• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Advanced HeroQuest Update Project

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Advanced HeroQuest Update Project

Postby slev » August 28th, 2014, 8:09 am

A couple of years ago, I started a project to "update" AHQ, and bring all the expansion material together.

I added a new character generation system, extra spell colleges, and re-balanced everything. It seems to work well after a few years of playtests.

The files are available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n5pqt85oskk9 ... jaw-a?dl=0

It does need a big update, I'm planning to hack it apart into volumes (core rules and various appendices) for ease of reference, and update a lot of the text in the appendices.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Advanced HeroQuest Update Project

Postby Daedalus » September 3rd, 2014, 3:08 pm

I'm glad you've decided to post your Advanced Heroquest rewrite here. It's also great to get it from Dropbox. I poured over a lot of it, but skipped over even more--AHQ is a beast!

It's looking very good. I wouldn't mind seeing the core rules evolved into a basic set of rules--not as severely as the cheat sheet, but less wordy than the original rules and simplified for an optional experience. It may be just me, but AHQ feels just a tad unapproachable, especially since I've been tooling with Hero Quest so much.

The only rule I noticed that rubbed me wrong was the KO--injury--death rule, which seemed drawn out to me. I imagine you have your reasons for extending a Hero's survival chances. Regardless, your ideas look like a solid go at improving the game. Great work!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby slev » September 4th, 2014, 3:45 pm

The next iteration of rules should be more to your liking. I'm moving KO/Injury/Death to an optional rule too!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » October 13th, 2014, 8:32 am

Started posting updates to the new site: http://advancedheroquest.webs.com/

New itteration should appear over the next few weekes.

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » January 29th, 2015, 1:06 pm

Life took me away from this projcet, but a combination of gaming starting up again this weekend and Ampersand's preassure/assistance has gotten things moving again.

I'm currently sprucing up the texts to make them easier to read. Meanwhile Ampersand has been working with me to improve the graphics.I am now wondering if anyone has an AHQ hazard markers for Rockfalls and/or Slime?

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ampersand » January 29th, 2015, 2:09 pm

lol....not gonna mention the template i made last night to cover the graphical elements then lol

pressure??? hahaha helpful nudge i call it

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » January 30th, 2015, 12:36 am

slev wrote:Life took me away from this project, but a combination of gaming starting up again this weekend and Ampersand's pressure/assistance has gotten things moving again.

I'm currently sprucing up the texts to make them easier to read. Meanwhile Ampersand has been working with me to improve the graphics.I am now wondering if anyone has an AHQ hazard markers for Rockfalls and/or Slime?

Did they ever make markers for these? TitD contained mushroom and mold tokens, but I'm not aware of slime and falling rock tokens.

Also, good to see your back on the project, I played 3 games with your previous versions. I liked it.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » January 30th, 2015, 3:11 am

gootchute wrote:Did they ever make markers for these? TitD contained mushroom and mold tokens, but I'm not aware of slime and falling rock tokens.

Nope, which is why I ask. I managed to shop-up markers for everything else!

gootchute wrote:Also, good to see your back on the project, I played 3 games with your previous versions. I liked it.

Thx dude!

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » February 2nd, 2015, 11:10 am

I just wanted to post here about the EPIC game we had last saturday.
Level 2 of The Amber Room turned out to be quite small, and the Heroes stumbled into the Quest room at almost full health.

Inside where 30 Stormvermin, a Poisoned Wind Mortar and the Warlock quest character.

This was when they decided to use a coupple of one-shot magical treasures they had found (they where carrying five one-shots between them).

Hence, the Amber Shaman Enchanter downed a Potion of Magical Aptitude, and spent his first turn casting a Scroll of Soul Share to give him the stats of the Dwarf Henchman, and Bear's Rage on himself as a combat buff. This meant that on the second turn, he could cast Boar's Hide on himslef and wade into combat.

As a result of the Priestes pf Myrmiddia having used a Blessing of Skill to boost everyone's melee ability, the Wizard's two-handed sword allowed him to plough though the stormvermin with support ftrom the Ogre Berserker, while the Hench-Dwarf and Priestess tanked in the door and the Elven Waywatcher and Halfling Scout sniped to eliminate the Mortar & Warlock.

When the hour was darkest, the wizard as almost dead from a dozen wounds, he remembered that with his bonus cast from the potion, he could auto-cast an enchated Shed Skin and recover all his wounds if he could clear the deathzones of the enemy.

The party consider these two magic items to have been a roaring success, and where then made up when the treasure in the room included a Spell Wand with 12 charges of a healing Spell (think it was the Jade one, I forget). They consider this a MAJOR treasure as they are so starved of significant magic with the revised tables.

Rewards:
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » February 6th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Sounds awesome!!
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room