• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Website 2021 updates

Found some typos or dead links? Is there an area you would like to see added? Is there something you would like to contribute to Ye Olde Inn? Let us know!
Forum rules
Please post only those issues relating to the http://www.yeoldeinn.com/ Website and its pages. Issues relating to the Ye Olde Inn Community Forum or Blog do not go here.

Website 2021 updates

Postby iKarith » October 4th, 2021, 6:54 pm

Page template

If you want to see the current test site, hit up https://www.yeoldeinn.com/inntest/.

I've said elsewhere, but the existing YeOldeInn website outside of the forum is 70 pages in more or less (often less) 15 different translations, with two site archives. We're cutting back (sort of) from 1000+ pages on the main site to just the 70, but about half of most of those pages is actually boilerplate page template code. Getting this right is a big job, but it's half the work of the 70 or so pages. When the public facing part of this is done, I'll have something to show you all.

• :greenorb: https links if using https
  • :greyorb: Stylesheet (80%)
  • :greenorb: Header components
  • Footer components
    • :greenorb: Expanding HeroQuest
    • :greyorb: Dedication/legal (75%)
    • :greyorb: Best viewed/badges (99%, need to fix links)
  • Graphics
    • :greyorb: Vector main site logo
    • :greenorb: Vector Search button
    • :greenorb: Vector HTML5/CSS3/JS badges
    • :greenorb: Vector background that's harms contrast less (thx StratosVX!)
    • :greenorb: Vector gold bar buttons
    • :greyorb: Higher-res replacements for game/expansion GIFs (10%)
  • :greyorb: Webfonts (85%)
  • :greyorb: Accessibility controls (45%)
  • :greyorb: PHP templatee infrastructure (90%)
  • :greyorb: Modern SEO (40%)

The template for the site is fully HTML5 now. It works on mobile. (Press F12 and then click the phone/desktop button that pops up to be able to change the page size easily to test.) The page content doesn't because I'm still working on infrastructure/template for a first phase. There's a second phase that later on which is adequately explained by the fact https://www.yeoldeinn.com/inntest/layout.html shows the site to have four separate nav sections per page, in addition to looking rather GeoCities-like. :mrgreen:

Phase 1 is get the site's basic structure modernized. Phase 2 will be porting all the content to the new site. At that point, drathe may be ready to deploy it to replace what we've got now. Phase 3 will be redoing the site template to make things easier find, add to, etc.

The SVG backgroundS (there are two) are finished. The first one is a 200px square checkerboard with noise in colors that kind of look parchmenty (so like agins-parchment2.gif, the current background on most pages.) Then, StratosVX helped me center the converted eps files from HeroScribe, I rescaled them to 50 units each and plugged them into the same 3x3 grid pattern as the gif. I then took advantage of the fact that this is Kaos, ve don't zzzzt here! Er, I mean, this is vector rendering and we have an alpha channel. The icons are a watermark laid on top of the checkerboard pattern so that what's actually repeating visually is a little less distracting for doing so. It's a clever little hack.

Webfonts are coming. Dark mode will be first since if I'm gonna read the webfonts during development, I'm personally gonna need the extra contrast of dark mode first.

CSS and HTML both could use a little cleanup but they're getting there. So could the PHP but you can't see that yet. I intend that to change since I could literally put this code in a git repo somewhere for y'all to check out and poke at as you like. I'm probably gonna have to be able to log into cpanel for setting that up if drathe doesn't want to take the time to learn git and the cpanel method for setting that up for deployment. Come to think of it, I need to learn the cpanel method of deploying a git website. Future…

I think I'll give it one more pass on the template and CSS after I've had some sleep and then see if I can fix up that page content. I mean, the template HTML is probably as good as it's gonna be, SEO notwithstanding. The CSS maybe needs a little more, but it's mostly there too. Oh, get a good look at the comparison between the MotM button I left in the component nav as it compares to my CSS buttons if you want them both within easy reach for comparison. I'm dropping that in my next push to the server in a day or two.
Last edited by iKarith on October 11th, 2021, 1:56 pm, edited 11 times in total.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Website 2021 updates

Postby iKarith » October 4th, 2021, 6:55 pm

2/4 - language stuff will go here

Slooooow because of anti-spam feature and I don't have permission to post fast.

