• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ampersands stuff

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Ampersands stuff

Postby Thantos » December 20th, 2015, 9:51 am

W + N Masters series i like the best, as KK says - lasted me 3 - 4 years now and still good. Not that i get time to paint in the last year xD
Suck your brush or not is the overriding debate? ;)

Nice PJ with the dwarf, love the classic trousers especially! Those goblins dont stand a chance!
Only gripe is with the scibor sculpt and the somewhat interesting anatomy xD Being a sculptor, perhaps you can fix whatever in the name of Sigmar is going on with his stomach? Smooth his hernias over? xD
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » December 20th, 2015, 10:10 am

I'll suck every brush if I love it.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » December 20th, 2015, 1:08 pm

knightkrawler wrote:It's just 10 quid and a very good investment. Brush soap to go with it, too, but I admittedly hardly ever use it.
I think with proper brush care you can ride 3 years on a W&N...
One size 1 for regular paint and one for metallic paints is all it takes.

Citadel brushes are pretentious and expensive.
Anybody needs to become aware of what they are buying. As a brush manufacturer you can call your brush a "sable brush" if a certain percentage of the hairs used is sable.
Now, knowing how GW ticks, what do you think they are doing? Do they think, "Bugger that, let's give our well-esteemed customers a full-sable brush instead"!? Methinks not.
The prices for the new brushes (there's a new line for a few months) are ridiculously expensive and they need to be boycotted.

i know they are not sable. i beleive they are a mix. but a full set for about 35 quid meant this brush was probably only about 3 quid. its served me well enough. but i know i need to step up the quality in brush if i want to start adding more freehand to my paintings

Thantos wrote:W + N Masters series i like the best, as KK says - lasted me 3 - 4 years now and still good. Not that i get time to paint in the last year xD
Suck your brush or not is the overriding debate? ;)

Nice PJ with the dwarf, love the classic trousers especially! Those goblins dont stand a chance!
Only gripe is with the scibor sculpt and the somewhat interesting anatomy xD Being a sculptor, perhaps you can fix whatever in the name of Sigmar is going on with his stomach? Smooth his hernias over? xD

i actually like the anatomy of them. on my blog i mention the build of that of a power lifter or a strong man (jeff capes type not the curly moustache circus type) and many of the much larger guys are built similar to this..minus the extremely short legs :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » February 28th, 2016, 6:25 pm

just finished up my chaos troll that ive been working on. it didn't turn out too bad. ive been working on this solidly with the very little time i have had since December. so was nice to finally get such a long term project completed.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » February 28th, 2016, 9:15 pm

ampersand wrote:just finished up my chaos troll that ive been working on. it didn't turn out too bad.

How much can &amp understate the work he does?

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 29th, 2016, 2:18 am

I wanted to ask the same. That's absolutely gorgeous. In the ... chaos-y ... way.
I especially like the pustules set off in the red inflammation areas. Looks absolutely realistically itchy and disgusting. Did you gloss-varnish these spots?
And the elbow of the third arm and the eyes and all this detail hardlining and the limited palette. Dear god, that's good work!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby StratosVX » February 29th, 2016, 3:00 am

"Didn't turn out too bad"? Are you serious? That thing is fantastic!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » February 29th, 2016, 3:19 am

Yeah, Ampersand has a SERIOUS case of Imposter Syndrome.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » February 29th, 2016, 3:21 am

I really like his self portrait! I was always wondering why he chose Ampersand as name, but the Troll has really the same posture the sign has. :)

I like it a lot!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » February 29th, 2016, 5:37 am

IvenBach wrote:
ampersand wrote:just finished up my chaos troll that ive been working on. it didn't turn out too bad.

How much can &amp understate the work he does?

in my head. this was going to be much more grotesque, pain wracked and vile looking. from the point i finished the sculpt i knew he was still looking too much like a troll than what i had envisioned. and the paint job wasnt how i imagined it to be either. whilst i will agree he turned out well. it still fell below what i imagined it would turn out like. so i think its fair to say it didnt turn out bad..just not how i wanted :p

knightkrawler wrote:I wanted to ask the same. That's absolutely gorgeous. In the ... chaos-y ... way.
I especially like the pustules set off in the red inflammation areas. Looks absolutely realistically itchy and disgusting. Did you gloss-varnish these spots?
And the elbow of the third arm and the eyes and all this detail hardlining and the limited palette. Dear god, that's good work!

you wouldnt believe the different colour schemes i started with. it just wasnt working, which is why in the end, to save plastering too much paint on this i went with a mixture of standard trollish colours. grey/blue then mixing in reds/greens and purples to break up the colour scheme seemed to work best. all of this comes from me finally using a wet palette and buying some W&N brushes.
i didnt varnish the boils. because i havent had chance to get to get any. i will probably add that in later on.

StratosVX wrote:"Didn't turn out too bad"? Are you serious? That thing is fantastic!

thanks. like i say. it didnt quite turn out how i imagined. but im happy he is finally completed.

slev wrote:Yeah, Ampersand has a SERIOUS case of Imposter Syndrome.

i dont even know what that is. but i like to think im just humble in my approach to the things i do. |_P but thanks for the diagnosis lol

Anderas wrote:I really like his self portrait! I was always wondering why he chose Ampersand as name, but the Troll has really the same posture the sign has. :)

I like it a lot!

thanks the name...comes from a comic book called 'Y the last man' great read!. and glad you like it
and oddly yeh now you point it out. it does kind of stand in that position. & but then you are only looking at it from one angle.

theres some more angles on my blog. but heres my obligatory action shot i always like to churn out. :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures