• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Advanced Heroquest, Where is the Love?

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Re: Advanced Heroquest, Where is the Love?

Postby Count Mohawk » January 20th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Once was Mortimer wrote:I might have to reread it, I thought characters could leave a death zone, just at the risk of a free attack.

As it turns out, I misquoted. If you walk into a death zone, you have to stop moving there, but can leave the death zone normally on your next turn. I didn't see anything in the rules about attacks of opportunity, but I might have missed them so I won't comment one way or the other on that. (Source is slev's March 2015 rewrite of the rules)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby slev » January 20th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Count Mohawk wrote:
Once was Mortimer wrote:I might have to reread it, I thought characters could leave a death zone, just at the risk of a free attack.

As it turns out, I misquoted. If you walk into a death zone, you have to stop moving there, but can leave the death zone normally on your next turn. I didn't see anything in the rules about attacks of opportunity, but I might have missed them so I won't comment one way or the other on that. (Source is slev's March 2015 rewrite of the rules)

Neither my version nor the original, has attacks of oppertunity.

In the original, deathzones are "focussed" on the first model to enter, so they only affect teh first figure. This gets confusing after more than one overlapping death zone.

I changed it so that you can keep moving if also in a friendly deathzone. Much easier to track.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » January 22nd, 2016, 4:22 am

I've incorporated a version of that into my HQ rules;

Reach - All 8 adjacent squares surrounding a model count as within reach. If you move within reach of a monster then your turn ends (aside from combat). However you can move through a square occupied by a Hero that is within reach of a monster and not be affected yourself. [This represents heroes using other heroes as a “human” shield (or racial equivalent).]
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » January 22nd, 2016, 4:54 am

Yeah, it plays so much faster, is so much easier to track, and means that a large group can force their way past a smaller group.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » January 22nd, 2016, 8:23 am

Owning and playing both games, I do like AHQ it is more of a roleplay system, I think maybe the lack of diversity of models in the box didn't help the game, especial after HQ's release with a menagerie of monsters.
Also the game dose lack a bit of the feel of HQ, can't put my finger on why but it doesn't seem as.... is quaint the word I want? I don't know, but it feels different. HQ is like a film that you have loved since its release, sure it has a few plot holes but it works. AHQ feels like the sequel released later, it doesn't have the same qualities and the plot seems a bit more convoluted, and the budget feels a little less. But that's just me!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » January 22nd, 2016, 8:35 am

I agree with Baylors comment. There's something intangible missing from AHQ, for me. I don't like modular set ups, especially when it's a lot of 2-wide hallways. Feels cramped to me. While HQ had narrow hallways, it was mostly open rooms, to me, that's what makes all the difference.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » January 22nd, 2016, 9:31 am

clmckay wrote:I agree with Baylors comment.
Me too!

In order of importance.

1. The art style.
2. Tables instead of cards.
3. Lack of monster variety.
4. D12s instead of combat dice.
5. Modular board instead of the nice HQ one.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby slev » January 22nd, 2016, 10:26 am

I'll admit, the two games playa and feel very different. The only similarity is in the theme and name, and the latter is only there for marketing purposes.

The excessive corridors is somethingI fixed by adjusting the tables. Ditto the lask of monster variety.

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 22nd, 2016, 10:58 am

AHQ is great for playing HQ on, especially some kind of no EWP, dungeon generator.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 22nd, 2016, 11:09 am

slev wrote:I changed it so that you can keep moving if also in a friendly deathzone. Much easier to track.

I like this, it makes perfect sense. The other hero is engaged in battle not you. if you end movement in the zone a Hero in the zone could then move away (if not moved), representing that the other Hero has engaged the Baddie!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room