• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ogre sizes (reaper vs ogre horde)

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Ogre sizes (reaper vs ogre horde)

Postby SasaPK » October 28th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Evening all,

I joined a few weeks back but this is my first post, so... hi! :D . I recently reacquired HQ again (played as a kid in the 80’s but parents sold it and all the expansions at car boot sales... the horror!) and have bought some expansions too, however I’m finding against the ogre horde a bit pricey to replace so have been hunting for alternative miniatures for the ogres and wondering if anyone else has had any success?

The current games workshop line appears to be waaaaaay too big for HQ board. I found some reaper ogres from ‘bones’ but I can’t seem to find a clear example of size vs normal minis. There’s mantic too but they’re metal and would prefer plastic or resin. Can anyone help? Or alternatively, any other suggestions for alternative ogre models that may fit a HQ board?

Thanks in advance :)

Sarah
SasaPK

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Ogre sizes (reaper vs ogre horde)

Postby whitebeard » October 28th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Welcome to the inn!

GW would argue that they did not change the scale, but they are wrong. They have clearly moved on to 32mm but the lines are still mixed... So the argument is that the AoS Knights (Celestials, or whatever they are) are supper humans at 8+ ft tall. This is however a complete fail when you see that the run-of-the-mill Silver Tower acolyte/cultist is every bit as tall. So if everyone is a super human, then nobody is super, and they just changed the scale.

However GW still makes limited amounts of stuff in the old scale, and the "Ogors" are exactly that. I bought them last year as I was afraid they would terminate the line. So I still have them in the box. FYI: The lizard men are also still 28mm.

I believe they are an acceptable stand-in for your missing Ogres.

Like the Chaos Warriors, Skeleton Warriors, Glade Guard Elves, Dwarf Warriors, Wight King, and others... The scale is 28mm but slightly less heroic (smaller heads and hands). I view all of these as upgrades. Unfortunately you need to go back in time to find acceptable orcs, goblins, and Fimir.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 28th, 2018, 7:48 pm

whitebeard wrote:FYI: The lizard men are also still 28mm.

What do they call them cause I haven't seen those?
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby SasaPK » October 28th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Whitebeard, thanks for the reply! I may have been mistaken on the modern ogre/ogors then, with 40mm bases I assumed they were too big as presumably the old ones must be close to 25mm bases to fit on the HQ board... also I saw a pic of the HQ ogre next to a battlemasters ogre which was much bigger so I thought that was the ‘new’ scale!

I will pop into my local GW next time I’m in town and take a look at the ogors :) thank you.

J_dean80 the lizardmen are called seraphon now I believe, or something like that. You’ll find them under the age of sigmar’s alliance of order option on their website.
SasaPK

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby arch8ngel » March 12th, 2019, 1:53 pm

I didn't realize this until I saw it pointed out on another forum, but Reaper tends to show two "tick marks" on one of the black-and-white pictures for each of their miniatures.

As best I can tell, comparing with some Reaper miniatures I've received, those tick marks are 10mm apart (and are aligned with the model to approximate where 20mm should measure).
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » December 12th, 2020, 9:52 am

This is an old thread, but I can fully endorse the Reaper Bones Ogres (Smasher, Clubber, Guard) as awesome replacements for the classic originals. I have grown to like the style of the classic GW Ogres which looked like bigger, fatter, mutant versions of the classic Orcs. However the Reaper ones just look that much more menacing, like they really would block the whole corridor and take a lot of damage before going down. They're taller and wider, but when it comes to Ogres which are supposed to be big in general, this is fine, even a benefit!

As far as size, they have built in bases, but if you were to give them an approximate size base (which I did), it is 25x25mm. So they will fit on the classic board, unless you had a bunch of them all lined up in the same area I guess. A couple of the Reaper ogres have a "wider stance" meaning you would need to consider them as a two-square monster (equivalent to the Frozen Horror or Giant Wolves), and so to base them you'd want either a 20x40mm or 25x50mm. If you can fit those monsters on your board, you can deal with these guys too. Honestly, for the price, you're getting a good looking figure that can work, even if he doesn't have cool interchangeable/movable limbs and heads!

Here are my substitutions:

Ogre Warrior / Ogre = (reaper bones) 77456 Ogre Guard
Ogre Champion = (reaper bones) 77455 Ogre Smasher (double wide base)
Ogre Chieftain = (reaper bones) 77105 Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Lord = (reaper bones) 77566 Ogre Chieftan (double wide big base)
Ogre Mercenary (homebrew) = 77454 Ogre Clubber

Cheap base solution: uxcell plastic end caps

Finished examples here As you can see, I painted in solid acrylics, and slapped the base right on the bottom without trimming anything. But this should give you a rough idea. Even accounting for the base, the Reaper versions are at least a head taller.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on December 12th, 2020, 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Oftkilted » December 12th, 2020, 10:33 am

Sjeng did an absolutely awesome version using Warhammer Fantasy Ogres.

Because they have small physical footprints they can actually fit on standard HeroQuest sized bases:
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » December 12th, 2020, 11:41 am

Those look pretty cool, and they have the Fimir "belly shield" too!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Mophus » December 12th, 2020, 2:28 pm

SasaPK wrote:Evening all,

I joined a few weeks back but this is my first post, so... hi! :D . I recently reacquired HQ again (played as a kid in the 80’s but parents sold it and all the expansions at car boot sales... the horror!) and have bought some expansions too, however I’m finding against the ogre horde a bit pricey to replace so have been hunting for alternative miniatures for the ogres and wondering if anyone else has had any success?

The current games workshop line appears to be waaaaaay too big for HQ board. I found some reaper ogres from ‘bones’ but I can’t seem to find a clear example of size vs normal minis. There’s mantic too but they’re metal and would prefer plastic or resin. Can anyone help? Or alternatively, any other suggestions for alternative ogre models that may fit a HQ board?

Thanks in advance :)

Sarah

Hi Sarah, what about them:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/EXCLUSIVE-Minis3D-Rep-Heroquest-Against-the-Ogre-Horde-/223872533872?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Mophus

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » December 13th, 2020, 6:22 am

3d printed resin figures? Yes, those are pretty good (and I make no endorsement of any particular seller). It depends on the scan quality of course. Etsy also stocks them often, or you can find the STL files on various sites and print them yourself (or if you have access to a 3d printer). The detail is less than the originals and you lose the movable limbs, but otherwise they are the exact same size as the originals.

Compare the level of detail here (Original vs. resin printed & painted)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Miniatures