• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

D&D 4th edition

Topics relating to Dungeons & Dragons.

Re: D&D 4th edition

Postby chaoticprime » January 16th, 2014, 6:52 pm

Take a sheet of notebook paper, and then number each line from 1 to 30. When initiative gets announced, write each player's name next to their initiative count. If there's a tie, bump upwards or downwards until there's an open slot. Each round do this again in a new column until you need a new sheet.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby soppathekeitto » January 17th, 2014, 2:43 am

Teldurn wrote:
soppathekeitto wrote:Have to battle that first battle in the cave tomorrow. I hope that i survived. BUt i have to check more about those "second wind" cards i didnt C any mention about them begining of the starter book only in the end. B(.

with this i start to hunt some goblins B) http://puu.sh/6njHc

Initiative is it so that if the chracters get bigger number they start and if the monsters then they start or invidual turns per character and monster like

monster,character,monster,monster,monster,character,character... ?

Good luck in your game! :)

If I understand you correctly, then yes you're right. Initiative is the order of who goes before who. So for example, if Soppa has an initiative of 14 and monster 1 has initiative of 12 and monster 2 has initiative of 17, then the turns go like this
Monster 2 (17)
Soppa (14)
Monster 1 (12)

You roll 1d20 and add that number to your Initiative modifier, which is 1 as you can see.

Frist round
Monster 2 (17)
Soppa (14)
Monster 1 (12)
-----------------------
After this do i roll again Initiative roll ? or play in that order to point where the monsters are dead or i am ?

Here is wat i rolled
soppa 21
Goblin1 10
Goblin2 19
Goblin3 15
Goblin4 5

so
This was the start

1.soppa(34) Move:6
2.G2 Move:6, Attack 9+6(15vs17) miss
3.G3 Move:6
4.G1 Move:6, Attack 18+6(24vs17) hit -4
5.G4 Move:6

6.soppa((30) BattleFury (stance +2dgm bonus) 1+7 (8vs15) miss
7.G2 Attack 5+6 (11vs17) miss
8.G3 Attack 9+6(15vs17) miss
9.G1 Attack 11+6(17vs17) hit -4
10.G4 Attack 8+6(14vs17) miss

11.soppa(26) Attack 3+7(10vs15) miss
12.G2 Attack 5+6 (11vs17) miss
13.G3 Attack 10+6 (16vs17) miss
14.G1 Attack 5+6 (11vs17) miss
15.G4 Attack 11+6 (17vs17) hit -4

16.soppa(22) Attack 8+7(15vs15) hit D12+6 8+6+2bonus(16) kill ? Goblin nro 2 is dead
17.G3 Attack 17+6 (23vs17) hit -4
18.G1 Attack 20+6 (26vs17) hit -4
19.G4 Attack 17+6 (23vs17) hit -4

20.soppa(10). BIG QUESTION can i use skill HEAL to my self ? or does that mean that i can use my SECOND WIND to another player but then i loose it ? . Just readet the DM book about it. i attacked first then used secon wind to heal my self wit surge
20.soppa(10+8 from surge) Attack 20+7(27vs15) 1+6+2bonus(9) kill Goblin nro:3
21.G1 Attack 6+6(12vs17+2) miss +2 bonus because second wind
22.G4 Attack 11+6(17vs17+2) miss +2 bonus because second wind

23.soppa(18), Attack 19+7(26vs15) 1+6+2(9) Kill Goblin nro:1
24.G4 Attack 18+6 (24vs17) hit -4

25.soppa (14) Attack 13+7 (20vs15) 9+6+2(17) kill Gobln nro:4

JEI killed them ?

Here is some pictures about it
http://puu.sh/6nXFJ.jpg Start
http://puu.sh/6nXGD.jpg First move
http://puu.sh/6nXKN.jpg Goblins start to move
http://puu.sh/6nXKX.jpg All direction attack
This is now after my first kill
http://puu.sh/6nXPC.jpg
Morcar 14 charater killed Character 0 survived the TrialAmatsoni 4 (Quest) survived
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10430133/
soppathekeitto

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Suomi
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » January 17th, 2014, 12:34 pm

soppathekeitto wrote:After this do i roll again Initiative roll ? or play in that order to point where the monsters are dead or i am ?

Here is wat i rolled
soppa 21
Goblin1 10
Goblin2 19
Goblin3 15
Goblin4 5

You did initiative exactly correct. Once you have the initiative order, it stays that way until combat is over.

soppathekeitto wrote:BIG QUESTION can i use skill HEAL to my self ? or does that mean that i can use my SECOND WIND to another player but then i loose it ? . Just readet the DM book about it. i attacked first then used secon wind to heal my self wit surge

You use Second Wind to heal yourself. But don't forget that you can only use it once per encounter, and you also gain +2 to all defenses (AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will) until the start of your next turn.

The Heal skill is usually made to stabilize a dying character. I think you can also use Heal on another character to let them use their Second Wind without using a healing surge, but they do not get the +2 bonus from it. You can't use the Heal skill on yourself the same way.

soppathekeitto wrote:Here is some pictures about it
http://puu.sh/6nXFJ.jpg Start
http://puu.sh/6nXGD.jpg First move
http://puu.sh/6nXKN.jpg Goblins start to move
http://puu.sh/6nXKX.jpg All direction attack
This is now after my first kill
http://puu.sh/6nXPC.jpg

Sounds like a fun time! Congratulations.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby soppathekeitto » January 17th, 2014, 8:17 pm

Thanx !!! Heh now big problem is that we all suck being DM.

I try to explane to one of the players about Fortitude, Reflex and Will that some point we are going to use them as defense or some thing.

same guy allmost died in the first "Encounter" against 4 goblin He run away and then when the my other friend made his character they both whent to do that first Encounter.

Image so i attack but i throw baddly like d20=4+7 attack bonus i dislike it and throw again ?

this is odd i cant find anything about this Utility is the Utility hmm if i hav trained endurance i get this by default ? Image

and we argued what SHIFT means.
Morcar 14 charater killed Character 0 survived the TrialAmatsoni 4 (Quest) survived
soppathekeitto

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » January 18th, 2014, 11:50 am

Being a DM comes with lots of practice. Just keep at it and give it time.

How many players are there? I don't know why each of you are doing the same encounter separately. If there are 4 players then you should have 4 characters and 4 goblins in the first encounter, instead of 1 like your picture shows. The game is about working together as a team.

Yes for Human Versatility. That's how it works.

For Minor Resurgence, that is a level 2 power. You can't get that until you get to level up first.

Shift means moving one square without allowing an Opportunity Attack. If you move without shifting first, then the enemy gets a free hit on you. Also in later levels there are certain kinds of movement that only works with shifting. The definition should be at the back of the book as well If you need to look it up.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby soppathekeitto » January 18th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Teldurn wrote:Being a DM comes with lots of practice. Just keep at it and give it time.

Yepp it was like all 3 argue that who have to sacrifice to be DM (at night around 0300 am i started think a whatta hell i can be DM i just have to find away to play it some time else)

How many players are there? I don't know why each of you are doing the same encounter separately. If there are 4 players then you should have 4 characters and 4 goblins in the first encounter, instead of 1 like your picture shows. The game is about working together as a team.

3 (i foughted that Quest by my self) but in the end 1. My friend tryed it allmost died and then i told him that he can played it with our other friend when he is done his character.

Yes for Human Versatility. That's how it works.

so clarifity i throw 4+7 dislike it and then throw let say 4+7+(4) <- because of the EFFECT ?

For Minor Resurgence, that is a level 2 power. You can't get that until you get to level up first.
Ah so that why it read UTILITY 2 ??

Shift means moving one square without allowing an Opportunity Attack. If you move without shifting first, then the enemy gets a free hit on you
(you mean Opportunity attack ? ).
Also in later levels there are certain kinds of movement that only works with shifting. The definition should be at the back of the book as well If you need to look it up.

Yep i have readed that book in this hole day and brains says WTF go to sleep. But i Try to play that SOLO Quest that came with the red box (have to donwload from the DungeonandDragons.com) Ghost Tower of the Witchlight Fens

about 30minutes ago my friend that started to argue about those Reflex points called and asked forgivenes for he whas wrong and i whas right about when those are used. And same hearthbeat he asked what book he have to buy to make paladin character ? so is it Player handbook 4th edution 1-3 to get ? + DM handbook 4th edition that we need to get ?

This game is Good but i got new new things to learn. i have started to wrote own rule book or how it is told to me how rules are used. Like passivepoints and flangin, prone things
soppathekeitto

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » January 18th, 2014, 11:27 pm

soppathekeitto wrote:
Teldurn wrote:Yes for Human Versatility. That's how it works.

so clarifity i throw 4+7 dislike it and then throw let say 4+7+(4) <- because of the EFFECT ?

Yes. Basically you get a free +4 once an encounter.

soppathekeitto wrote:
Teldurn wrote:For Minor Resurgence, that is a level 2 power. You can't get that until you get to level up first.
Ah so that why it read UTILITY 2 ??

Correct.

soppathekeitto wrote:
Teldurn wrote:Shift means moving one square without allowing an Opportunity Attack. If you move without shifting first, then the enemy gets a free hit on you
(you mean Opportunity attack ? ).

Yes that's what I mean.

soppathekeitto wrote:Yep i have readed that book in this hole day and brains says WTF go to sleep. But i Try to play that SOLO Quest that came with the red box (have to donwload from the DungeonandDragons.com) Ghost Tower of the Witchlight Fens

I'm not familiar with Ghost Tower of the Witchlight Fens. I never got into the Essentials stuff. I basically stuck with the basic game.

soppathekeitto wrote:about 30minutes ago my friend that started to argue about those Reflex points called and asked forgivenes for he whas wrong and i whas right about when those are used. And same hearthbeat he asked what book he have to buy to make paladin character ? so is it Player handbook 4th edution 1-3 to get ? + DM handbook 4th edition that we need to get ?

Your friend can make a paladin with just Player's Handbook 1. No need to buy the other books unless you want to have more options to play with. Whoever is going to be the DM will want to have the Dungeon Master's Guide and a Monster Manual.

soppathekeitto wrote:This game is Good but i got new new things to learn. i have started to wrote own rule book or how it is told to me how rules are used. Like passivepoints and flangin, prone things

Flanking is when two characters are on opposite sides of a monster, the characters get a +2 to attack that monster. Prone means someone is lying down on the ground. They have to spend a move action to stand up. Again, all these game terms are defined in the back of the book. :)

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby soppathekeitto » January 19th, 2014, 3:58 am

THanx again B). I got phone call yesterday my cousins friend is going to sell me those 3 book Dungeons&Dragons 4th editionbasic rules:

Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual

just need to clarify so when i cross water i need to throw D20 + if i got athcletics against that DC8 that read next to map ?
This game needs picture tutorial about basic thinngs :roll: :lol: :oops:

I hope this is last for now but can you explane the CRIT hit so if i trhow 20 its a Crit. Do you still throw DMG dices?? or it is like full dmg 12(d12)+6=18DMG but if it is like this what about when i use powerstrike
trhow 20 then dmg 24(2d12)+6 =28dmg

Ok here is example from the solo quest can you shift backwards ? like this
soppathekeitto

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Teldurn » January 19th, 2014, 4:25 pm

soppathekeitto wrote:just need to clarify so when i cross water i need to throw D20 + if i got athcletics against that DC8 that read next to map ?

You only need to roll that if you are going over one of the 9 squares with rocks on them, not for the river. And when you roll d20, you add whatever your Athletics is, even if it is 0. You don't need to have it trained to use the skill.

soppathekeitto wrote:I hope this is last for now but can you explane the CRIT hit so if i trhow 20 its a Crit. Do you still throw DMG dices?? or it is like full dmg 12(d12)+6=18DMG but if it is like this what about when i use powerstrike

This is how a crit works. When you roll a natural 20 on the dice, you do maximum damage. So like your example, if your weapon does d12 damage +6 strength modifier, then you are correct. A crit makes that 18 damage. BUT! You need to remember that once you start finding or buying magic weapons, there is a line on there you have to roll for. Like this:
So for this weapon, it says for its critical is "+1d8 fire damage per plus." What that means is that if you have the +3 version of this weapon (lvl 15) and you score a crit, you would do for example 18 (just like the example above) + 3d8 fire. You need to add +1d8 for each plus of the weapon, and since that is the +3 version, it is +3d8.

soppathekietto wrote:Ok here is example from the solo quest can you shift backwards ? like this

Yes, you can shift backward one square, but you can also shift one square diagonal, too. So you can end up either on the square above Goblin1 or Goblin3. But if you shift diagonal to Goblin3, you also have to roll the DC8 Athletics because that is a boulder square.

As a side note, whoever S is (I think Soppa?), goblins 1 and 5, and by goblins 4 and 3 are all flanking S. So if any of those 4 goblins tried to attack, they would get +2. Goblin2 does not have flank.

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby soppathekeitto » January 19th, 2014, 5:21 pm

Teldurn wrote:
soppathekeitto wrote:just need to clarify so when i cross water i need to throw D20 + if i got athcletics against that DC8 that read next to map ?

You only need to roll that if you are going over one of the 9 squares with rocks on them, not for the river. And when you roll d20, you add whatever your Athletics is, even if it is 0. You don't need to have it trained to use the skill.

soppathekeitto wrote:I hope this is last for now but can you explane the CRIT hit so if i trhow 20 its a Crit. Do you still throw DMG dices?? or it is like full dmg 12(d12)+6=18DMG but if it is like this what about when i use powerstrike

This is how a crit works. When you roll a natural 20 on the dice, you do maximum damage. So like your example, if your weapon does d12 damage +6 strength modifier, then you are correct. A crit makes that 18 damage. BUT! You need to remember that once you start finding or buying magic weapons, there is a line on there you have to roll for. Like this:
So for this weapon, it says for its critical is "+1d8 fire damage per plus." What that means is that if you have the +3 version of this weapon (lvl 15) and you score a crit, you would do for example 18 (just like the example above) + 3d8 fire. You need to add +1d8 for each plus of the weapon, and since that is the +3 version, it is +3d8.

soppathekietto wrote:Ok here is example from the solo quest can you shift backwards ? like this

Yes, you can shift backward one square, but you can also shift one square diagonal, too. So you can end up either on the square above Goblin1 or Goblin3. But if you shift diagonal to Goblin3, you also have to roll the DC8 Athletics because that is a boulder square.

As a side note, whoever S is (I think Soppa?), goblins 1 and 5, and by goblins 4 and 3 are all flanking S. So if any of those 4 goblins tried to attack, they would get +2. Goblin2 does not have flank.

S is sareth (elf in the solo quest and i am that ööö PC ) by the way everyone charachter can move every direction and attack diagonal etc.
soppathekeitto

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Dungeons & Dragons Room