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » October 4th, 2021, 7:01 pm

3/4 Placeholder for stuff I need … for now, I know I'm going to need scans from the box fronts from the game and various expansions. Whatever res you've got, reply after #4 if you have them … they're going to get rescaled to replace the tiny GIFs on the pages for system, KK, RotWL, AtOH, etc. Again, organizing this tonight.

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » October 4th, 2021, 7:03 pm

4/4 Future expansion. I still have to shove Agin/Phoenix archives back in there, and then there's the forum.

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » October 5th, 2021, 6:34 am

iKarith wrote:3/4 Placeholder for stuff I need … for now, I know I'm going to need scans from the box fronts from the game and various expansions. Whatever res you've got, reply after #4 if you have them … they're going to get rescaled to replace the tiny GIFs on the pages for system, KK, RotWL, AtOH, etc. Again, organizing this tonight.

KK scans here.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby iKarith » October 5th, 2021, 10:56 am

Just updated the top post with a lot of what I've done and am doing, and … when I'll be at a point to share something!

StratosVX wrote:KK scans here.

Thanks StratosVX!

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby iKarith » October 8th, 2021, 4:40 am

Opinions wanted:

https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/woo ... 765456.htm

Ye Olde
INN

…with grapes on the sign. Chains are too long and I want a darker, more weathered palette, but that's all pretty easy to change.

Also, made progress on a lot of things. A little CSS and I'll be ready to put something up for you guys to see in time for the weekend.

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » October 8th, 2021, 5:31 am

@ Inn members
A reminder that anyone skilled in vector graphics is invited to help iKarith with drathe's Inn sign, the HeroQuest logo, or the gold bar images found on each country's homepage. Upgrading the Inn needn't be a solo Quest for the Web Mage!

@iKarith
I'd figure readability of Ye Olde Inn is primary. It's a fairly long name, so if you want more than one plank I'd say two would be a good compromise for a larger-lettered sign. If you go with a darker sign, lighter letters may contrast better. Grapes sounds interesting--a vine could serve as a nice border. Also, the Orc-with-ale icon |_P (already made) might work as an appropriate alternative.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby iKarith » October 8th, 2021, 11:32 pm

I don't need a new logo right away—I'm sort of planning that for later down the line … basically, I figure the Inn logo probably is going to need to lose the HQ branding at some point. So the new Inn logo is something I'm proposing to be a taller sign that hangs down from offscreen. I'm asking now because I'd like to get people thinking about it long before we get there.

What I have in mind for the buttons is a radial gradient for the "face" of the button, and then … I'm not real sure what for the bevel, actually. If I do it, the bevel's likely to look pretty sharp because that's what I'm able to create. Someone else might be able to do better. That I'll need much sooner—but after I've done it, someone else can still improve upon it. I have the PSD used to create the original if it'd help to have that.

Rewards:
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Stig » October 9th, 2021, 1:48 am

iKarith wrote:I don't need a new logo right away—I'm sort of planning that for later down the line … basically, I figure the Inn logo probably is going to need to lose the HQ branding at some point. So the new Inn logo is something I'm proposing to be a taller sign that hangs down from offscreen. I'm asking now because I'd like to get people thinking about it long before we get there.

What I have in mind for the buttons is a radial gradient for the "face" of the button, and then … I'm not real sure what for the bevel, actually. If I do it, the bevel's likely to look pretty sharp because that's what I'm able to create. Someone else might be able to do better. That I'll need much sooner—but after I've done it, someone else can still improve upon it. I have the PSD used to create the original if it'd help to have that.

I can help with the sign, I play with GIMP here and there and could export something to an SVG

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Website Discussion Room