• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Painted Miniatures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Painted Miniatures

Postby Tomkat364 » June 13th, 2016, 4:36 pm

[This topic was moved from Board index ‹ HeroQuest Rooms ‹ General HeroQuest Discussion on 4/08/18. -edit]

I finally figured out how to take a good picture! So I'm posting some pics of my full goblin army which I finished up about 3 months ago. Currently working on skeletons in between some projects for other games, but please take a look and offer criticism. More pics and explanations at my blog: https://darthtomsgaming.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Daedalus on April 7th, 2018, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic
Tomkat364

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Painted Miniatures

Postby QorDaq » June 13th, 2016, 5:12 pm

Hiya Tomkat,

I know it's not very helpful for me to just say "These look great", but they do.

I particularly like the fact that the Goblins are color-coded to match up weapon types. And, being anal about such things, I can also appreciate that you chose to line them up (for the picture) in a grid with a repeating pattern, I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

But yeah, the paint scheme is simple and effective, with shading and highlighting that looks very clean. I like them. Now I'm curious to see more.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » June 13th, 2016, 5:27 pm

Not into painting and such but these look really nice, very clean.

QorDaq wrote:I particularly like the fact that the Goblins are color-coded to match up weapon types.
+1
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » June 13th, 2016, 6:26 pm

your skills exceed mine
good job

Not about to give notes to a painter better than I.

Edit to add: Well...you could have painted one in such a way as to identify him as the commander. I have 2 commander goblins. One has golden boots and a golden shirt, the other I moded the mini and gave him an ax in his off hand so he gets an extra attack.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Tomkat364 » June 13th, 2016, 6:43 pm

cynthialee wrote:your skills exceed mine
good job

Not about to give notes to a painter better than I.

Edit to add: Well...you could have painted one in such a way as to identify him as the commander. I have 2 commander goblins. One has golden boots and a golden shirt, the other I moded the mini and gave him an ax in his off hand so he gets an extra attack.

There are goblin commanders??? I have only played through quest 10 or 11 so far (our group meets far too infrequently), so I have seen commander orcs and mummies, but no goblin commanders. Luckily I have another six goblin minis so I can certainly add one if necessary.

I have plans for the orc chiefs though... mwa ha ha.
Tomkat364

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » June 13th, 2016, 6:51 pm

There's no goblin commanders in the standard quests (unless they added them in the US version but I highly doubt it).

She means as custom monsters, it's almost a given at the inn that users add their own stuff. ;)
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » June 13th, 2016, 8:07 pm

What he said ^^

I figure if you are painting mini's, you will mod the rules eventually.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » June 13th, 2016, 11:58 pm

Bang! What a comeback!
I absolutely love this paintjob. The clean brushstrokes, the highlighting are pretty darn perfect.
And the NMM... For what it is (HQ minis) it looks amazing. I mean, the shadows on the metals could go darker and there could be more highlighting with a few reflections of other colors in there, but it looks really good as is.
I'm looking forward to more pictures of more minis from you.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » June 14th, 2016, 4:23 am

Excellent work! Bright and clean. I like 'em.

Wouldn't a commander goblin just be an orc? ;)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » June 14th, 2016, 3:33 pm

Goblin-King wrote:...Wouldn't a commander goblin just be an orc? ;)

Heh... Funny you should mention this. Back in the day, so to speak, when I actually had all the NA expansions and a semi-regular group, (ca. 92-95), we inevitably started favoring the RPG-lite aspects of HQ. This meant adding new monsters (often bolstered by the fantastic assortment of minis that came with AHQ and WHQ, as well as Talisman), and the adventures soon extended beyond the dungeon and into villages, castles, yadda, yadda, yadda... Anyway, some of these adventures would lead to above ground massive battle kinds of encounters that were just shy of Wargaming vs dungeon crawling...

In these instances, a "Warband" might include Orcs, Goblins, and of course Snotlings. So the Goblin "Lieutenants" would occasionally command groups of Snotlings on the battlefield. All home-brewed rules, but yeah, there were essentially Goblin commanders....*Chuckle*...

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Miniatures