• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ampersands stuff

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Ampersands stuff

Postby The Road Warrior » August 6th, 2013, 4:03 am

Seb wrote: Wish that knight in the background made it into miniature form :(

The Knight Templar from Talisman is a good match ;)

The image on that card is from Legacy of Sorasil, an old computer game. Someone was/is doing a conversion of this game here on the forum. I'm not sure if they converted the characters yet.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Goblin-King » August 6th, 2013, 4:45 am

That's actually a very good match! :o

It was Nephew of Mentor who did the conversion. I helped a little. Mainly by owning the actual original game/box/manual. 8-)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » August 18th, 2013, 9:43 pm

got a few treasure chests for you guys. nothing special. but something to tick off my to do list at least :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby roomandu » August 18th, 2013, 10:01 pm

In this picture, that chained book, is it the one from "Harry Potter"? Not sure which book, maybe the second or third I think?
Your furniture and figures are awesome Amersand.
|_P
Drew
roomandu

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » August 19th, 2013, 12:44 am

& you may be overly modest. I have to say that when you are good at something you should at least accept and acknowledge it instead of saying you aren't. I wish I had half of what talent you are using to make this stuff. Looking forward to your tutorials. Your stuff has become what my painting tragedies aspire to.

by the way your blog has great colors and isn't glaring bright (I personally like it a lot).

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby ampersand » August 19th, 2013, 3:14 am

roomandu wrote:Image

In this picture, that chained book, is it the one from "Harry Potter"? Not sure which book, maybe the second or third I think?
Your furniture and figures are awesome Amersand.
|_P
Drew

Well it wasnt supposed to be that book(i know which one you mean and dont know which film either) but we can say it is :)
Its actually an old 40k lead bit.. It had a small bed roll type thing attached which i cut off. So im presuming it was from some backpack or motorbike attachment? No sorry i stole it from harry potter :)
IvenBach wrote:& you may be overly modest. I have to say that when you are good at something you should at least accept and acknowledge it instead of saying you aren't. I wish I had half of what talent you are using to make this stuff. Looking forward to your tutorials. Your stuff has become what my painting tragedies aspire to.

by the way your blog has great colors and isn't glaring bright (I personally like it a lot).

Thank you..i did post that late last night so was lacking any real indepth text. But generally i wasnt that happy with the treasure chests. They didnt quite turn out as good as i had hoped. And they were a rush job. Im keeping hush as to why..but i got another idea and had to run with it whilst the iron was still hot. Hopefully it will be finished in the next week. As for being modest? I am quite a humble guy in all honesty. If i do something im not happy with then ill say so i guess. I think its easy to get carried away with your own creations. I do lots of research and follow many wonderful blogs of which will soon enough show you what i make is just slightly above average at best. I belong to a special club of frustrated painters lol. Ive been paintin so long i really should be better than i am...take a look at cool mini or not. How the hell do they get that good???!!! Lol and as for sculpting..its new to me and my skills are very hit and miss. I try different techniques with each thing i create in hope o improving. So am i overly modest? Im not sure. Honest maybe :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » August 19th, 2013, 3:33 am

Well it seems like you are comparing what you're making to professionals. I know I do that at times when trying to get better at anything. I look at things much better than what I'm doing at try to learn/mimic/steal/what-have-you from the better example. But if you examine your stuff from at least my viewpoint it's a whole lot better than what I'd come up with. That's my take on it. Of course you're going to not look at your as being as good as a pros, it may never be. But someone who's just starting down the rabbit hole of no return that we call miniatures yours is above just simply 'tabletop quality'. So long as you're getting better, even if it's painfully slow, you're making progress. I sometimes feel like I should quit while I'm behind to save myself some time and frustration :evil: of tragic paint jobs.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby ampersand » August 19th, 2013, 6:48 am

Personally i think aspiring to be as good as possible is only a positive thing :) but on a side note the first figure i ever painted was a fimir when heroquest first came out (using enamel paints too) and 20 odd years later i think my skill level when it comes to painting does not reflect my experience..my hands are getting shakier and my eyesight gettin worse. So i think very much that ive hit my peak there. Itst patience levels now that get challenged. Sometimes when creating i think "screw this" and that shows with what i do. I think its quite easy to tell what ive put time and effort into...plus we are always our own worse critics arent we :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » August 19th, 2013, 7:52 am

The point of painting miniatures is to give them particular details so that what they represent will be clearly recognizable. Once the paint job has obtained such clear recognition of details, it can then, technically, be complete. Sometimes, painting more detail than necessary can actually result in less-recognizable clarity. The above pieces show what is basically the ideal level of detail--it succeeds in being clearly recognizable, and then has an added touch more detail which also makes them enjoyable to behold.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » August 19th, 2013, 8:34 am

That is very true chaoticprime. Sometimes a painted army looks spectacular on the table, but if you examine a single model close up it may in fact be "poorly" painted. But the army still looks good because the basic details are visible.
When people say they can't paint minis I always respond that even the poorest paintjob is infinitely better than no paintjob.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures