• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Help with pewter miniatures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Help with pewter miniatures

Postby whitebeard » November 26th, 2017, 12:31 am

It does not look like it is broken. It looks like it was cast as 3 parts. If you use less glue, it should hold. Less glue will "dry" faster. And you should not be getting it on your hands. Less is more. Good luck.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Big Bene » November 26th, 2017, 7:57 am

I would by any means use the drill and pin method.
If you are in miniatures in any way, a drillbit is a worhwile investment, and it's not very expensive, too. If you take some time, you can find cheaper ones than that in the link at Ebay. A Dremel is of course hany when doing miniatures, but in most everyday cases it is faster and easier, and even ore accurate, to use the hand tool.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Spookyhappyfun » November 26th, 2017, 9:30 am

whitebeard wrote:It does not look like it is broken. It looks like it was cast as 3 parts. If you use less glue, it should hold. Less glue will "dry" faster. And you should not be getting it on your hands. Less is more. Good luck.

I don't know about that. The creator sent me one too and it was all together as one piece. The tip of the staff was a bit bent but I was able to move it back in place. Otherwise it doesn't feel like it was ever separate.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » November 26th, 2017, 11:31 am

Spookyhappyfun wrote:
whitebeard wrote:It does not look like it is broken. It looks like it was cast as 3 parts. If you use less glue, it should hold. Less glue will "dry" faster. And you should not be getting it on your hands. Less is more. Good luck.

I don't know about that. The creator sent me one too and it was all together as one piece. The tip of the staff was a bit bent but I was able to move it back in place. Otherwise it doesn't feel like it was ever separate.

Even better for thd poster. A break means the surfaces exactly match for gluing.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » November 26th, 2017, 12:08 pm

It was together when i got it out of the package.
And pieces snapped off in my hands.
George the sculptor confirmed this when i messaged him about it.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » November 27th, 2017, 2:21 pm

I like the idea they did a miniature of Morcar as seen in the Marvel Winter Special, but I don't like it too much because it is slim and tall and doesn't fit very well the original style of the game. Anyway it should be made few years ago and not in '90.
I can confirm this miniature was cast in one single piece. If you wish you can send it to me and I will repair it for you, but I live in Italy, so I don't know if it is worth the cost or you can consider to buy a new one.
If you don't want to buy anything else, I hardly see a homemade solution except that you can go to your favourite shop and ask a glue that is specific for metals.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » November 28th, 2017, 3:44 am

Why shouldn't he try to do it himself?
It's really not that hard, he got plenty of advise here, and after all, that's what he asked for.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 28th, 2017, 6:27 am

Big Bene wrote:Why shouldn't he try to do it himself?
It's really not that hard, he got plenty of advise here, and after all, that's what he asked for.

I agree. It's simply part of it.
by the way, i find it quite ironic that we're talking about a character who you shouldn't try to represent by a mini in the first place.
That's just my opinion of course.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » November 28th, 2017, 10:16 am

Pinning metal models takes a lot of work but is by far the strongest fix. I use paper clips as the stiffener. For uneven metal joins, I find that a glue called E9000 works really well - unlike superglue, it's thick enough to span a gap in the joint and sticks really well. I would use it for any repair job that wasn't super narrow without pinning.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » November 28th, 2017, 9:14 pm

cornixt wrote:For uneven metal joins, I find that a glue called E9000 works really well - unlike superglue, it's thick enough to span a gap in the joint and sticks really well. I would use it for any repair job that wasn't super narrow without pinning.

Thanks. I'll look into that.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures