• Advertisement
HeroGM Advanced Soundboard

Dive into the dimension of dynamic sound with Hero GM!
Free version available! Save 10% on full version with offer code "yeoldeinn"

Monster additions

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Monster additions

Postby Rokr » Thursday April 9th, 2020 2:12pm

Hey!
In addition to the base game monsters, what do you guys have?
I currently have:

Goblin spearman
Goblin Archers
Snotlings
Hobgoblins
Giant rats
Giant spiders
Giant bats
Ratmen
Beastman
Ogres
Minotaur
Troll
Dragon
Fire elementals
Deathknight
Necromancer/evil wizard

For heroes I have:
Halfling rogue
Elf Archer
A little gnome dude with a lantern to use as a NPC
Rokr

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Monster additions

Postby Jafazo » Thursday April 9th, 2020 4:18pm

This list would be way too long to list. Pretty much every monster in D&D, PF, Video games etc have all made their way into my game.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Uncle_Elvis » Thursday April 9th, 2020 9:58pm

Rust Monster (the default wandering monster)
Beholder
Zombie Hulk/Troll
The dwarven practice constructs from Kellers Keep have been beefed up a little bit and are semi-recurring characters (represented by Zombicide Monty Python characters)

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Uncle_Elvis

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby Anderas » Tuesday April 14th, 2020 11:05am

I like to simulate Heroquest games of quest layouts that I find in the Forums. From these, I get an ever-expanding list of custom monsters. Currently, it lists around 170 monsters.
You can take a look at them here. It's a bit technical, though, but never mind. :)

___
Myself, I did a lot less:
Few years ago, the first addition I've made were perks for the existing monsters. You can use the base monster, or you can use the enhanced monster if you feared that your dungeon would be too easy.

Green figures:

Goblin - Goblin Spearman, Goblin Shooter, Goblin with MAM, and the addition of MAM to Spearman and Shooter, respectively.

A goblin is the lowest creature you can think of in the base game. As a Spearman they counter door blocking actions - the door blocker suddenly gets up to six attacks per rounds. No-one does it anymore. Same for the shooter; with the addition that the long aisles are the perfect hunting ground for Goblin shooters. Man those are dangerous! In the Frozen Horror, you have several quests with open circuits to run away. Goblin shooters can use those to their maximum effect, especially as they are not affected by icy rivers. Don't underestimate them.

With Move-attack-move, basically every goblin in the room may attack. One after the other, Jackie Chan inverted. Even the normal Goblins suddenly become a force to be taken serious. Goblin Shooters with MAM... you better have some potions of healings in the group.

Orcs got nothing from me. They are the perfect standard monster. But I have thought about expanding the Orc Shaman a little bit, about introducing an Orc Boss... but naah. I've had a 15 000 points 40k Ork Army. I didn't want to expand the Heroquest Orcs too much, I've had too much of it in the other game already.

Fimirs get a spell. Each Fimir gets one random spell. Sometimes I draw one from the Chaos Spell deck, sometimes I use one of Sjeng's Swamp spells.

Undeads:

Skeletons, I gave them Spears. For the same reasons as for the Goblins.

Zombies are still up for the grab. In one quest I let both, Skeletons and Zombies get up again after two turns, if the dead pile of bones would not be killed again. It was nice as quest addition, but I wouldn't put it everywhere.
I am still thinking if I should introduce Zombicide like fatties, runners and abominations. However in Zombicide you would kill six or ten per round, sometimes you could burn 50 or 60 in one turn. Heroquest doesn't play like this. Also, in Heroquest you don't have the freedom of movement you enjoy in Zombicide, so the difference between normalos and runners wouldn't be very visible; while fatties would just have a die or two more in defense, attack, and a BP more... only... then they are as strong as mummies. Game-design-wise, Zombies should retain their zombie-ish profile. If you see a zombie, it should be a zombie and not a Chaos Warrior in Disguise.
I love the Zombicide Black Plaque special zombies however, the bishop, the dancer, the dwarf, and so on and so forth. I sometimes use them just to have stylish different models for the same monster card.

Mummies, I thought who would probably got to be mummified? Would be somebody important for sure. So they got the perk to use one or two necromancer spells (if I have them perked, that is.)

Grey models:
Well. The Gargolye gets stoned. When he turns to stone, nothing can hurt him. He can use it only once, however, because it can get boring if it happens too oftne.

The Chaos Warrior defends on white shields sometimes.

____

So here you got 8 Base game models and a total of 17 variants out of them. I then went to have bigger rooms, because good fights need good rooms. Those mini-rooms mostly used on the Heroquest Board let you rarely feel the difference between the monsters at all.

___

The Ogres and Helmsmen got proper Monster cards from me. The Ogres follow Phoenix' Quest Books, they have set Body Points. I like them better like that. Perks, they have no perks so far, just their base monster abilities.
___

For the Yeoldeinn HQ25 project (which is as finished as the other one from spain there :D ) we made:

Beastman
Minotaur
Kobold
Basilisk
Chaos Dwarf

I love them all, especially as I have models for them.

The Beastman goes inbetween Orc and Fimir; it can be used as medium monster for 3-dice-heroes or as weak standard monster for high level Heroes.

The Chaos Dwarf is a strong variant, goes above the Fimir but below the Chaos Warrior.
It can be used in groups of 3 or 4, for fully equipped Heroes.

The Minotaur slots into the gap above the Gargoyle:
The Gargoyle is a hard monster for starter groups, but somehow no real match for a fully equipped group.
So this Monster goes in a place above the Gargoyle, but still below a proper Boss Monster.

You can download the entire package ready for printing at the professional printer on 2.5 x 3.5 inch cards, here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hC_5i ... zD_KgW1iDt

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » Tuesday April 14th, 2020 6:54pm

Thats cool Anderas, love your monster additions, it sounds like it makes the game way more interesting.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:

Return to Miniatures