• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3D Board questions (seeking advice)

Discuss Tile creation and share Tiles you've created.

3D Board questions (seeking advice)

Postby Nicodemus » December 13th, 2018, 12:54 pm

I've been wanting to create a 3D HQ board for a couple of years now and with the upcoming release of the Litchmyre Dungeon miniatures (as well as a full set of Boris' hard-to-get HeroQuest models inspired by Les Edward's box art) I've decided to make this my next priority...

The reason I haven't started yet is that I've been going back and forth in my mind for ages now on what material to make it out of. I've seen a lot of Hirst Arts 3D tile projects - I just don't like the look of them. I'd also like to spend some time on the board so that I can make it as accurate as possible, right down to the same cracks in the same tiles, etc. While this could be achieved with a 3D printed board (and I'd be happy to pay for one) I don't have access to a 3D printer, nor do I have access to someone who can 3D print it for me.

Which brings me to materials I can cut and carve myself. I've got lots of experience with extruded insulation foam, but I want something more durable that's going to hold up against kids or having a metal miniature dropped on it. Making it out of MDF, while more time consuming to carve should be possible, but I'm not very experienced with doing detail work in MDF. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm expecting I could setup a jig for my router sled so that I can router out the grid for the board, and then get to work carving each tile by hand with a dremel, chisel, and an X-acto , but how practical is this kind of idea and how difficult will clean-up be? Am I likely to get clean edges and is it going to paint up decently?

I also want to magnetize every tile, but putting a small magnet inside the centre of each tile and then have it hidden (i.e. by covering over the hole with filler, or alternatively drill into the centre of each tile from the bottom of the board until I'm 5mm from the surface and drop the magnet in that way).

Anyway... foam, MDF... or is there an easy 3D print option where I can just contact someone to make it and ship the board to me?
Any suggestions would be most helpful, as I'd like to start 2019 with a plan |_P

~N

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 3D Board questions (seeking advice)

Postby cornixt » December 14th, 2018, 10:41 am

MDF dust is not good to inhale. And it will take forever to carve! It would be the most durable though. I went half-measures and glued cardboard tiles to MDF - cutting cracks into cardboard is easy in comparison.

There was a 3D printing website that gave a listing of all the people offering printing services in your area. When I looked them up, there were several really close to me - not commercial services, just people making a little extra money on the side with their home printers. You could break down the list by the print quality and materials, and it would give a quote based on the stl file you wanted done. A whole board would cost a ton. I don't remember what site it was though.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nicodemus » December 16th, 2018, 5:16 pm

I'm fine working with MDF, with adequate dust collection it's not a big deal.

I did a test with a V groove router bit on some manky scraps I had... not too bad for a start. This was just freehand so it's not meant to be perfectly straight ;)

Rewards:
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » December 16th, 2018, 5:44 pm

That looks quite nice for a floor, walls would be more difficult I would think.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Nicodemus » December 16th, 2018, 9:14 pm

I don’t particularly like walls that come up from the board, I’m leaning more toward sticking with a thickened edge to demarcate room areas... so not full 3D just the tiles

Rewards:
Nicodemus

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 16th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Nicodemus wrote:I don’t particularly like walls that come up from the board, I’m leaning more toward sticking with a thickened edge to demarcate room areas... so not full 3D just the tiles

I've been working on that concept and I love what I have right now.
Styrofoam on MDF, individual tiles, painted up however I want them.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Tiles