• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Do you paint your game plastics?

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

What parts do you paint?

The Heros only.
No votes
The Monsters only.
No votes
The figures only.
22%
The furniture only.
No votes
Both the furniture and the figures.
48%
Only the torture rack.
No votes
What are you, crazy? Devalue the plastics?!?
15%
I paint my own body instead.
15%

Total votes : 27

Re: Do you paint your game plastics?

Postby ken » August 24th, 2011, 2:18 am

get it, it needs to be saved
but who is it meant to be :?: Looks a bit like King Too-Ten-Ka-Moon. Can you Egyptologists help me out here :?: :roll:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » August 24th, 2011, 8:58 am

ken wrote:get it, it needs to be saved
but who is it meant to be :?: Looks a bit like King Too-Ten-Ka-Moon. Can you Egyptologists help me out here :?: :roll:

You speaking of Tutankhamun?
If you want to divide the name like this, it should be:
Toot-Enk-Amon
"Living-icon-of-Amon"
twt (Egyptian hieroglyphs represent only consonants) - ususal engl. transcription "tut", pronounced "toot" = "image, likeness"
‛nh (the ‛ represents the semitic semivocal Ajin, the stroke under the h should be bended, represents a phonem like Greek "X", German "Ch") - ususal transliteration Ankh = "life, to live, living"
jmn - usual engl. transcription Amun = the Theban god Amun.

The figure however, doesn't look like him in the least. It just has some vaguely "Egyptian" style features.
The beard and the shoulder adornment are fayrly original, the headdress is a mess of different male and felmale Egyptian "crowns". The uraeus snake at the headdress would have been a sign of kingly dignity, but it would not have been wound around the head like this. The sword is of a form not found until the European early middle ages (Would had to be made of steel to work in this form, which was a highend material in Egpyt at Tutankhamun's livetime, extremely seldom and much more expansive than gold). The garment is definitely unegyptian and the staff is pure fantasy.
But still, it's a fantasy game, and the figure looks great for this purpose. Just wanted to answer your request for an expertise... 8-)
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ken » August 24th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Big Bene wrote:

You speaking of Tutankhamun?
If you want to divide the name like this, it should be:
Toot-Enk-Amon
"Living-icon-of-Amon"
twt (Egyptian hieroglyphs represent only consonants) - ususal engl. transcription "tut", pronounced "toot" = "image, likeness"
‛nh (the ‛ represents the semitic semivocal Ajin, the stroke under the h should be bended, represents a phonem like Greek "X", German "Ch") - ususal transliteration Ankh = "life, to live, living"
jmn - usual engl. transcription Amun = the Theban god Amun.

The figure however, doesn't look like him in the least. It just has some vaguely "Egyptian" style features.
The beard and the shoulder adornment are fayrly original, the headdress is a mess of different male and felmale Egyptian "crowns". The uraeus snake at the headdress would have been a sign of kingly dignity, but it would not have been wound around the head like this. The sword is of a form not found until the European early middle ages (Would had to be made of steel to work in this form, which was a highend material in Egpyt at Tutankhamun's livetime, extremely seldom and much more expansive than gold). The garment is definitely unegyptian and the staff is pure fantasy.
But still, it's a fantasy game, and the figure looks great for this purpose. Just wanted to answer your request for an expertise... 8-)

I bow deeply to your superior knowledge.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby AndyW » August 24th, 2011, 5:17 pm

I think it could make a great boss; you could throw in a bunch of undead and have a party
AndyW

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » August 24th, 2011, 5:47 pm

Now, did you place a bid on the figure? If not, I would... ;)
Ken wrote:I bow deeply to your superior knowledge.

Thanx, anytimes!
It's nice when I can put my original background to use time and again.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby drathe » August 24th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Would go well with the Egyptian board by Iwanhoa.

Enjoyed the archaeology lesson Bene. Does watching films and television programs showing inaccurate artifacts and depictions bother you after studying Egyptology? Or is it just fantasy fun?

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby ken » August 25th, 2011, 2:01 am

Well you Egyptologists, King Tut is still there, if you want him, ebay Item number: 160640715583. Starting at £3-00, no bids, three days to go.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » August 25th, 2011, 6:10 am

drathe wrote:Does watching films and television programs showing inaccurate artifacts and depictions bother you after studying Egyptology? Or is it just fantasy fun?

Depends.

In fantasy films, some of the inaccuracies are funny, creative, or just neccesary to the narrative. Tha's OK with me, expecially if they did their research for the other props/depictions. Good example: Stargate.
Other inaccuracies are just plain stupid, add nothing to the story and would have looked just as good or even better had they been done right. Bad example: The Mummy 1-3.
This indeed bothers me, as having this done by an expert would have hardly added any signivicant percentage to the (often vast) budged. It also gives a false impression to people who are interested but don't have the background to tell facts from nonsense. And last not least, it catches my attention (in a bad way), and somewhat spoils the film for me. Of course, even if this somhow upsets me, it doesn't hinder me to watch and still enjoy the movie as a piece of fantasy. Acting, cameras, pace, etc. may still be good.

Of course, with documentaries it's different. When reporters try to tell the "facts" in scientific channels, they quite often over-simplify, over-drama dramatize, or plainly got it wrong. Naturally, that bothers me much more.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » August 25th, 2011, 6:11 am

ken wrote:Well you Egyptologists, King Tut is still there, if you want him, ebay Item number: 160640715583. Starting at £3-00, no bids, three days to go.

Placed a bid
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » August 25th, 2011, 7:12 am

drathe wrote:Would go well with the Egyptian board by Iwanhoa.

That's amazing! Are there any quests that fit on that board as well? (just found out the links on that page don't work :( )

Good luck with your bid!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures