• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Blood Moon Miniatures: HQ-style figures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Blood Moon Miniatures: HQ-style figures

Postby Daedalus » September 29th, 2011, 4:47 pm

The problem is motivating a donator of the rare (read expensive) figures. Why risk damaging the figures, or getting them lost in the mail? I wonder if drathe could be bribed into lending his figures on a set-by-set basis. He has a Paypal donate button right on the Homepage, you know. There's also the Cancer Society sponsor link he's posted. If enough of us pledged to donate to one or the other, maybe he would set his price. After it was satisfied, Big Bene could take over. What do ya think, drathe?

Come to think of it, I have the Warhammer Quest figures drathe mentioned that he wanted. Big Bene, do you think you could cast up the giant rats, giant spiders, and giant bats that came with that game? A recast-figure exchange, perhaps?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » September 29th, 2011, 5:48 pm

I think I could do this. I recently had a copy of Warhammer Quest printed and bound. Don't think I'll ever play it, but it's a nice source of ideas...
Yes, would defnitely like to have the minis, too (I wouldn't copy any minis I'm not interested in myself, unless I'm paid for. It's really not that difficult, but it's still time consuming).

Here in Germany, you can buy a sort of insurance when sending a parcel, so the post has to pay when it gets lost. For some strange reason, these parcels never get lost (unlike normal ones...). Surely other postal services have somthing alike...
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » September 30th, 2011, 9:46 am

Make sure you send any minis well bubble wrapped and sealed in a STRONG envelope - wherever they go!
If Bene can make a good guide on copying minis, I would be willing to drive several hours eastward to drathe and DO the moulds right on his premises! - Only it would be figures which are out of production! Not ones that have a copyright!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » September 30th, 2011, 11:06 am

Had I duplicate copies of MM and FH, you might get me to crack. But as I only have one set of each, I would never chance them.

Eventually I will have another set. We may discuss the terms then.
Last edited by drathe on October 6th, 2013, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed typo

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » September 30th, 2011, 11:34 am

el_flesh wrote:Make sure you send any minis well bubble wrapped and sealed in a STRONG envelope - wherever they go!
If Bene can make a good guide on copying minis, I would be willing to drive several hours eastward to drathe and DO the moulds right on his premises! - Only it would be figures which are out of production! Not ones that have a copyright!

I posted something of a "guide" here. Don't know how to explain it better, but feel free to ask any questions.

A few remark on some details:
- I really recommend the Lego method for the box to cast the silicone mould.
- leave some room for the valve at the side that will be the top of the mould, where you will fill in the fluid metal/resin. A bigger valve will make casting easier, take up surplus material, and adds pressure to the fluid in the mould.
- If you cast soft metal, don't forget to pre-heat the mould. You can use a hot air pistol or just make some "pre-casts" with the hot metal.
- Resin will give a better look (closer to the original plastics), but metal is easier to cast, gives sturdier results and is much cheaper. Moreover, resin will "eat" the silicone over time.

As for copyright - items out of production are still not pubilc domain. HeroQuest is copyrighted, the figures as well as the printed material. Hasbro could stop drathe publishing all the printables here at the forum. Point is, they don't want to enforce their rights on material they don't have financial interest in any more, which is pretty nice (on the other hand, Greed Workshop is very protective about their old copyrights. That's why you can't download AHQ material here).

Had I duplicate copies of MM and FF, you might get me to crack.

What's FF? The frozen Fearie?
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby drathe » September 30th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Big Bene wrote:What's FF? The frozen Fearie?

A typo.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 30th, 2011, 2:59 pm

drathe wrote:Had I duplicate copies of MM and FH, you might get me to crack. But as I only have one set of each, I would never chance them.

Eventually I will have another set. We may discuss the terms then.

That would be great, drathe! I understand how you don't want to risk your collection.

Would anybody else be interested in pooling together to make some figs? Enough of us could provide some motivation for a purchase.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » October 14th, 2011, 5:42 am

What price do you consider reasonable for a full set of HQ metal miniatures (from pewter)? 35 miniatures, about 700gr.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » October 14th, 2011, 2:09 pm

The pewter is really inexpensive. Say, rather less than 10€ for this amount. The silicone ruber for the moulds is much more expensive, you would need around 3000gr, wich would be around 80 € if you find an unopened can at ebay, much more at the store. Of course, you can use the moulds several times. It depends on how many people would share the moulds. I initially planned to make and keep the moulds on my own expenses, but I had not yet given a thought about how much I would take for a figure in this case. I think taking a small fee for the work and expenses would be OK, but how much? No idea...
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby el_flesh » October 14th, 2011, 2:44 pm

It could wind up paying for itself pretty soon I think. If you asked for the same amount a regular available figure goes for today at a store, say 2 or 3 E; plus shipping, it would be doable. I know I would want several figs. You ought to be able to get a few of them together in one mould, minimizing your Si expense.

One other thing - there are kits in sex shops that let you make a copy of your junk for your lover. If it's the same quality mould making, it might be more economical!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures