• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Advanced Heroquest, Where is the Love?

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Re: Advanced Heroquest, Where is the Love?

Postby Daedalus » March 25th, 2014, 2:59 am

HeroQuestFrance wrote:More, since it's now the entire property of Hasbro UK and no more games workshop, it means you can edit rules without being attacked by a lawyer who claims copryright or trademark at each web page.

Source?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Patroclus » March 25th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Daedalus wrote:
HeroQuestFrance wrote:More, since it's now the entire property of Hasbro UK and no more games workshop, it means you can edit rules without being attacked by a lawyer who claims copryright or trademark at each web page.

Source?

AHQ is 100% from Games Workshop. It’s not MB- it’s not Hasbro. It could be the best dungeon crawler (better than WHQ in my opinion), if there was not the HQ. And as GK said, "why bother with another game that resembles it".

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » March 25th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Yep. Seeing as how it was written by Jervis Johnson in the late 80's, there is no way it could belong to any other entity but Games Workshop.

Why bother with another game that resembles HQ? Well to cannibalize it for parts of-course! That's what I did in my youth! But see my link earlier in this thread... I agree, it is better that Warhamer Quest.

I want to express something about the tone of AHQ which I can't quite put into words at the moment... Let me think on it a little.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ragnar IronFist » March 26th, 2014, 12:29 pm

Does anybody cannibalize AHQ for some of the rules and gameplay as well? I agree that the simplicity of HQ is awesome. RPGs are beyond me and I am no 'game master'. Even looking at AHQ rules makes my head start to spin a little....

BUT...

I DO very much like some of the more rpg-like details. I like not knowing the dungeon in advance. Rolling/drawing for room type, traps and to populate rooms... (Some of this may change now that I splurged on some Dwarven Forge goodness).
I also like fate points and hiring some henchmen.

So how many use some of these aspects but keeps HQ combat simplicity? Or the opposite... use AHQ combat but with the pre-determined HQ dungeon board? Are there many mashers of the two games?
Ragnar IronFist

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » March 26th, 2014, 2:09 pm

AHQ has rules for a maze sub-level as a part of a larger dungeon complex of regular modular tiles.

I have toyed around with replacing the d12 combat in AHQ with skull dice, and it seems to work well enough... What I did was convert d12 Damage Dice 1-to-1 with skull dice. I then halved the toughness values (before armor) plus armor bonus for defense dice. Hit rolls were still made prior to damage. It seemed to equate to the same results of the regular AHQ combat but actually required one extra roll (defenders do not roll in AHQ). It also lost the potential for crushing critical hits and back-and-forth fumbles which make AHQ so unpredictable and unique.
Last edited by gootchute on March 26th, 2014, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » March 26th, 2014, 2:11 pm

There's nothing to cannibalize. All material is styleless and useless, except maybe the minis (which come unbelievably cheap via ebay, at least in Europe) and the doors.
All cardboard material is utterly ugly in my eyes.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » March 26th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Ragnar IronFist wrote:Does anybody cannibalize AHQ for some of the rules and gameplay as well? I agree that the simplicity of HQ is awesome. RPGs are beyond me and I am no 'game master'. Even looking at AHQ rules makes my head start to spin a little....

BUT...

I DO very much like some of the more rpg-like details. I like not knowing the dungeon in advance. Rolling/drawing for room type, traps and to populate rooms... (Some of this may change now that I splurged on some Dwarven Forge goodness).
I also like fate points and hiring some henchmen.

So how many use some of these aspects but keeps HQ combat simplicity? Or the opposite... use AHQ combat but with the pre-determined HQ dungeon board? Are there many mashers of the two games?

Yes, you can do that. They are two different systems for the same thing, dungeon crawling. You can play HQ quests with AHQ rules and HQ rules with AHQ quests. I choose the second because the AHQ rules are more complicated and you can die in the first room. The bad is that AHQ is based in auto generated quests and there is only 3 or 4 quests with pre-determined maps, and are not something special. I admit that the critical(gains immediately a free attack if you score 12)/famble (the opponent gains immediately a free attack against you when you score 1) rule is very interesting, and gives you a feeling of real action as you can kill a monster in one round if you score many critical hits, or if you hit your opponent and you score 1 he can hit you back, if he rolls a 1 then you can hit him again, etc. Though, it’s good it’s not enough when the things that you do very fast in HQ, in AHQ takes too much longer… But it’s very possible for some people to like that “depth”. For sure, it is a challenge to play a very difficult game…

For example an archer should count his arrows and after the combat he can retrieve each arrow with a 7+ for each. And if you got a famble you are hitting a hero (if there is anyone too close) instead of the monster.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » March 26th, 2014, 10:19 pm

When I used to play AHQ and there was a string of fumbles back-and-forth, I always imagined the characters locked in a grapple, flailing, kneeing and biting each other. The game just felt so gritty.

I guess what I was trying to say about the tone in: it is gritty, unforgiving dungeon crawling. I was hoping to say that more eloquently and with more/better examples.

Oh Ragnar, if you want a melding of both games look up Allied Heroquest, a fan-made variant. Sleek presentation, streamlined rules, very competitive board game, rather than an RPG-lite dungeon crawl.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » March 30th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Ragnar IronFist wrote:Does anybody cannibalize AHQ for some of the rules and gameplay as well?...

My HQ house rules borrowed a bit from the strength/weapon relationship. I'm also working on furniture cards that include tables. I might incorporate this idea to include critical hits and fumbles:

Daedalus wrote:Another way to use a "wild die" critical hit is to count doubles on the movement dice (a 1 in 6 chance). This variant requires the movement dice to be rolled every turn, either as part of normal movement or after a successfully rolled attack without movement. A critical hit allows a Hero to reroll skull results for extra hits.

This doesn't work as well with monsters, as they don't have a movement roll and it removes the focus from the Heroes. For balance, fumbles could also be incorporated. Double 1s, 2s, and 3s could result in a fumble, while double 4s, 5s, and 6s would net a critical. A fumble forfeits a Hero's action that turn, resulting in no hits.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » August 6th, 2015, 4:58 pm

I just don't know? It is a more detailed and accurate game than HQ, and I thought when I bought it that it would replace HQ, but it never did for me. My brother and I tried it, but it just wasn't as much fun. My box sits there with all the figures plus extra Skaven all painted and with every expansion and article, but it hasn't been played for many years. Very sad, but it just didn't hit the spot with us like HQ.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room