (works with or without smart phone) that lets you subscribe and see everything. But if you pay a fee, you can download other people's quests and contribute your own (maybe free trial lets you do this too, but otherwise you can just view them, so you'd have to have it pulled up to play). Contents and giveaways for user contributed content, top quests, etc. Get the community involved. The app would also have an easy to use point and click Quest creator, similar to HeroScribe with the improvements we'd all like to see. But still include the blank map and symbols in the quest book like the classic version. Printable blanks on the web page too.

21) include those little pencils.

22) Include a little flier about painting your own miniatures (maybe post beginner paint guides on the website/app).

23) For furniture it's tempting to say "all plastic" but now the furniture will lack color, whereas before at least the cardboard portions had color to them. Maybe a basic paintjob on all plastic furniture? And I like the idea of pegs for removable parts (bottles, candlesticks, rats, skulls). When the pieces are polymer they're a lot more sturdy than before. If any extra would be included I would say there should be 1 extra treasure chest.

24) Doors that open (putting a little hinge on the doorway is a cool idea even if the door itself is too small to "really" allow a figure to pass through on its own without turning it into a huge, multi-square archway. Similar to the Zombicide black plague doors, but made out of polymer that's slightly flexible (instead of hard plastic that will show stress marks with too much use, bend and break). There would be 23 doors (the standard 21, plus two "special" doors for the iron and wood from KK/ROTWL).

25) For the collectors, release a "deluxe" edition that has metal miniatures (each primed in the same colors as the plastic editions, silver underneath), fancy dice (two sets, one for zargon with black/red and one for the heroes and translucent movement dice with gold chrome pips), maybe a velvet dice rolling box/casket, hologram foil cards? Maybe the board would be made out of several wood panels, with velvet on the edges, but the actual board image would be a matte finished laminated wood kind of thing, almost like you were playing on a picture frame, with the four sides connecting together, then fold back together for storage). What would the overall box be made out of? Maybe some kind of self contained chest made out of sturdy material, perhaps wood? Wood GM screen with hinges? Character boards made of laminated wood. And of course some kind of soft insert form to put the miniatures in. No resin 3d dungeon, sorry.

That's about all I can think of. This way it's not imposing a lot of homebrew stuff, and its giving the player the "best" of both worlds.

The only other issue would be if both sets of rules are included, the Spell and Equipment card text doesn't change. So you'd really need an alternate set of cards for that. So I guess there is still a need for localization there, but the dual rule book can still be included to show you what's what.

So re-release the Japanese version too (and finally give them the expansions... now THAT would be a lot of work). ;) I'd give the Brazil players 3d monsters, and put the cardboard minis on the website for nostalgia purposes.

My dream for a remake like this would never happen until such time (if any) that Hasbro and Gamesworkshop were back working together again like the old days. Then they could include Warhammer-esque world maps, Chaos Warriors and Fimirs, classic artwork, etc.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: My Dream: If I remade HeroQuest itself

Postby Kurgan » April 26th, 2021, 12:57 pm

The limited "collector's edition" would take cues from this luxury product for Monopoly some years back... and Yahtzee.
If you made it a whole table, you could include little drawers and caddies I suppose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Davane » April 26th, 2021, 2:20 pm

May I recommend reading through my RandoQuest thread? I just finished off the rulebooks (although I haven't compiled everything together into a single document yet).

I kind of like your idea of remaking a "collectors edition" of HeroQuest, and there's a lot of crossover between that and RandoQuest.

Maybe we could combine talents with other members of Ye Olde Inn, and create a special Ye Olde Inn version of HQ (and maybe even RandoQuest) where you just need to send the files to reliable companies for creating to get your own copy, designed as a passion project.

It needs to be aesthetically different enough to be obvious that it's NOT an official copy of HQ, so the scalpers can't just pretend it is and flog it on Ebay or wherever...
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby lestodante » April 26th, 2021, 3:13 pm

I don't think I need all the stuff you've listed above, except for the extra Heroes.
I've always played the Eur version but appreciated some implementation from the US version too.
I would just be happy with extra heroes and small questpacks with extra content published occasionally, like new cards, new miniatures, new tiles, new furnitures. something you can also buy in the newspaper shop!
Improved rules or addendum to clarify certain situations would be also interesting like it happened with White Dwarf releases.
A bigger board with bigger squares also and additional mini-board to attach to the standard board to create new areas to be explored.
"Compatible" cards of the same size and format (I prefer the Eur version), including the ones from ATOH, KK and ROTWL, Chaos Spells and more cards in general to increase the game experience.
Playtested questpack are also strongly recommended!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 26th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Yeah I'm thinking less of a revision/evolution of the rules and just a reprint of the old stuff, just with better materials and introducing the classic material to markets that didn't formerly have it (so NA packs for EU and EU packs for NA).

The new heroes is the main real addition...

So in the UK, players would get their reprint with the NA extras tossed in. In the US, players would get their reprint with the EU stuff tossed in.

It's a dream, I can put whatever I want in it. As you can see I don't think there's much wrong with the game as is... even if somehow the old game could just be flat out reprinted and re-released, that would be amazing!

Now this would be a real project... converting the various expansions to the Japanese edition. Not just translating the text, but adapting the rules to the "roll to level up" system established in 1991.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » April 30th, 2021, 1:08 am

If I had the power to re-release and/or change everything however I wanted … and this would mean cooperation from GW, access to EU and US versions and the original materials to make them, etc.

For the rules, I'd start with the NA form as objectively "more complete" (the fact that all monsters have 1BP for example was not originally intended even in the EU version) and I would rewrite them without changing them wherever possible for a modern audience. What major contentions people have about the HQ rules in general largely stem from the repetition and verbosity Davane carefully described in his RandoQuest thread.

Consider:

My revision wrote:A hero's turn consists of a movement phase and an action phase. Players may perform these in any order, but may not combine them. A free action, such as opening a door, can be taken during either phase.

How clear is this and how much of ANY edition's rule book have I written? Since 1991, the terms phase and free action have entered the gaming lexicon and are not ambiguous, to the point that "may not combine them" is superfluous language only there for noobs. It makes the rules shorter and approachable to new players, which is the only major reason I see to revise them at all.

Explicitly as a nod to fans of the original games, rules for NA and 2E EU in page-format PDF (for use on tablets or laptops because it's 2021) along with a quick note about how to print them in booklet format if you want to do that. Don't care if it's a modern recreation ala Phoenix because they don't have the original typesetting files or can't convert them. It's gotta feel the same.

The modern rules would be short and to the point, totally separate from the flavor text to the greatest degree reasonable, because they're about the mechanics and stuff you've gotta learn, regardless of how it's presented. Keep it simple and direct. Save the flavor for the box, the quest book, etc. Speaking of the quest book: Premium collector's edition option: Quest book with hard binding with that nifty effect that mixes matte/satin and gloss to look like the artifact book.

Art book would also be a nice collector's edition inclusion.

I'm debating regarding the screen because the shape of the classic HQ screen is somewhat iconic. It's also a terrible design once the chipboard begins to age, and was never all that sturdy to begin with. Keep the slant or don't? I dunno. If the slant goes away, it'll be a lot less likely to fall over. Having it be three pieces of chipboard with finished edges, fabric tape joints, and artwork printed WOULD give the thing a premium feel and a lot more longevity, too. My gut says premium component that will last a long time over the iconic appearance of the original.

The board … Larger. Probably 25mm squares, quad-fold. For the cost of the game (I expect $99 or $129 for the base game because 2021 not 1991), don't cheap out on the components. A lot of games have been upping their component game because of the competition. Not 3D or anything. If anything I'd actually minimize the board's unused area because the size doesn't have to conform to anything.

Premium collector's edition game should not come with a board. Neoprene playmat.

Bits … I'd keep these chipboard, honestly. A collector's edition could replace them with plastic bits for pit tiles, rocks, and blocks … but it's hard to argue with chipboard's versatility, double-sidedness, cost, etc.

Cards … MTG. Hasbro makes them and they're decent quality. That's what I want to see here.

Character sheet pad … NA type. I actually prefer some of the other designs like the ADK version or Sjeng's whole party sheet, and I can't actually use any of them myself actually … but people seem to agree that the NA character sheet is a good design. Let's run with it. Oh, and let's plan to sell extras, shall we? Or at least a 4 per page sheet PDF on the website. Oh and do that one in US letter and A4 please. It's supposed to be not hard to get A4 paper in the US … but it's harder than you think, and US Letter outside of North America is LOL.

Artwork … I don't know. Artwork routinely gets updated and refreshed in games. I would not unless I were arranging to have a "classic edition" released maybe with the NA rule book even and the original artwork. But look at Space Hulk's 1st edition vs. say 2013. The 3rd/4th editions look great!

The problem is that new artwork is easy to mess up. I like the other components, but the board for WHQ Cursed City (because they'll put the WHQ name on just about anything and then immediately stop making it) … I dunno. Feels too digital for old world? If you were a DCAU fan in the 90s, the artwork of Batman: The Animated Series was great, and amazingly totally analog (which means there are artifacts.) The later series The Batman was aimed at a younger audience and they managed to make it look in my opinion ridiculous. I don't know anyone from the target age group who admits to ever liking it more than other versions even at the time.

Basically, I'd be afraid of The Batmaning the art. Let's leave that for Hasbro. ;) (I'm not sure if they have or not—a lot of vocal HQ fans have had complaints about every aspect of the remake, including the artwork, and I think that comes down to people weren't going to be happy unless the 1991 NA version was re-released as it was, and even then they wouldn't be happy.)

That does it for the stuff I think would not be controversial.

Doors. Plastic. Bendable polymer, actually, which means they'll wind up bent, but they'll also be easy to un-bend with a bit of hot water. Not controversial except for the next paragraph. Separate open and closed doors because any kind of hinges on these things ALWAYS break. Bases kinda like the original, which means sturdy enough but hollow. Collector's edition: Solid/weighted. If you want to do that to your standard edition, you can, as now, but it's a mod to the game pieces.

The rest of the furniture… I'd keep it a mix of cardstock and plastic except in the collector's edition. That gives it character and flavor without paint (while the doors would wind up being gray plastic or a mix of gray for open and brown for closed doors, and I don't like mixing the color like that), but you'd still have the plastic bits (or the collector's edition which would have all plastic bits) to paint however you like. I'd put bottoms on the bookcases/cupboards, though. Those tend to get mangled in ways the alchemist's bench, rack, and sorcerer's table do not. Maybe a couple more pieces than the original so the book would maybe be the white color of the skulls, etc, like was done with the bottles. Painting would not be required, but it'd look nice if you did. Assembly instructions should describe press fit, but suggest glue as an option if you want it, particularly after painting. I'd seal the edges of the cardboard so that assembly is less likely to damage the parts.

Minis … I'd be tempted to use round bases because it makes adding minis from elsewhere easy, makes hollow bases a thing, creates the possibility of adding magnets to the figures, etc. But no, HQ's rectangular bases are kind of iconic. I'd use the EU style. And the minis on them would be polymer, like the doors, in multiple colors like the original game. Sorry, I know they're a little harder to paint, but they tend not to wind up with broken weapons and the like. Kurgan's right, it's the best way to do it. Oh, and yes, there would be male and female heroes in the box. If you wanna play the barbarian chick, wearing nothing but a couple of strategically placed bits of animal fur showing off the feminie mus-cu-larity legitimately needed to swing a large sword with purpose for a living, you play the half-naked barbarian chick and have a great time doing it! Ain't inclusivity great? :D

Insert "NOOOO!" lady meme here.

I'd use old-school GW sculpts for these for sure if I wasn't otherwise updating the art style. If I was, my preference is for greenskins to not have quite man-shaped proportions, and so that would be reflected in my mini designs. The HQ orc quest book icon always looked a a little … not bright to me. I'm fond of the guy, I've named him Steve. He's an ugly brute and he's as likely to bludgeon/hack the life out of you and then eat you as he is to offer you a drink, but he's not all bad once you get to know him. |_P But we've discussed orcs at length recently elsewhere. :D

I would NOT put the expansions in the box if doing it meant I could reasonably lower the retail price of the standard edition of the game. The collector's edition would carry a premium price tag, and I'd pay it. If the game is $59 or $69 because it's just what came in the box in 1991 vs $99 or $129, make them expansions as before. Make them as low-cost as you can and keep them separate. I mean, put real cards in the expansions and make sure the components in the box are up to the standard of the base game, but Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord are each effectively minis packs that come with a quest book cards, and a few tiles and bits for the game. That's okay, run with it! And realize you're gonna sell them to D&D players because it's a great way to get six goblins, eight orcs, and three others, or a bunch of skeletons, some zombies, and a couple of mummies.

The Dark Company would be in the box even if the other expansions were not.

I'd bring back the adventure design kit … with an extra set of standard furniture and cardboard bits to give you more freedom. QR code in the package takes you direct to a web-based quest maker as well as the thing you can photocopy and a pack of stickers. You can totally just go to the website and access that. (Oh by the way, that website version? Save it as a webarchive or equivalent and it'll run offline.)

I'd port the full set of expansions to the NA rules and release them all with quality bits in the package. If RotWL winds up being a separate expansion, I'd actually include a Witch Lord mini with it.

Another couple of expansions: Premium furniture pack to replace your cardboard … again realizing this would sell to D&D players as often as HQ. Likewise with the neoprene board. Essentially making these as upgrades for people who later on decide they want them despite not having the collector's edition, which would be a "limited release" thing. ("Limited" to how many people want this version over the standard? Think BluRay steel book releases or game collector's editions…)

That's what I'd do. Keep it original (NA at least) in terms of how you play, update the components while probably keeping the style of the original because I don't trust myself to update it, bring all of the expansions together under one system. Board gamers would have access to a board game with quality components. Role players would have access to a few sources of a group of samey minis, and particularly sized furniture for a good price. HQ fans would have the premium collector's edition set all packaged together. And players of all sorts would have access to a small ecosystem of a game where the heroes are not and do not become superheroes.

Maybe a HQ Campaigns rules system could follow trying to do what the WHQ RPG rules were going for, where not every adventure is inside the dungeon or played on the standard board and you've got a system for more complex stories that plays differently to D&D.

It's not going to happen like that. Wishful thinking is what it is. Hopefully what Hasbro does is ultimately something players will enjoy, and hopefully it continues to exist if they do.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 30th, 2021, 1:55 pm

Actually the "creator app" I think should be free, and they can just put advertising on it, simple. The idea behind the studio would be like a lot of console games who reward buyers by providing a way to easily and quickly get and share new content created by players and rated by the fans. Downloading an "offline" version of the website sounds fine too, as someday it will disappear like everything does, and you won't leave those people who got their dad's copy out to dry necessarily. But it won't have the full interactivity, of course.

As for the bases, I prefer the square bases, but maybe they should be slotted figures? And thus the bases are easily removable and you can use a different base solution if you wish (round bases being sold that are compatible). Made of the same material as the miniature figures. Simple and durable. The figures are meant to stand on their own so you could even saw off the slot and just have them free standing (just don't shake the board!).

When I think of the tiles and board, character boards, etc. I'm thinking of this material, I am calling it laminated wood, but basically it's like particle board sheets (think wooden drink coasters) with an image on it (like a sticker, really) that is covered with a clear, smooth matte plastic finish. It has a nice look and feel and is very durable. Even if it gets scratched (not easy to do) it is hardly noticeable.

Perhaps some kind of plastic running on the bottom of the GM Screen would prevent it from falling over when worn over time, without ruining the iconic look?

The rulebook could also be revised to include the various expansion rules in a separate section. Yes, the web page/app would have access to printable PDFs of all of the books and included cards too in regional variations for those who wanted to go that route, plus character sheets, etc.

I think the "Extra Heroes Pack" would include an extra set of dice and more character sheets. Or maybe the website would just let you buy extra components (spare parts, essentially) if you needed more for whatever reason. But I'm still thinking of the average casual player who would see it in the retail store, pick it up, maybe with an expansion box for Christmas, Summer vacation or whatever.

I agree with you about keeping costs down. Not going super cheap, but the basic set should be so good there's really nothing more to buy. BUT, like Zombicide, there should be all sorts of ways you can easily trick out your set to the extent that you want, for all the obsessive hobbyist types. You can paint everything, add extras, customize everything, replace components with deluxe luxury versions (or just buy the whole thing that way with the collector's edition).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » May 1st, 2021, 5:32 am

Kurgan wrote:Actually the "creator app" I think should be free, and they can just put advertising on it, simple. The idea behind the studio would be like a lot of console games who reward buyers by providing a way to easily and quickly get and share new content created by players and rated by the fans. Downloading an "offline" version of the website sounds fine too, as someday it will disappear like everything does, and you won't leave those people who got their dad's copy out to dry necessarily. But it won't have the full interactivity, of course.

It would be. And effectively downloadable. It's just that in addition to a blank quest booklet and stickers to make one that way, it'd link to the the online version for "By the way, you can do this online too". I'd buy one, and my booklet and stickers would go unused. It'd be a furniture pack with bonus paper product in the package, suitable for making quests if you don't have access to the Internet, and there to use or not if you do.

Kurgan wrote:As for the bases, I prefer the square bases, but maybe they should be slotted figures? And thus the bases are easily removable and you can use a different base solution if you wish (round bases being sold that are compatible). Made of the same material as the miniature figures. Simple and durable. The figures are meant to stand on their own so you could even saw off the slot and just have them free standing (just don't shake the board!).

Only reason for slotted bases would be to use more traditional bases with elastic polymer figures. You could just as easily use the round hollow bases these elastic figures have when made for D&D if you were going to do that. I think part of why Reaper uses the bases they do is that they sit flat on the table rather than "lifting" ala 3D printing without a raft.

Kurgan wrote:When I think of the tiles and board, character boards, etc. I'm thinking of this material, I am calling it laminated wood, but basically it's like particle board sheets (think wooden drink coasters) with an image on it (like a sticker, really) that is covered with a clear, smooth matte plastic finish. It has a nice look and feel and is very durable. Even if it gets scratched (not easy to do) it is hardly noticeable.

Irish pub masonite placemat stuff! :D I really do like the neoprene mat option for a board in a premium edition. Mostly because MAKING these in small quantity is freakin' expensive, but in large quantity they're actually quite easy to do. They look great, are basically impervious to water, etc. They can stain, but they can also be washed with stain remover which does what you expect. Neoprene holds up a very long time, too.

Masonite makes a very premium material for modular tiles, I'll note!

Kurgan wrote:Perhaps some kind of plastic running on the bottom of the GM Screen would prevent it from falling over when worn over time, without ruining the iconic look?

Any kind of rubberized edge would do it. Of course rubber plastics tend to either become more brittle with time or they get gummy. Not sure I like either long-term. Silicone holds up better, but if soft it tends to get gross and if hard … it's not non-slip.

I think I'd rather the flat edge and vertical standing screen. I've actually been debating a "shoe" for the stand made of sealed foamcore that holds it in place and in shape … or make a new screen out of whatever and see if I can extend the artwork to stand it up vertically.

Kurgan wrote:The rulebook could also be revised to include the various expansion rules in a separate section. Yes, the web page/app would have access to printable PDFs of all of the books and included cards too in regional variations for those who wanted to go that route, plus character sheets, etc.

I think the "Extra Heroes Pack" would include an extra set of dice and more character sheets. Or maybe the website would just let you buy extra components (spare parts, essentially) if you needed more for whatever reason. But I'm still thinking of the average casual player who would see it in the retail store, pick it up, maybe with an expansion box for Christmas, Summer vacation or whatever.

I agree with you about keeping costs down. Not going super cheap, but the basic set should be so good there's really nothing more to buy. BUT, like Zombicide, there should be all sorts of ways you can easily trick out your set to the extent that you want, for all the obsessive hobbyist types. You can paint everything, add extras, customize everything, replace components with deluxe luxury versions (or just buy the whole thing that way with the collector's edition).

You can buy Yahtzee score pads. I mean, you don't have to, and probably many don't, but it's an option. Buying extra combat dice and character sheets would be a nice, relatively cheap add-on. If I saw it for $5.99, I'd probably grab it and be happy. And the package would probably cost Hasbro about two dollars to assemble. Storage, shipping, etc. factor into these things, of course, so it wouldn't be a hugely profit-making component, but it's the kind of thing that'd make players feel taken care of if they needed to replace or add some dice.

Came across a Reddit thread where a guy 3D printed everything but the board and cards. We already know that we can make the cards, and actually it makes sense to do so. Board's a little harder because any way you try to get a board that isn't buying one on eBay, it's a pretty significant craft project. Still, he got acceptable results out of FDM printing minis. Not retail quality by any means, but resin of those STL files would be decent. I think there are some options for printing resin with bones-like qualities, but it'd be kind of obnoxious in terms of supports needed, I suspect.

Still, to a large extent, we can produce this stuff if Hasbro won't. It'll HAVE TO BE one-offs because intellectual property laws are a thing and, as much as I openly give no Fs otherwise, I kinda do when it comes to commercial production, and I want to see Hasbro make this stuff, not necessarily fans (at least not for a profit… As mods, improvements, and homebrews for the love of the game, that's different.)
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » May 1st, 2021, 11:00 am

I'm not sure masonite (which feels like really concentrated cardboard or even hard corkboard if I recall correctly) is the thing I'm thinking of. I've seen other game boards use what I mean, it's a really smooth matte surface, but it has the solidity and rigidity of wood (and might even be some cheap wood cut). There's no grainy bits that you could scrape off with your fingernail on the underside.

I guess whatever I would propose it would be super expensive, putting it out of range of the casual buyer... UNLESS it were super mass produced. The regular "dream set" would be for the common people. The "deluxe set" would be for the rich collectors who will pay anything. I would do this because to me you don't make the product for the latter group, but if you want to make a version for them you make it worth the extra expense, it should look like a luxury upgrade. I suppose you could go even more absurd and cover it all with "bling." Or make a set only Scrooge McDuck can afford. Reminds me of the time I read about somebody who made some D&D dice out of a mammoth bone or something really stupid like that.

The Neoprene keeps bringing me back to my decaying mouse pads. Is this stuff more durable than those silicon tournament chess mats? The chess mat I have is great, it rolls up, it doesn't get wrinkled or creased, or gummy. The problem is that it attracts dust like Pigpen from Peanuts.

Modular board, resin 3d board with built in lights, everybody has their dream board. To me either a plain ol' folding board or maybe laminated wood (or whatever it is), would be the "Deluxe" for me. This thing wouldn't be the travel edition it would be the fancy set you have your friends over to show off.

If Hasbro were somehow able to just REPRINT the games from 1989, 1990 and 1991, with nothing changed (except the copyright renewal stamps) with the same materials, I'd go for that in a minute. But here we are in reality where they essentially have to remake it in order to bring it to market. Ah well...
Last edited by Kurgan on May 1st, 2021, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Stig » May 1st, 2021, 11:55 am

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Other Expansion Topics